Too much power????

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by David Cotton, Sep 3, 2004.

1. David Cotton

David Cotton Auditioning

Can someone please help the uneducated (me that is) with regards to room size and subwoofer power.. I am building a HT (about 11.5'X16') and will be purchasing a bunch of new goodies for the room.... During the course of reading posts and looking at the adds on this site I have done some reading about the SVS line of subs. They seem like a great deal and several members seem to sing their praise. Anyway, back to the question.. As stated my room is about 11.5'X16' and I am wondering if a sub with dual 10 or 12 inch subs and anywhere from 600W~1000W is just too much for the room. Obviously I can turn the volume down but if I stay with my current Yamaha sub (only like 100~150W) will I really notice the difference?

(Sorry bad analogy coming up) I am not sure if this is like buying a car battery that has 10000000000000 crank amps but the car only requires 50. Doesn't hurt to have the power available even if you only use a little or am I waisting money by buying the SVS which has way more guts than I will more than likely ever use?

I know the response, clarity etc etc of the SVS sub would blow my other sub out of the water, but I want to know if I would be better suited taking some of the funds that I would allocate to the sub and put it toward a nicer projector?

Thanks,

David

2. Allen_N

Allen_N Stunt Coordinator

You might want to email svs with your room specs and what you like to listen to and at what level you listen to it at. For a room of that size I would go with the pb1-isd or an equivalent tube (pci I think?) but you should email them and ask to be sure.

You will get lower frequency bass from the svs than your yamaha. You will also have more headroom.

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Ask around to see if you can demo an SVS in your area. You WILL notice a difference. You can just wait a few weeks to order the new PB-10, that would probably be plenty for your room size.

4. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Assuming you have a low-to-moderate ceiling (you forgot the height spec in your dimensions) a good quality 10” should be sufficient, maybe a 12” if you really like to crank it hard. I hesitate to say your Yamaha will be sufficient because – well, it’s a Yamaha. But if you’re happy with it now, and the room you’re using it in now is larger than the up-coming HT room, it will work even better in the HT room.

That said, I agree with Allen that a PB1-ISD would be more than adequate if you wanted to upgrade. You didn’t mention which Yamaha you’re using, but I’d expect the PB to get much better extension and output. By the time you put all this together the new PB10-ISD should be out. It will be more than enough for this room, and it’s close to $200 less.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt