1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

Too slow on Billy Joel/Elton John tickets

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ace peterson, Feb 2, 2003.

1. ace peterson

ace peterson Second Unit

I wonder what you have to do to get tickets to this show. They went on sale yesterday and are sold out already in Ames, IA! That to me is crazy.

2. Greg_Y

Greg_Y Screenwriter

3. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Here in Albany at the Knickerbocker Arena, Joel/John floor seats are going for $180! [​IMG]

4. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

I hope he is in better shape physically and mentally then he was this past summer. My parents caught his show in Philly and were disappointed with his overall effort. Having gone to many of his shows over the years they said he seemed like he lost it and was washed up. Later he checked into rehab, so maybe he got his problems in order.

5. L. Anton Dencklau

L. Anton Dencklau Second Unit

Billy Joel sold out Hilton last time he came through (late 2000) though those tickets were $50.00 all seats. He's about as close to a sure thing as you can get for a concert promoter here. Recent acts that played Hilton Coliseum and did not sell out (ticket prices highly variable)

Sting
    Tool
    Weezer
    Incubus
    and (I Think) Bob Dylan

In fact, the last show I remember selling out Hilton was a WWF wrestling show a couple of years ago. (although my memory is highly faulty. I think somewhere in there the Dixie Chicks either sold out Hilton or came close.)

This of course, is not including sports events.

I really like Hilton. It easily beats Vets Memorial in Des Moines for sound (that place is a dive and needs to be destroyed), & sounds better than Carver Hawkeye, and the Target Center IMHO. The only drawback is the fact that concerts are rare, rare, rare. My personal opinion is that promoters have gotten so rich from the crazy ticket prices they can charge in large market shows (chicago, KC) they look at the profit margin for an Iowa show and decide its not worth it.

Frankly I would love to not have to drive to Minneapolis to see a concert, but that's the drawback of living here...

I could turn this into a "19 additional reasons why it sucks living in Iowa" post. But I won't. [​IMG]

6. Nick L

Nick L Second Unit

Don't forget the Dave Matthews Band sold out Hilton in just a few minutes. Maybe the new "Iowa Events Center" will have decent acoustics, and maybe attract more acts?

Nick

7. L. Anton Dencklau

L. Anton Dencklau Second Unit

oh yeah. Dave Matthews. I never understood his appeal, but I guess 10000 sorority girls can't be all wrong. [​IMG]
    I forgot about Hootie selling out there back when they were hot too.

Seriously though, can you feel my pain? If the only acts we can get to come through occasionally are dave matthews and Billy Joel....

I will believe an Iowa Event center will exist when pigs... well, lets just say I have my doubts it will ever be ready. They've been talking about "revitalization" for nigh on 20 years now. I'll believe it when I can walk in the building.

Pessimistic mood today!

8. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

I'm happy that I saw the original tour in '94. That was a trip.

So far, no date in the DC/Baltimore area...

Jason

9. ace peterson

ace peterson Second Unit

It will be interesting when the Iowa Events Center gets done. This will be very new ground for Iowans...

10. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

glad i got to see them last round. not sure if i'd do it again, but they definitely put on a good show.

it's really cool to see true legends perform.