Tools and parts needed (9 pics)

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Jonathan T, Jul 17, 2004.

1. Jonathan T

Jonathan T Second Unit

I will be ordering some Adire Audio 12.1s within the next month. I need recomendations on the proper tools and parts I need to build the speakers and set them up properly. What, kind of wood does adire recomend? Do I need a multimeter, and if so, which one should I get? What about solder and an iron? What kind of speaker wire? What kind of DB meter?

Also, of these two rooms, which would probably be the best to put the speakers in? I know you can't tell exactly from just pics, but I'm sure some of you experienced guys could at least point me in the right direction.

The Loft
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Living Room
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sorry about the quality of some of these pics. I took them fast and at a low rez so they wouldn't take too long to load.

Edit: the rooms will be cleaned up, boxes and clothes will be moved. The desk on the loft will also be moved.

Edit2: One other question, what's teh difference between the first HE12.1 speakers and the Mark II?

2. James W. Johnson

James W. Johnson Screenwriter

Nice pad!
    You have many questions and many of which you will learn as you go. Just buy the kit and plan out how you are going to tackle it one step at a time.

3. Jonathan T

Jonathan T Second Unit

Aright, but don't you think I should at least have an idea of what iron and solder is should buy?

4. Andrew-_-_P

Andrew-_-_P Auditioning

I use a cheapo one from Radio Shack and it works fine.

5. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

To answer your questions:

What, kind of wood does adire recomend?

- Not sure. However, most people use MDF to build the cabinets and baffles for the speakers. Then, they utilize some form of laminate or veneer to finish them off.

Do I need a multimeter, and if so, which one should I get?

- You might not need a multimeter - unless you need to check resistance, etc. for the crossovers. If that's the case, head for Radio Shack and pick up one of their meters. Should be more than adequate for your speaker building project - and any other projects around the home in the future.

What about solder and an iron?

- Naturally, you'd use rosin-core solder. A simple 25 - 40 watt iron from Radio Shack should suffice. Personally, I hate the 25 watt irons because they barely get warm enough to melt the solder and tend to prefer the 40 watt versions.

What kind of speaker wire?

- 12 gauge wire from Home Depot. If you want to be neat on the inside of the cabinets, you could use the 12 gauge in-wall wiring that has a grey sheathing on it.

What kind of DB meter?

- Analog meter from Radio Shack.

6. Jonathan T

Jonathan T Second Unit

I read through the particulars on Adire's website, they say that everything is matched and labeled, so I would only need a multimeter to see if the parts are good. I figure I can omit the multimeter.

As far as finish goes, I was hoping for a wood that I could stain as I've heard applying veneer or laminate is difficult. Although, if I must go with MDF, I will.

The guys at head-fi.com pointed me to either a cheep pencil weller iron or a used soldering station from Ebay. Neither will cost more than 40 dollars.

Adire includes internal speaker wire so I will just get the 12 gauge stuff from HD

thanks!

7. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

If this will be your only soldering project, then just spend $7.50 and get one from Radio Shack.

8. minhG

minhG Stunt Coordinator

most people use MDF because it is straight and cheap. I'm exaggerating a little, it's also acoustically dead and strong. but if the extra cost of real wood does not bother you then go for it. many people use baltic birch plywood, which is also recommended by adire over MDF.

9. Jonathan T

Jonathan T Second Unit

I had one of those things, it caught fire on it's own. I donno if I'm willing to buy one again. Not to mention the tip selection is non-existant and the tip that comes with the RC irons are fairly fat.

10. Jonathan T

Jonathan T Second Unit

I'll try that, thank you!