What's new

Top 10 Most Dangerous Jobs (1 Viewer)

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Dangerous for who? The truck driver or the dozens of people they wipe out when thier rigs crash (or when they fall asleep)?

Dan Hine

Screenwriter

I guarantee you that more wrecks are caused by non truck drivers than long haulers per vehicle on the road. I'm not saying this about you necessarily but most people I meet that complain about big truck drivers are 100times worse behind the wheel.

MikeH1

Screenwriter
Real Name
Billy

I read a fascinating article about this in a older National Geographic. The journalist went on a run with the crab boys and said he worked for days straight with no sleep.

Paul_Sjordal

Supporting Actor

Not necessarily. For one thing, roofing is the kind of occupation where it's very easy to become complacent about safety. For another thing, most roofers I know are categorically insane. Put the two together and I can very easily see roofers taking that spot on the list. :)

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
minimum 30 fatalities and 45,000 employed, there probably aren't enough fatalities or total employed for some of these other careers.

Wooo! #3 :D

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
My post really had nothing to do about the way they (or others around them) drive. The point was, considering a truck driver is #10 in that list, it's obvious that it is a dangerous job, and if you consider why it's dangerous, it's probably because of crashes. No matter who's at fault, if a truck driver has a "Dangerous" crash, it usually means disaster for many others.

Kinda like the pilot, if a pilot has a deadly day, so do many others. If (for sake of argument) a roofer has a bad day, it usually only affects himself.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member

Not in all cases. If you read the article they do actually explain that the majority of the pilot fatalities are from owner operator crashes, very high risk activities, bush pilot, crop spray, etc. Very few of the fatalities are airliners.

Evelio Figueroa

Second Unit

It all depends. If the load he was carrying was a deadly toxic gas, then yes, there would be a disaster.

An 18 wheeler is a large vehicle. A wreck with one of these can cause allot of damage. But I don't think its #10 on the list because of this. It has to be the hazardous loads. (Chemicals, Toxic gases, Gasoline, ETC.)

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
This is done on death rates, that's silly. It should be based on the potential of dying due to unexpected and unpredictable matters. Police officers, firefighters, those fisherman, construction guys, guys like that.

Roofers? Sorry, but just because a bunch of uneducated drunks fall off the ladder every year doesn't make the job potentially dangerous. Those are just morons.

But cops get killed all the time without even knowing they are about to be in a situation that's about to be bad. Like the Atlanta cop that got shot in his car just driving down the road. And look at firemen, roofers my ass. Those guys in Alaska in the middle of those huge storms, that's some risk there. Jobs where you can't always see the exact danger coming. Roofers know the danger, so secure the ladder better and get a harness.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Well, figuring by fatality alone doesn't tell you if a job is dangerous. Having worked with people who went into prison management, I can tell you that guards don't often get killed; but if you don't count on getting roughed up a few times a year or at least being at serious risk of getting messed up every day, then you're kidding yourself. A good friend from college works at Leavenworth pen.. I seriously doubt that's a job I'd consider "low risk"

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
getting roughed up or a minor injury is slightly different from death. I think it's pretty clear that the jobs are ranked by likelihood of death and not injury

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Yes, but I think if the idea is "most dangerous" then I tend to agree, death isn't the only problem you've got.. you can have a lot of idiots get killed doing jobs that are not day to day "dangerous" (I'm betting house painting or something came up on this list somewhere) if your every day work is dangerous is different then people getting killed because they made the job dangerous.

JamesCB

Second Unit

LOL, Jason! Made my day.

How about Repo guys? Probably not a high death rate, but very risky to attacks

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
Inner city middle school and high school teachers should definitely be on that list. With the emotional and quite often physical sacrifices that teachers make in the classroom, especially with the way some students act in today's times, their lives sometimes get on the line as a result. I should know. I used to be a middle/high school teacher for 10 years before my current job, and I can definitely share one horror story after another about what I saw and experienced in the classroom.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks