Too many lights on components

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by John Lloyd, Jan 19, 2004.

1. John Lloyd

John Lloyd Stunt Coordinator

Why do manufacturers insist on covering the front of DVD players and CD players with all manner of displays, LEDs and blinking lights? My home theater is a completely darkened room but I am forced to leave my component rack at the front of the room. If there are too many lights from my components, it is distracting.

A new low has been reached with the Sony NC555ES CD player. It allows me to turn off the front display (except for the SACD logo and a few tiny lights). Unfortunately there is a rather large blue light bar below the display that proudly illumiates to indicate that the DVD player is configured to output a progressive signal. This light is so bright that all by itself it makes the room bright enough that I can no see the screen when the projector is not turned on. Ironically this "bar" remains on even when I completely disable the video circuitry via another button on the front of the player. [​IMG]

On my last DVD player (Panasonic RP-91) I was forced to cover the front diskplay with several layers of paper and tape. I really don't want to do this all over again. I guess at this point I will either have to take the 555 back and find a replacement or suffer in silence.

John

2. JoeRiley

JoeRiley Stunt Coordinator

Yeah, it is very annoying.

Why do TV's have little 'power' lights? Can we not tell when the friggin' tv is on without a light telling us so?

All electronics should have a function where any and all lights are turned off, so you don't have any distractions.

My DVD player has that function (Mits 8040)... but unfortunately, nothing else I own does.

3. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

I too really hate lights on gear. I've taken to useing small peices of tape to cover up lights or opening up the case and pulling the ribbon cables from displays to keep them dark[​IMG]

4. Sergio Z.

Sergio Z. Stunt Coordinator

I hear ya guys, just got a Panasonic 5-Disc changer, with the brightest green lights in the world...and not just one on the disc number which happens to be playing, but all 5 all the time...might have to resort to black tape as well [​IMG]

5. Jonathan Dagmar

Jonathan Dagmar Supporting Actor

I must be one of the only people that am not particularly bothered by the LEDs.

On the other hand, most of the time they serve no useful purpose...

6. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    That's one nice thing about black components that you can't do with silver. You can cover stuff like that with black electrical tape, or dim down displays with window tint and no one will be the wiser. My personal pet-peeve is the "billboards" on all the equipment front panels - you know, "VCR+," "THX," "Colorstream," etc. I've covered most of that kind of junk with carefully cut pieces of black electrical tape, and even in normal room lighting it's practically invisible.

7. David Preston

David Preston Supporting Actor

I was going to suggest that if your equipment is in a entertainment center or cabinet with glass is put window tint on the glass. Most remotes should still be able to go through the tint. What make me a little upset now is now that I have a Marantz receiver and a Denon DVD player that nicely match I got TIVO and the guys shows up with a silver TIVO and tells me thats the only color available so I am thinking of tinting mine for that reason. Other than that maybe you could carefully disasemble the DVD player and get that blue light out of there.

8. Ken Smith

Ken Smith Stunt Coordinator

I have a Salamander Synergy rack with a door. I went to a fabric store and got a yard of vinyl ($7.00). I cut the vinyl to fit the door frame, put Velcro on the corners and I attach it whenever I watch a dvd. Works good, no more led problems.The only problem is that the remote won't work on the components. I have a Denon 3800 and the lights can be turned off so I put it on top of the rack so I could still use the remote with it.

9. Neil White

Neil White Supporting Actor

Some of those lights are bright, I agree. I have one peeve though related to lack of lights or info on the faceplate. I have a Sony 5-disc player that indicated on the front panel with lights what disc tray was out for loading and I can hit that light to start that disc. Very handy when it's dim or dark in the room. I also have a Denon DVM-2815 that has no such indicators so I have to go by the black markings on the tray itself which I cannot see in the dark. I have to turn the lights up to be able to cue-up the right disc in the player. The Denon has very little information on it's display actually.

N

10. dan-0

dan-0 Stunt Coordinator

I'll be the voice of discent here. I think all the lights look cool [​IMG]

11. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I have no complaints. When I turn off the display on my receiver, I only have the one small power light and the playback mode (very small). On my 222ES, there is no power light, so when the display is off, you can't tell it's on unless there is an SACD playing (lighted indicator). For my Denon 2200 and PS2, they sit behind frosted glass doors in my Salamander Synergy, making the lights and display scattered and muted.

I use a little soft backlighting behind my system, so the lights on the gear tends not to be so distracting.

12. Ed Welker

Ed Welker Auditioning

I second dan-O's emotion. I really like the cool electric blue lights on some components.

Ed

13. Pete Little

Pete Little Auditioning

I love all my components, and I enjoy seeing them "in action". I don't find it distracting in my HT, yet I'm annoyed by the lit EXIT signs in conventional full-size cinemas. Weird.

14. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John

Required by law, and for a good reason. A lot less annoying when you've been in a theater during a power outage...or a fire, both of which I've had the displeasure of experiencing.

15. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I hate the green EXIT signs, but the red EXIT signs don't bother me as much at the theaters.

16. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

I've got black tape over the big blue light on my Sony receiver that lights up when it's decoding multi-channel. It's cool-looking, but just too distracting when watching a movie, it's brighter than the actual screen! I've also covered up the LFE indicator that shows the actual level of the LFE channel, since I found myself watching it whenever scenes with a lot of bass were playing, and the orange Dolby Digital logo is also covered since it also has a plain "AC-3" indicator- when playing DTS there's nothing next to the channel configuration indicator, but there is when playing Dolby so that was swaying me to DTS just because of that!

17. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

Looks like NORAD in my basement [​IMG] Actually, my rack is about 7' to the right of my Mit's 65-413... It's not in the immediate field of vision. I'm ok with it. [​IMG]

18. Mike Capulli

Mike Capulli Stunt Coordinator

Yea my Hitachi 65s500 has a really bright blue LED just below the screen. Its not bad when you are watching TV with all of the lights on... But for a dark theater experience, its a horrible distraction.