What's new

Top 10 Movies You'd Never Admit To Liking (1 Viewer)

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
I enjoyed Wing Commander too.
Same goes for:
Priscilla Queen of the Desert; Rocky Horror Picture Show; Flight of the Navigator; TANK GIRL (comic book is better); Explorers; The Shadow.

Some more movies I wouldn't normally admit to liking on a movie forum:

1) Die Hard
2) Predator
3) Robocop

And for For Leo's classics we don't admit to hating, I've read that as "movies many people have told me are classics"

1) The Usual Suspects (don't get me started)
2) Fight Club (hype, and the ending being spoiled sort of killed this for me)
3) Seven Samurai I actually found boring, and mostly dull to look at, nowhere near as enjoyable as Rashomon or Yojimbo.

Its funny you mention Lawrence, because Lawrence feels more like a guilty pleasure for me. Every time I watch it I feel the acting and dialogue are corny, but I just can't get enough of the cinematography. And because I don't care too much for the story too. I think I kind of like that aspect of it, so I watch it all the time. I guess, now I think about it, I have a weird relationship with it.

And as to why would anyone feel embarrassed to admit they like something? Why, because they're human. They want other people to think they have good taste, so they tend to stick to safer topics more likely to get them approval.

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
Why thank you- now this makes perfect sense, and completely invalidates my original response to this thread. It is clear to me now that folks desire to be seen to have "good taste', and thus go-with-the-flow, and this fundamental fact completely negates their having a personal opinion that is at odds with the all-important "popular' opinion. As such, they should hide said original (i.e., actual) opinion and be ashamed of it...

Thanks for clearing that up, Bob!

Vincent

Originally Posted by Ben Cheshire

And as to why would anyone feel embarrassed to admit they like something? Why, because they're human. They want other people to think they have good taste, so they tend to stick to safer topics more likely to get them approval.

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
Terrific, very under-rated movie that one need not be ashamed to admit liking...

That said, I'd really love to see if the original Director's Cut of this, titled EATERS OF THE DEAD after the novel.

Vincent

Originally Posted by Michael Warner

One of my most watched discs is "The 13th Warrior" so I've got that going for me.

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Vincent_P

Why thank you- now this makes perfect sense, and completely invalidates my original response to this thread. It is clear to me now that folks desire to be seen to have "good taste', and thus go-with-the-flow, and this fundamental fact completely negates their having a personal opinion that is at odds with the all-important "popular' opinion. As such, they should hide said original (i.e., actual) opinion and be ashamed of it...
And the prize for completely misunderstanding the OP's words, intent, and the tongue-in-cheek attitude of the thread goes to...

Guilty Pleasure: Grease 2
Classics I can't get into: On the Waterfront and From Here to Eternity...I just couldn't connect with the characters and the stories became boring when I didn't care anymore.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Offhand, one of my guilty pleasures for a fun, way-over-the-top, tongue-in-cheek, popcorn flick would be Charlie's Angels. I think Roger Ebert actually gave it 1/2 star.

_Man_

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Originally Posted by Man-Fai Wong

I guess if I actually still liked Short Circuit (or St Elmo's Fire) after all these years, that would be a clear case of one. I bought the DVD (of SC) in large part for the kids, and kinda regret that.

_Man_
You did buy the BD-version, did you? (I did.)

Cees

Ta for that, really nice to read a positive review of a movie that I think of as comedy genius. Literally. And have had to accept the preponderance of middling reviews. I just don't think these people could understand comedy, if they don't rate Anchorman.

Talladega Nights I didn't think was as funny. My favourite comedies are probably

1. This Is Spinal Tap (a critical favourite, but I'm a bit of a muso, and I watch this about once a month)

2. Groundhog Day (another critical favourite that I also happen to watch about once a day. :p )

3. Anchorman (have you listened to the commentary? Its the funniest, least helpful one ever made)

4. Knocked Up (Judd is a genius; and with this movie he finally makes a boys' club audience confront the most uncool problem ever: getting a girl pregnant, and he does it with a laugh a second, thanks to his egalitarian way with actors and improvisation)

5. 40 Year Old Virgin

6. Zoolander

Originally Posted by Neil Middlemiss

Great thread. I proudly point you to my review of Anchorma: The Legend of Ron Burgundy :)

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/forum/thread/266770/htf-hd-dvd-review-anchorman-the-legend-of-ron-burgundy

hampsteadbandit

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
rob cole
Waterworld

I love that film too!

films are weird because a film that a reviewer or friend hates, can have a "hook" or "something about it" that you love...

having seen 1000s of films over many years, as long as a film has something I appreciate, I will always rate that film, regardless of what professional critics or friends thing

I remember going to see Katheryn Bigelow's "Strange Days" (Ralph Fiennes, Juliette Lewis) in the cinema and falling in love with that film, despite very lukewarm reviews from film critics

the JCVD films "Hard Target" and "Cyborg" are similar films that many consider cr*p, but I highly rate...

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Well, since we're admitting it, I'm going to use several films I'd admit to absolutely loving, but still get strange stares over.

Back to the Beach - Frankie & Annette's most hilarious 1980s surf movie offering. I'm sorry, but I laugh my ass off everytime I see this film. It makes me smile every time. It's goofy, it's silly.. but it's great fun.

UHF - So underrated. Weird Al's ridiculous look at what would make up TV almost seems better now, in the era of reality programming for how on point with the crazy it got. When I first saw "I surved a Japanese Game Show" I IMMEDIATELY thought of "Wheel of Fish!" from UHF. Hilariously fun.

Lord of Illusions - Creepy film. Still one of the few horror films I thought was worth the effort. But ONLY the directors cut. I've finally scene the theater cut, and it's complete trash. The directors cut, which really only adds two scenes, is insanely creepy (to me)

Half Baked - even as a non-druggie, I have to admit, this film made me laugh. A lot.

Brain Candy - The Kids in the Hall Movie - INSANELY funny. I've tortured many people with this film who couldn't recognize how brilliant it was.

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
For me, hands down it has to be "Dude, Where's my Car?"

It has to be one of the stupidest movies I've ever seen, but I just love it, and laugh my ass off every time I watch it. Tons of great one liners in it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks