EQ (with expansion #4 coming out)

DAOC

Coming soon:

EQ PS2

EQ2

Shadowbane (definition of vapor)

Star Wars Galaxies

Planet Side

Hell thats 5 just from Sony! ...and a half dozen more minor ones, like the one from Codemasters....

Can the market even remotely support this many games at once?

Sam

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
I doubt it. Also look at the lone MMOFPS/SIM, World War II Online, I play it, I love it....and I have a real hard time paying for it every month. I can't imagine playing more than one pay for play game.

BTW - You forgot two others:

Asheron's Call and AC2

Phantasy Star Online ver2

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Can the market even remotely support this many games at once?
You also didn't mention AO, City of Heroes, Jumpgate and Eve Second Genesis.

There are those games that will sell and have a large following. Star Wars Galaxies will sell no matter what and will have a large population. EQ 2 when released will no doubt net its current audience. AO will still be around though it will be a very very small niche (quite possibly even sold off to another developer ala Meridian 59). Dark Age has a good solid future (Especially with the engine update coming). Can't forget Final Fantasy XI which will be released on the PC (I dont think FF stands a chance in the PC market though I have no doubt it will be a big hit in the realm of the consoles). Shadowbane is coming along nicely (I think we are past the vaporware stage here. They are in closed beta and new information is released daily).

So to answer your question. No. The market IMO cannot support this many MMORPG's. You'll see the big names take the forefront with a smaller niche for some of these titles. Unfortunately the rest are left to wither and die.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
This is also assuming that the games turn out to be good. Some of'em will undoubtedly suck & die. :)
-Dave

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
Am I the only one who finds this post totally incomprehensible? What do all those letters mean?

Eric Nees

Agent
You guys are forgetting the game that has quite a good chance at becoming the largest MMORPG of them all: The Sims Online. It's the best selling PC game of all time now, I think it'll appeal to a much larger audience then all the other games that have been mentioned.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Carl some translation for you:

UO=Ultima Online

AO=Anarchy Online

EQ=Everquest

DAOC=Dark Age of Camelot

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
Thanks, though I'm still not sure what a "MMORPG" is.

Some sort of online role-playing game?

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Carl,
MMORPG= Massively Multiplayer Online RPG (As Larry noted above above, eyes going blind!)
Larry,
I myself am a fan of the sunshine:D. You dont necessarily need to play a MMORPG 16-17 hours a day to get enjoyment out of it. I currently play 2 of these games and I spend at most 5-6 hours a week tops.
For those that do play 16-17 hours week more power to you. I can't devote that kind of time to a game! (I get far to antsy)

Larry Seno Jr.

Supporting Actor
Romier-

I have played Asherons call, and because I couldn't devote 5-6 hours a day to it, it wasn't fun, I was hopelessly behind others, and that isnt the kind of game I appreciate. I'd like to play a game that requires skill to advance in, not time.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
I have played Asherons call, and because I couldn't devote 5-6 hours a day to it, it wasn't fun, I was hopelessly behind others, and that isnt the kind of game I appreciate
Well thats part of the problem with a good number of those older MMORPG's. Believe me I played Everquest for a month and chucked it out the window cause I couldn't stand it. (The camping and time that you needed to put into it was horrid!). Older MMORPG's were designed that way for some reason. Newer games are quite different. Dark Age for instance doesn't get horridly time consuming until the 30+ levels. Anarchy online is actually VERY easy to level and develop your skills through the mission based system they have their (Though it can be horridly repetitive).
I totally understand your views on MMORPG's. I used to share them:). Newer games though have become quite accessible to those without 5-6 hours day to devote. Hell I can only devote 5-6 hours a WEEK! You may want give one of the newer games a try, you might find they are allot more enjoyable than AC or EQ. Just a recommendation.

Larry Seno Jr.

Supporting Actor
I will most likely buy and try the new Star Wars game, especially if you can develop into a Jedi Knight with a light saber.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Larry:

If you have any intention of seeing sunlight within 6-12 months of buying Star Wars Galaxies, dont get your heart set on that lightsaber =) Just buy Jedi Knight 2 and get it on day 1...

As far as games sucking and dying, AO sucked HUGELY and its still around. Have no idea how they have the monetary base to still be running that game, let alone the vast improvements they have apparently done to it. They F'ed with my credit card big time, so I'll be damned if I even try the 7 day free trial to see how much 'better' it is now....

Sam

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
To be picky, Planetside isn't really an RPG... it's an action game and will likely attract a different customer base than the others mentioned.

And no, the market will not support all these games. The PC market doesn't support all the non online only games currently, there is no way it will support all these pay to play, then pay to play some more games. And to be honest, I think a lot of the companies making these games probably realise that.

But then again, who thought Dark Age of Camelot would do as well as it has??

The opportunity is there if the game is of quality from the get go, and offers something different from the others. And the advantage is that they don't have to make all their money off of sales, they can make some from the sales and some from subscriptions.

Anyway, we'll see what happens. I'm sure a few of them won't last too long.

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
I wish more people would play WWIIOnline, its a really great game, especially with some voice chat and get into a squadron and go bust up some front lines....just played it for 3 hours straight and would play more, but everyone else got off.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
I'm hoping SW Galaxies runs on the Jedi Knight 2 engine. I would really hate the turn based combat if I have a lightsaber.

Aaron Copeland

Second Unit
Real Name
Aaron
I've never actually played an MMORPG...my closest experience to it being Diablo II (digital crack). I played that game far too much every day for months before I was finally able to break the addiction. Then the LOD expansion came out and it started all over. Anyway, I'm interested in playing an MMORPG as long as the price is reasonable. But I may not actually do it until World of Warcraft sees the light of day. Which could be a long time in coming knowing Blizzard.

Aaron

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
I'm hoping SW Galaxies runs on the Jedi Knight 2 engine. I would really hate the turn based combat if I have a lightsaber.
Jeff,
SWG runs a far more advanced engine than Jedi Knight 2. Graphically speaking its a marvel.
Heres some screens:
Link Removed
Link Removed
Link Removed
Link Removed
As far as combat Verant has not revealed much in the way of how the game plays but considering their past combat will more than likely be real time ala Everquest or Dark Age with their own spin on things.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks