Took the plunge and bought the big screen last night...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DanielC, Apr 25, 2002.

1. DanielC

DanielC Extra

This whole year I have been worrying myself to death about all this DVI encryption stuff and depriving myself of some really fantastic current technology. Last night I took the leap of faith and bought a Sony KP57HW40. Price matched from the internet, Rex sold it to me for $2400 +tax. So I say yippie Ky yah M..F.. to the MPAA and those who want to control our viewing. I get it delivered tomarrow.

I'm so excited I just wet myself :b

2. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

I got my KP57HW40 last October, before the whole DVI thing really erupted. This set looks fantastic after just an AVIA calibration. I've added a Tosh HD-capable DirecTV receiver and am in hog heaven.

My understanding is that DVI will only degrade PPV and premium channel HD pictures, if any at all, and then only to 480p. On my Sony Gladiator in 480p from dvd is so close to Gladiator in 1080i from HBOHD that this isn't too much of an issue.

I have just refused to adopt the "sky is falling" mindset and am enjoying the heck out of my HT.

3. KevinA

KevinA Agent

Congrats Man! Im right there with ya brother! I had been fretting over to buy or not to buy for the last couple weeks... then today i said screw it and went out and bought the tosh 42h81 (wife wouldnt let me get anything bigger! :b ) Kick butt picture even with my crappy digital cable (some channels not so good). Even stretch mode rocks... im picky and thought it would bother me, but its all good!

4. Milton

Milton Auditioning

Yes I know the feeling,I broke-down and got the Mitsubishi WS-55819. They delivered it today, so far so good.I only have a interlace dvd(Sony 7700) and it looks good, cant wait to get a progressive and an HD box.

5. DanielC

DanielC Extra

Just ordered my Avia disc from deep discount dvd ($35 shipped). Oh, the waiting begins...Where art thou oh delivery truck. Cant wait for the viewing shock, going from a 25" Sharp to a 57" sony Wiiiide. Oh, Happy day! [​IMG]

6. Niranjan

Niranjan Auditioning

I too was also worried bout the DVI issue but when I thought about it, it will probably take a couple years if it even gets implemented. So i went out and bought a 53uwx10ba hitachi, and I am very happy picture looks good even on coax-cable.