What's new

Top 20 selling videogames (March 2002) (1 Viewer)

Peter Manojlovich

Second Unit
Since you don't own an xbox, by your own admission, what does your play time of these three games consist of. Your own statements seem to indicate only a cursory experience. I think that in order to hold an opinion on a game, you would need something more comprehensive than a brief test run at your local EB xbox kiosk. I would suggest that what you are professing is not so much an opinon, but rather an impression. And your impressions are more than likely to be influenced by your own internal bias.

Regardless, your credibility is highly questionable. Am I going to value the opinion of someone who doesn't own an xbox and appears on the surface to be your standard anti-xbox zealot who takes it upon himself to evaluate xbox games, or someone who owns an xbox and has played a game thoroughly enough to have more than just a brushing encounter, and whose view of the game is opinon rather than some fleeting biased impression. I leave it to you, whose view would you have the higher regard for.

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member

So because Agent Under Fire is selling like hotcakes on three systems that its a good game??? No wait that would make it a Great game! OR that Crash Bandicoot is absolutely fucking AAA brillance, only to be bested by the likes of such Hall of Fame canidate titles like State of Emergency and Motocross Mania? I'm sure I will still talk about Motocross Mania this time next year.

HELL NO! The fact that I can still go and play something like Space Channel 5 on the DC and the fact that it feels fresh, even though I have played it over and over and over, that is why Sega Kicks My Ass. Me and my friends still talk about old Eternal Champions fights and old two player run throughs of Altered Beast, hell we still do that. As long as Sega keeps putting them out there, I will keep on buying them.

Dave Falasco

Screenwriter
Ugh. Another thread totally ruined by Public Troll #1. This forum gets less and less fun to read every day. :frowning:

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I'm very pleased to see Nintendo's SOFTWARE sales doing so well. I'd love to see how this list plays out in the coming months. Spider-man and Resident evil should chart in the next two months.

It'll be interesting to see which platform sells the most Spider-man games (PS2, likely).

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
So because Agent Under Fire is selling like hotcakes on three systems that its a good game???
I never said this! Where do you people get these things!!!

I said that a game sells bad/good because of how people see it. A bad game could have great sales or bad sales, as could a great game. A game sells good or bad because of public opinion and quality. Just because a game is good doesn't mean it will sell great.

And just because you think its good doesn't mean everyone else does, or even cares about it. Thats why some games have horrible sales but are great games (or suck and still have bad sales).

Dan B

Screenwriter
Morgan, I think you just had an argument with yourself. ;)
I'm not exactly sure who won, either.
-Dan

James D S

Screenwriter
So here I am reading this great little thread with some insightful discussion and then, all of a sudden, Michael quotes someone saying:
If I had the money and an X-Box, I would not purchase any of those 3 games. And the sad thing is, I know a lot of people who would agree with me.
I thought, WTF? I didn't read that anywhere. I wondered if Michael got confused, which isn't something he does often, as that statement would have stood out like Pauley Shore in an Ingmar Bergman movie and I would have noticed it (Thus lowering my appreciation for the dialogue here).
Then Walter posts a reply and it all makes sense.
Turns out I was right, it was Pauley Shore in an Ingmar Bergman movie.
I think the Ignore feature is one of the coolest things since light cycles, but it gets confusing sometimes. Though a pattern is starting to emerge.
Carry on. Please.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
James,
I use that same function, and for some of the same people you probably do. But sometimes I am in a good mood for a couple of weeks and turn it off. Then I get irritated enough then turn it back on. :)

