What's new

Too many World War II films (1 Viewer)

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
Anyone else notice the overkill of World War II in the last few years?
Here are some off the top of my head (some haven't been released yet):

Saving Private Ryan, The Thin Red Line, Life is Beautiful,
Windtalkers, Captain Corelli's Mandolin, Charlotte Gray, Ghost Soldiers (Spielberg/Cruise), Pearl Harbor, Enemy at the Gates, Band of Brothers (Mini-series, but close enough), Hart's War
Not to mention the non-WWII war films that have been recently released or will soon be released:
Three Kings, Black Hawk Down, Behind Enemy Lines, We Were Soldiers
Why does Hollywood feel the need to milk a genre to death?

Paul Jenkins

Supporting Actor
IMHO there can never be too many GOOD war films. I'm the demographic they want I suppose, I usually see every one at the theater at least once...

Aaron Wisner

Agent
hollywood doesn't know the meaning of the word "saturation". look at how many comic book films are being made. they assume since one movie in a specific genre does well, all movies in a specific genrge will do well.

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter
Everybody's trying to copy what has been successful. The glut of teen films and grossout comedies stemmed from the huge successes of She's All That and There's Something About Mary respectively. It was the same, although to a lesser degree, with the ironic horror films in the wake of Scream. That the imitations tend to be paler than the originals is ignored, especially if they make money.

Guy_K

Second Unit
The fantasy genre is as well, with the recent Harry Potter, Fellowship of the Ring, now the count of monte critsco (not really fantasy, more like adventure), and I hear the lion, witch and wardrobe books are being adapted for the big screen.

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
Aaron, you're a bucket of negativity.:D Many of those movies are very good, and some yet to come look pretty good as well. Everything goes through cycles. Right now, war films are the rage. As long as they're good, keep'em coming.

AaronP

Stunt Coordinator
about ten years ago, I was crying that there weren't enough WW2 films and too many Vietnam films.
And for the longest time, I have wished there were more fantasy/ swords and sorcery films.
Now I've gotten a ton of both, and I hope they keep on coming! :emoji_thumbsup:

Josh_Hill

Screenwriter
As long as their good, its okay. But whoa, that We Were Soldiers looks like the biggest pile of horse shit Ive ever seen!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
As long as their good, its okay. But whoa, that We Were Soldiers looks like the biggest pile of horse shit Ive ever seen!
Why??????????? I hope that's not based on a two minute trailer. By the way, "We Were Soldiers" is based on a true story about the first major battle between American troops and North Vietnam Regular soldiers in battle of Ia Drang in 1965. I'm reading the book now.

Crawdaddy

Josh_Hill

Screenwriter
Yes, its based on the two mintue trailer. I think it looks horrible and its just another gung ho 'american are the best' film. Im just not into it.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Do as you please but I've learned a long time ago not to judge a film by a trailer, otherwise I would have deprived myself from seeing some wonderful films.

Crawdaddy

Brian E

Screenwriter
Do as you please but I've learned a long time ago not to judge a film by a trailer, otherwise I would have deprived myself from seeing some wonderful films.
Amen to that.
I wish there were more war films. I'd like to see some more Civil War (I know Gods & Generals is being made, but could stand a few more). Some good films about the Revolutionary War, War of 1812, Spanish American War, French & Indian War, WWI, The Falklands, The 1948 War, The Six Day War, The October War, Korean Confilct, Zulu Wars, and on and on. So you see there are plenty more war movies that can be made. :)

Butch C

Second Unit
Anyway that Hollywood can display to the viewing public how incredibly heroic and self sacraficing the "greatest" generation is is fine by me.

There can NEVER be too many WWII movies. If even one 15yr old changes his opinion about his "old man" next door neighbor after seeing a film the world is a better place.

These men dropped thier lives, thier jobs, thier dreams, thier families, thier entire existance to travel around the world and extinguish the insideous plans of basically Satan incarnate and on another front punish the only nation in modern times to attack american soil.

Our miserable little lives could never even compare to what these men can go to thier grave with. THE SATISFACTION THAT THEY SAVED THE WORLD!!!!!!!!!

My opinion: Make WWII movies until were watching them in the local 10000plex on our Mars colony.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I agree that there can never be too many good war films. I am partially to ANYTHING remotely WWII (contrarely to nam), so I am certainly not complaining! :)
I also agree that We Were Soldiers looks like shit... I will wait for feedback here before going. About trailers, please don't tell me you have never snubbed a movie based on the trailer alone...
--
Holadem

Mike_Ped

Second Unit
War and conflict bring out the best and worst in people. WWII was one of the biggest wars, so there's a lot to look at!

Mike

Ashley Seymour

Supporting Actor
1-26-1962

Anyone else notice the overkill of Western Films in the last few years?

Why does Hollywood feel the need to milk a genre to death?

The demise of the Western film soon followed. I am glad the WWII genre is still thriving. Enhanced CGI it should maintain a strong source of stories for film until some other such dramatic national event supplants it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks