Took a first look at a Toshiba 40H80 here is my impression

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John David Rage, Jun 23, 2001.

1. John David Rage

I got up in the morning , picked up my mostly watched dvd's and drove down to A and B sound, it's a local electronics place here. Anyways, I first tried out "Pitch Black" was looking for how good the "blacks" looked, mainly and the overall picture ofcourse. Made sure the color temp was set to warm, if that was not default and "movie" mode. First Thing I noticed, blacks were not very deep, they had a greenish tint to them. Contrast seemed good, flesh tones were not very accurate at all, so I told the sales person to take off "flesh tone" , there , now that looked more natural. Sharpness was pretty good but things were not that defined. I then tried The Fifth Element, and finally Charlies Angels. The Fifth Element looked good, again though the sharpness could of been sharper and more defined. I then used Avia to check things out. I got the black level adjusted with "Black bars" it was now "black" the way it should of looked. Adjusted "sharpness" a bit and seemed to clean it up. Whites looked bright and not blooming. Signal was straight interlace and s-video , he couldn't get the component to work, LOL.... Overall it's a pretty good tv, only minor tweaking was needed.

2. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

3. Matt_R

Matt_R Stunt Coordinator

Jay is right. I picked up a 40H80 about 2 months ago. I upgraded from a Sony 32" Wega. Right out of the box, I was very unhappy with the picture. But even a quick Avia session made the picture twice as good. And last month I had it calibrated by Kevin Miller -- now the blacks are black, the picture is sharp and focused, and the colors are simply amazing! This set really needs to be tweaked. And once tweaked, you can't find a better set for the money, IMO.