What's new

Too much TV On DVD So I'm hitting the road ! (1 Viewer)

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Wel not me personally but my TV on DVD sure is gonna start travelling with me. I pretty much faced up to the fact that never in my Lifetime will I be able to watch all my TV On DVD so I'm gonna start taking them with me shrunk down as Divx's on My PPC. It's nice to be able to pull out Lost in Space or MASH at lunchtime and view an ep. Thank god for Divx.

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
Dave, you're clearly a pirate looking to flood the internet with your illegal product. :)

What Dave is doing is a perfectly reasonable "for personal use" application as far as I'm concerned. But I believe that copying a DVD to Divx on your hard drive technically violates the draconian Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA), and thus probably won't be allowed to be discussed in detail here.

Bill>Moore

Second Unit
If I didn't travel for work (work for an airline) so much, I'd never be able to watch my TV on DVDs fast enough. It's great to be able to watch through them on flights to work and back and in the hotels, during long sits in the airport, etc. If I couldn't watch them on the road, there's no telling how long it would take me to get through them.

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member

I hear ya! Since I bought my portable player, spending 3 hours in an airport isn't so bad. Now I just need some nice headphones and I'll be laughing. Portable players make travelling a lot nicer!

Gord

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I won't discuss it here because of Forum rules, Plus you can google and find the appropriate utilities and instructions. I always use my own disks I don't DL TV off the Net even thou I could. I have more than enuff with my disks. Portable players are becoming the rage and now with sony releasing it's PSP, there'll be even more people doing it, but it all starts with needing to rip the disk so from the get go it gets hedgy. There needs to be some sort of compromise, Now I guess you could say well carry a portable DVD, I own one but it's still too big to carry in my pocket like my PPC. And there's alot of other Portable media Products that promote watching television, how do they get around the need to rip the disk? Do they include Software to do it?

Gord what portable are you using?

DeanC

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, I know about those new portable units that say you can download tvshows right to them and watch them without even any discs or anything.
The Playstation portable right now is pretty awesome. Yes that too.

OOps sorry, but I don't think those will be owned by tons of people. It won't take away sales of portable dvd players and laptops yet.

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
Of course, the studios would eventually like you to re-purchase the same shows you've already bought on DVD in an appropriate DRM version for your portable device. But that's crazy. They need to come up with a system that allows you to securely and legally copy your DVDs onto a portable device for the road.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks