Took delivery of 53HS30 yesterday

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by StephenP, Aug 9, 2001.

1. StephenP

StephenP Stunt Coordinator

Man that thing looks big in my house! Anyway, so far I am generally pleased with the set. The service menu is accessed in the same way as before, but some of the items are either renamed, moved or perhaps taken out. In particular the field that lets you select between 480p and 960i output on drc is not in the same group. The only tweaks I have done so far is use VE to calibrate, and center the input 5 (dvd) image using the overscan pattern. It was about 5 too high and 3 too far right. I used the flash focus, but have not tried the service convergence. I think the set is nice looking, with a silver tone cabinet and a metallic blue speaker cover. The center control panel is now thinner, and there is a small door to the left of the speaker cover which rotates to reveal the front connections.
    Tv viewed with my antenna is good, but dish is visibly worse. I think this set uses a lot of edge enhancement, and any tips on reducing it will be appreciated. Also, I am unable to get the 2 center bars on the SMPT color bars to match properly using the blue filter. Does this mean there is red push? How can I determine how much and then reduce it? I only have VE. Any tests you guys would like me to run, Please ask.
    I am not posting this on the yahoo forum yet, because I dont want to subscribe to an email list, which seems to be necessary for posting.

2. Jeff Gibbons

Jeff Gibbons Agent

Got mine today.
    I think the picture looks better overall than the HS10 but I still have more tweaking to do. I'll let you know how the SMPT color bars match for me when I finish with VE.
    One thing that bothers me is that after selecting 16:9 mode in Video 5 or 6, if you switch to another video input (cable), then back to 5 or 6, 16:9 mode is no longer selected. Kind of annoying. Have you experienced this?

3. StephenP

No, I haven't tried this yet. I figured out what was going on with the color bars also, and it's so dumb I wont mention it [​IMG] Got the picture looking pretty good on OTA NTSC when a good signal is available, by Dish still looks like there is some sort of edge enhancement on. I set UVML to 0 from 1. I also centered the image on the tv and dvd images. It was off by quite a bit. If the overscan on VE is accurate, it is about 4% all the way around. I really need to get a service manual and try to figure some of the codes out. If anyone gets one please post it.

4. Bill Millar

Bill Millar Auditioning

Steven,
    You've had you TV for a couple of days now...how do you like it so far?? Im thinking of buying one and would like any feedback you might have.
    Thanks,
    Bill

5. StephenP

I've had the set nearly two weeks now, and I don't regret buying it. Having a set this large really makes a difference, especially when you go to someone else's house! (Wow, this person's set is really small) The only considerations I would think about are common with all projection sets - viewing angle and room lighting. I can no longer see the set from my kitchen, which is about a 70 degree angle or so, or from my love seat, which is even farther over (nearly 80 degrees or so) The set has a noticeable brightness range vertically also, so standing up watching it is not very nice. As all digital sets will show you, the quality of Dish network is poor on many channels.
    If you think you are ready for a digital projection set however, I really recommend this one. The dvd picture is awsome, it has many settings in the service menu which other brands do not, and is the screen ratio I use the most, 4:3. I don't have an hd receiver, but I've heard the picture from it will be awsome as well. As soon as my local shop gets the service cd for these models, I will try to adjust it a little more and will post the results. If you have any specific questions just post or email them to me!

6. Matt_Stevens

Matt_Stevens Supporting Actor

The Sony 4:3 sets will not auto squeeze while in 480p mode. [​IMG] But it's better than no squeeze at all, like the Panasonc & Hitachi sets.
    ------------------
    www.deceptions.net/superman

7. StephenP

Im ok with that, it only takes 1 second to turn on 16:9 mode. If it did it automatically, how would it treat 4:3 stuff like the upcoming simpsons season sets?

8. Jim Christian

Jim Christian Stunt Coordinator