Too Many Options!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Nitt0, Jun 11, 2002.

1. Nitt0

Nitt0 Auditioning

Hey all!
    I know that you probally get this question alot, but I need some help deciding what speakers to get for my HT setup.
    Here is a list of the equipment that I have right now.
    Reciever: Yamaha RX-V1
    DVD: Yamaha DVD-C996
    CD: Sony CDP-CX255
    VHS: Sony SLV-N80
    TV: Sony 32inch WEGA
    I am currently in a apartment, but I do not want to have to buy speakers again once I move into a house. I have been looking at three brands of speakers. Definitive Technology, Axiom, and Diva. The only speakers that I have heard so far are the Def-techs. This is because the others are only sold online!
    Here are the configurations that I have been looking at. I am trying to keep the cost under 4k.
    www.av123.com
    DIVA speakers
    Front: 5.1$899
    Center:C3$499
    Rear:R3$599
    Sub:VTF-2$499
    www.axiomaudio.com
    Epic 80 system$2413
    www.definitivetechnology.com
    Front: BP2004TL$1600
    Center:C/L/R3000$999
    Rear:BPX$900
    TOTAL:$3499
    Thanks for any advise upfront!
    Nitt0

2. Brandon Blair

Brandon Blair Stunt Coordinator

Hey in that price range i would strongly suggest taking a look at JMLabs Cobalt line of speakers. They have a deal running right now where if you purchase the entire set, 826 floor standers, SR 800 bookselfs, the CC800 center, and the SW 800 sub, you pay $3485. This set retails for $4785 and they are VERY good speakers for both HT and 2 Channel audio. This deal runs through the end of July and you can check them out in Atlanta at Audio Forest which is on Peachtree Industrial just west of where I-285 and I-85 cross north of town. (I'm not from Atlanta so thats the best i can do on directions, but i'm sure you can look them up and call to get better ones.) It would be well worth your while to at least check out the JMLabs before you buy anything. If you talk the owner there Ellis Baxter, tell him Mike Blair sent you over there (Mike is my dad and owns the Audio Forest shop in Birmingham). They really know their stuff and work with you really well over there.

Good Luck
    Brandon

3. Sean D

Sean D Stunt Coordinator

Nitt0,
    I'm sure if you email AV123 they will definitely give you a package price on the setup you are considering that will be hard to refuse. Make sureyou do this before you make your final decision. The Divas are real sweet, especially for the amount of money you pay.

4. JoelM

JoelM Stunt Coordinator

I agree with the post above. Buy some diva's and you will be very happy with this decision: How can you resist [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Russell _T

Russell _T Supporting Actor

Joel,
    Those Divas are so awesome, they're almost sacry.

6. Nitt0

Nitt0 Auditioning

Thank you for all of your responses. I am really looking at the Divas. The only thing that bothers me a little bit is that they do not have their own matching sub. I was looking at the SVR subs, anyone running this combination?

Nitt0

7. Jeffrey Forner

Jeffrey Forner Screenwriter

8. JoelM

JoelM Stunt Coordinator

I bought 2 SVS25-31CS+'s /w Sampson amp combo. I am so glad I did because it really matched the Diva's perfectly. I have one in each front corner and the room is filled with wall shaking bass(20x30). If you do go the SVS route you will be very happy and the price is the best "bang for your buck" around.

9. Winston_T

Winston_T Agent

You're prices for the Diva's are accurate, but look at the package pricing on the specials page (http://av123.com/specials.shtml). You can get the Diva 6.1's and R3's with a free C3 for about the same price. But if you are set on the Diva 5.1's, av123.com will probally give you a package pricing. If you buy the sub with the diva package, they might give a package discount on that too. So you might be able to get the VTF-3 instead. As someone stated eariler you can go with basically any sub.
    If you want to listen to the Diva's before you purchase see if someone in your area is auditioning (www.audioenvy.com). The unofficial Diva faq is at www.audioenvy.com/diva
    Note that because you are trying to keep the pricing below $4000, you do have a lot of options in other brands that you haven't listed. I'm not sure which ones you have looked at and why you have these three on your list. Having said all that, the Diva's are great and I believe they will hold their own against most products in that price range.... and the people who have auditioned them at my house would agree also. But then everyone has their own tastes. good luck.