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
Because you've decided to ignore yourself Brian? :)
Anyway, if I dare venture an opinion on that chart...
Its good to see the top slot going to such a top game. I bought it along with the rest of the world, it seems, and I finally see why SNES owners extracted the Michael out of my Megadrive owning brother (I was too much of an Amiga snob to touch anything with a joypad at the time).
Its nice too to see Brian & Co's GTA2 getting so many sales; I remember this getting a slightly lukewarm reception at the time due to the way it progressed the setting into a futuristic one (something GTA3 has gone back to the original on), so maybe people are seeing past that to the more complex multiple-clan balance now.
Microsoft should be concerned with its lack of significant presence in the chart, though Halo's continued grip suggests that people are still buying the hardware (its the big launch title, so probably mainly bought by new owners).
Actually Sonic's position as top Cube game in the chart is interesting - if we look past that and Agent Under Fire, the next title (SSB:M) isn't doing that much better than Halo, which suggests that the purchase of other big but old titles like Pikmin, Luigi or Monkey Ball isn't happening as much as Nintendo might like; surely the continued massive sales of GTA3 is connected to new PS2 sales?
It will certainly be interesting to see what happens in the UK chart post-XBox price changes this week.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
It will certainly be interesting to see what happens in the UK chart post-XBox price changes this week.
Your wish is my command:
UK TOP 20 VIDEOGAMES
LW TW TITLE PUBLISHER
1 2002 FIFA WORLD CUP Ea Sports
1 2 LMA MANAGER 2002 Codemasters
2 3 GRAND THEFT AUTO 3 Take 2
10 4 HALO: COMBAT EVOLVED Microsoft
3 5 SUPER MARIO ADVANCE 2 Nintendo
4 6 METAL GEAR SOLID 2 Konami
5 7 TONY HAWK'S PRO SKATER 3 Activision
7 8 MAX PAYNE Take 2
9 CHAMPIONSHIP MANAGER: SEASON 01/02 Eidos Interactive
8 10 STATE OF EMERGENCY Take 2
6 11 MONSTERS, INC. Disney Interactive
9 12 PRO EVOLUTION SOCCER Konami
23 13 PROJECT GOTHAM RACING Microsoft
13 14 HARRY POTTER - PHILOSOPHER'S STONE Ea Games
11 15 KNOCKOUT KINGS 2002 Ea Sports
18 16 SONIC ADVANCE Sega
12 17 CRASH BANDICOOT: XS Universal Interactive
34 18 DEAD OR ALIVE 3 Microsoft
14 19 FIFA 2002 Ea Sports
19 20 CRASH BANDICOOT - WRATH OF CORTEX
Taken from Charttrack

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
Thanks Brian - it certainly looks like that price cut has given the big Box a boost - 10th back up to 4th for Halo as just the top of three exclusives in the chart, and most of number 9's sales appear to be all on it as well. How it fares after Friday's Cube release shall be the real decider, of course.

(minor edit as I realise that this is the console only chart, without PC sales).

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
Well, it is the FA Cup Final next week, Kelley - I'd imagine American Football games do pretty well the week before Superbowl as well.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
There's also World Cup Fever going on. Though you'd never know it over here in the US. Sigh.

JoshF

Supporting Actor
Why does every sales chart thread start a console war? Why do the Xbox owners get frustrated with sales charts? Why do the PS2 owners hang the sales chart like a wartime banner? Why do the Gamecube owners shriek with joy as Mario continues to sell like Britney Spears CDs?

They're sales charts, people. They're reality. Don't argue with reality. It's frustrating.

Dave Falasco

Screenwriter
I hear you, Josh, but I think the problem comes in when people start using the fact that certain games aren't selling well as some kind of a "quality-barometer". These threads tend to run along smoothly with people commenting on games they think should be higher and others that are perhaps doing better than expected until someone comes along and says something to the effect of "I'm not surprised (X) game isn't selling well because I played it for three minutes in an EB booth and I wasn't impressed", and then defenders of the game jump in to make their case, and away we go... :rolleyes
It shouldn't have to be that way, but if wishes were fishes we'd all cast nets, eh? :frowning:

JoshF

Supporting Actor
Dave:
Totally true. Arguing about game quality and sales charts, though, is just like arguing music and DVD sales charts. Sure, Star Wars sells great and is a great movie, but there are those who just aren't into it. Same with Gladiator, or in music, again, Britney Spears. We all have that movie or band that we just love and sells poorly. I can't even get Delicatessen on DVD, and that still pains me! But I know that it wouldn't sell all that well, so the studio has little reason to release it. Or so I think.
I could freak all of you out by saying that I don't like Halo (which is true). I've done it before. I, too, don't dig JSRF. But don't hate me for that. My disdain for the game shouldn't take away from your enjoyment of it.
My point is this: if you like a game and it's not selling well, so what. Enjoy your happy little niche and stop worrying about what others think, especially me. :)

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I hear you, Josh, but I think the problem comes in when people start using the fact that certain games aren't selling well as some kind of a "quality-barometer"
I don't remember anyone saying that game sales meant anything about the quality of the game.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks