Too Much Sub for Room Size?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by RobertBritton, Aug 11, 2004.

1. RobertBritton

Is this statement true? Can you have too much sub for a given room size. I have a Mirage BPS-400 in a 12L*11W*8H.

For a sealed sub it can sound boomy at times.

Thanks.

2. Eric Hargrove

Eric Hargrove Stunt Coordinator

Hi Robert,

I don't really believe it has to do with too much sub for your room. That sub should do very well. If it appears to be overpowering, you may have the gain set too high. Have you calibrated it? The boominess could possibly be solved by experimenting with placement.

3. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

No such thing. As Eric said, your sub can be overpowering if it is not calibrated to the same levels as your other speakers, but it cannot be too powerful for the room as long as it is calibrated correctly. Too much for your wallet is another story.

4. RobertBritton

The way I have it set up is from the "Sub Out" of the receiver into the "LFX" input of the sub which by-passes both the volume and the cross-over of the sub.

I moved it out from the front right corner where the L/C/R speakers/tv are located, to about half-way along the right side wall. More breathing room....seems better.

another Question I have is :

I have a Yamaha RX-V795a receiver 85w per channel when watching dvd's I very rarely turn it past 9/10 o'clock on the volume. Is it safe to turn higher without blowing up anything....mostly the sub. Because I am using the "LFX" input on the sub does this mean that the sub is running full out? And would it be better to use the Y splitter in that I could use the volume control on the sub.

Thanks again.

PS. I do have the speakers calibrated via V.E.

5. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

That is a great sub. You might have problems with room nodes if it sounds boxy, although 1/2 way down a wall should be an OK spot.

You'd still control the sub's level with the setting in the receiver. I can't remember, does the 795 has test tones for the sub to double check against VE? (I used to have a 793. Gotta love Yamaha's DSP! [​IMG] ) I'm not a big fan of VE for sub cal though, I like Avia better.

6. Will d s

Will d s Stunt Coordinator

If the 12 o'clock position is full volume then I wouldn't turn it up any more. If you push an amp near its limits it creates distortion which will damage your speakers.

7. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

Experiment with placement. I found that where I placed my sub made a huge difference.

8. mackie

mackie Supporting Actor

I used to have that receiver too and it made the Boston sub I had sound boomy. When I upgraded to the Denon 3803, the sub was much better behaved. I don't know for sure and I'm probably wrong on this, but I don't think the low frequency signal is output at too low a voltage? The only thing I changed in the setup was the receiver - cables, placement, setup method were identical. Anyway - it's an excellent receiver and is bullet proof. I used the crap out of mine for 5 years with absolutely no problems.

9. Chris_Liberti

Chris_Liberti Stunt Coordinator

No such thing as too big for a room, I have a SVS 16-46pci in a small bedroom and it sounds fine, just have to play with position (it was too boomy corner loaded but works great about 3 feet from the corner against the wall)

10. Kenneth Harden

Kenneth Harden Screenwriter

Analogy time!!!

Think of a big subwoofer like a Porsche Carrera, Enzo Ferrari, etc. You DON'T have to put your foot on the floor, there will just be a lot of overhead and potential, but just because you are in a fast car doesn't mean you have to do 120 MPH all the time.

On the flip side, if you are always driving at the speed limit, a 600 HP supercar might be a waste of money.

11. RobertBritton

Thanks everyone.

It sounds much better out from the corner. I also changed the subout on the receiver from -20 to -12. All speakers have always been set to small and yes to Sub. DD LFE is set to -8 (-20/0) and DTS LFE is +2 (-10/+10)

I'll see about setting up using DVE and see if it sounds better where it is. But placement is a problem because size of sub (110 pounds) and how small the room is.

Would it sound better if it had more room to breathe?

Thanks Again.

12. RobertBritton

Which would be better to upgrade first/make the most difference.

From Yamaha RX-V795a to Denon 2805 or Yamaha 1400

OR

Mirage BPS-400 to a Paradigm Servo 15 version 2.

Thanks.

13. Kenneth Harden

Kenneth Harden Screenwriter

Probably a new receiver. Your sub is probably just fine.

14. Nathan Bjork

Nathan Bjork Stunt Coordinator

I have a SVS 20-39 PCi in my 10x10 bedroom, and with it calibrated it sounds great! But if the gain is turned up more than 1/2, its just annoying.

15. RobertBritton

The thing for me is that I am going from the sub out of the receiver to the "LFX" input on the sub. Which bypasses the crossover and volume controls. Are any of you saying that I should really use the left/right inputs?

Thanks.

16. RobertBritton

L/R inputs on the sub which would allow me to use the volume and crossover controls.

17. Sam Robertson

Sam Robertson Stunt Coordinator

why dont you just adjust those on the receiver.

18. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Do you have VE or DVE? There is a problem with the sub signal on DVE. There was a thread here some time ago about it...

19. mackie

mackie Supporting Actor

Which would be better to upgrade first/make the most difference.

From Yamaha RX-V795a to Denon 2805 or Yamaha 1400

OR

Mirage BPS-400 to a Paradigm Servo 15 version 2.

Thanks.

- the receiver