Too much receiver for Energy Take 5.2's?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Reid_J, Jul 30, 2002.

1. Reid_J

Reid_J Extra

My first post...

I have a set of Energy Take 5.2's with the 8" sub, and am looking to upgrade from an older H/K DD receiver. My search has included mainly Onkyo, H/K, Yamaha and Denon, and I finally thought I had it narrowed down to the Denon 2802. But with all the talk on this site about the 3802 at 6th Ave being only $699 (I called them and they are getting more in at the end of this week) I was thinking that I should just buck up the extra $160 or so and go for the 3802. I don't upgrade my equipment very often, and whatever I go with I'll end up using for at least 5 years, so I want to get the best I can now.

What I'm wondering, though, is if it will be too much receiver for the speakers. The Energy's are great, IMO, and I don't plan on upgrading them anytime soon (except maybe to add a 6th and/or 7th speaker) but I just don't know if the 3802 is too much for them.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I'd say they will be fine. With them set to small, they should have no problem at all. When you want to upgrade, all you have to do is get 2 new mains and a better sub (sub is the weak point from what I hear) and you are will be ready for 7.1 already.

3. Jason_Me

Jason_Me Stunt Coordinator

The Take 5.2 speakers can handle 100w continuous power. They should be fine with the 3802.

4. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

You should be perfectly fine with the 3802 and take 5.2s.

5. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

Speakers usually can handle peak powers 5 times their rated RMS power because most of the high power goes to the woofers and not to the tweeters. Speakers rarely get destroyed due to excessive power from powerful amps but usually due to too little power (that leads to clipping and compression) from weaker amps.
    So the moral of the story is that there is no receiver(amp) that is too much for any decent speaker (not computer speakers[​IMG]) but only a receiver that is too little for a particular speaker. So even if you were driving the 5.2's with a Denon 5803 (170W x 7) you would be perfectly fine.

6. Reid_J

Reid_J Extra

Thanks for the quick replies. I was hoping that was the case since the 3802 seems to be such an step up from the 2802. Now I just need to sneak the extra money by the wife.

7. RichardMA

RichardMA Second Unit

I had a friend with a similar receiver. He had Radio Shack
    mini speakers which he fried really fast. He then bought
    Energy Take 5's and hasn't had a problem.

8. MikePeroni

MikePeroni Stunt Coordinator

Im running an Integra 5.3 (80 watts) with my take 5.2s and it rocks. Jazz and rock sound great, and I really cant imagine needing more power. Movies are excellent on this little system. The 3802 will be great.