What's new

Too Much Subwoofer? (1 Viewer)

Jeffrey_S

Stunt Coordinator
Hi all,

A couple of days ago, I posted that I was going to build a dual Tempest sonosub. I am still intent upon doing this but a question has occurred to me. Is it possible to have too much subwoofer. I currently have a diy built 12" ACI Titan and like it for music, but it seems to lack punch for hometheater. Would a single Tempest do me or am I wise to look at a dual Tempest subwoofer. My listening room is L shaped. The long part of the L, which is the main listening area is 25'x10'. The short part of the L is 15'x10'. The ceiling height is 8'.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Only way to make sure you will never want more is to make sure you have more than you want the first time :p)

Dan Wesnor

Second Unit
Just looking at your situation, I'd think a single Tempst would be more than enough. You will need to check the total swept volume of the ACI vs. the Tempest (the swept volume of one Tempst is 1278 cm3 (center-to-peak, not peak-to-peak), the Titan, if my specs are right, is 749 cm3. So 2 Tempests gives you 3.4 times as much air moving potential. If the Titan is "almost enough", I'd say 1 Tempest would be more than enough. Two Tempests, however, would give you more effortless "slam", even at the same volume.

You can always build one, and then add a second if it's not enough.

Jeffrey_S

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for all the input. I think I'm going to stick with the dual sub. I'll let you guys know how things progress when I start the building process.

Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks