Took the plunge!

Discussion in 'Displays' started by CheyneF, Apr 15, 2005.

1. CheyneF

CheyneF Auditioning

I ordered the Optoma h31 a few days ago, it should be in on Teusday. Got it brand new withfreee shipping and a 100' elite screen for 1089.00. I also purchased a samsung hd Dvd player to go with it. I will be projecting off a coffee table for a week or so then getting a wall mount.

Any tips on setting this baby up, I am so excited, I am going form a 19 inch moniter to watch movies on to a 100' inch screen!

2. John S

John S Producer

19" to 100", now that's a screen size increase!!!!!

be neat to get your impressions of that Projo!!!

3. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph

No projector-specific tips, just painting the front wall a dark colour to provide a better perceived conrast in the image.

4. Jon Oliva

Jon Oliva Agent

Oh man - you have me beat! I'm going from a 24" Sony Wega to a 100" screen (via a Toshiba MT700).

Congrats on the purchase...it's exciting isn't it? Did you get a full audio setup or did you already have one?

5. CheyneF

CheyneF Auditioning

I bought a sony 6.1 receiver, and I already ahve a cheap powerd sub. I am going to be using a cheap surround set of speakers for right now, and in the future going for a sattalite/sub setup.

I am VERY excited, it gets here on teusday, I cant wait!

6. Massimo N

Massimo N Stunt Coordinator

No projector specific tips, but some very general:

Get a calibration disk (AVIA or DVE).

1. Set up the projector so you don't have to use any keystroking. Using this will reduce the picture quality.

2. Use good quality cables and the best input the projector will support (HDMI/DVI, RGB, Component, S-Vid, Composite)

3. Contrast for digital images (DLP/LCD) is set differently than CRT. You will not notice any blooming with DLP but will notice white crush. To set the contrast, I use the THX Optimiser contrast screen (the one with the 8 white blocks). Set contrast so that all 8 blocks are identifiable.

4. Prepare the room you're going to use by thinking about window coverings so the projector can be used during the day or early evening.

5. Carefull not to cycle the projector on and off quickly or for short bursts of time. Don't hurt the projector but it does reduce the bulb life.

6. When setting up the projector, try not to use maximum zoom. This will be more important when you permenantly mount the projector.

7. ENJOY!! [​IMG]

7. Tom McDonald

Tom McDonald Stunt Coordinator

Hey CheyneF, If it is OK for me to ask where did you purchase it from, I too am considering this projector and if I could get that kind of deal I think I will go for it.

Tom