What's new

"Too many dvds and not enough time" (1 Viewer)

Runar_R

Second Unit
Came across this article and thought it was pretty amusing. Anyone find the problem of "How am I ever going to find the time to get through all this stuff?!?!" familiar?

Me, I'm off to go through the laserdisc-library on the Alien Quad-thingy........

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
I bought my first player in 1998.

I still have DVDs I bought at the same time which have yet to be played.

Michael Qualen

Stunt Coordinator
Luckily I dont have that problem...I have time...and If I didn´t....I´d MAKE time

DVD´s are my only vice, so I´ll be damned if I didn´t have time to watch them

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
Oh yeah, I have DVDs that I bought before I had a DVD player that I haven't watched (Se7en, Fight Club...tons of others) but his article isn't talking about how he owns more stuff than he could ever watch, or the fact that consumers like to collect stuff that they might never watch. His article is bitching about how there's a lot of TV stuff coming out, and as a TV critic he doesn't want to watch it again on DVD, and doesn't understand why anyone else would want to either.

What bothers me is that "My Big Fat Greek Life" is brought up in all these articles. Are journalists too stupid to realize that the only reason it was released is because NOW is the only time they could possibly sell it? Columbia TriStar knows it was a shitty show and wasn't going to sell many copies, which is exactly why they would release it now. If they could sell 20,000 copies now (which might be high) or sell 10,000 copies in a year, it makes sense to get it out there NOW before the handful of fans that watched the show realize they don't want to own the thing and Columbia is left with a show they can't do anything with. It's the same thing Fox is doing with "The Simple Life" - get the show out while people still care about it.

Gord

Brad Cook

Stunt Coordinator

I've been reading Tim Goodman's columns in the SF Chronicle for a while now and his deal is that he hates lousy TV shows, of which there are many. Since he has to watch them as part of his job, he gets frustrated. Can't say I blame him.

Matthew_Brown

Stunt Coordinator
Hehe. Some sympathy, but frankly not a lot. It probably changes things when you watch a lot of TV for a living (although my father who works in radio still listens to an awfull lot of that, taped/cd'd and otherwise).

What I really have to ask though is why wouldn't you want "The Night Stalker" on DVD? ;)

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Yeah it's a good article and really true. It's a head scratcher and I've written about this before but yet here is season seven of DS9 under my Christmas tree but tonight I just finished only Season 3. As I peer over to my left I have stacked, Dead Zone, Sanford and Son season 2, Homicide S3, Mash Seasons 4&5, Looney Tunes, Rocky and Bullwinkle, Honeymooners, Nypd Blue S2 (That I just bought Tuesday) Sopranos S4, Married With Children S1,24 S2,Three's Company S1. My Ds9 sets 4-6 are in my HT because out of Shame of not completing them I can bear to no longer Have them in my Sight. And I'm contemplating Gilligan's Island, Green Acres, Voyager, Shield S2, Dead Zone S3 and more. What am I Freakin' Crazy ? I have'nt even scratched the surface on the movies I Own. I really think something has to give here and soon.

Happy Holidays

Brian Thibodeau

Supporting Actor
There's another recent thread that evolves into a discussion strikingly similar to this one:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=174788

I have to admit, I agree wholeheartedly with this guy's article. I've seen my share of TV over the years, and as much as I'd love to see an episode or two from the shows that spellbound me as a child, a teen and an adult, I can't fathom spending the money to own a whole season, let along an entire season outside of the following:

The Simpsons,
Futurama,
Family Guy,
Fawlty Towers,

These are short, overstuffed with gags, and have immense replay value, and will for years to come. And, in the case of Fawlty Towers, as someone mentioned, it's only 12 episodes, and not a bad one in the bunch, every one rightfully a classic. And the writing in that show, as in much of British comedy, is about something more than just "The Situation" that plagues so many American shows. There's commentary in there, if you look for it. US television only does that when they can call it "A Very Special Episode." The British have, if I recall, never larded up a television season with twenty-odd episodes per season, unless you count the news or some such. As a result of growing up watching a lot of British comedy, I can barely stomach any US shows into their second seasons. I thought Friends was good, for a season. I thought Drew Carey was good, for a season. I thought tonnes of shows were good for a season, particularly sitcoms, but then they just got fat and started coasting on "star" personality. Sometimes, I like a second season better than the first, since some shows do improve drastically in their sophomore year, then they get fat.

Getting into the hour-long shows, I can't even begin to wonder why someone would want an ENTIRE series, let alone WHEN they'd find the time to watch them all over again. I can appreciate that sci-fi shows have a built-in audience, and certainly the makers of Star Trek will be recycling their library for years to come. Personally, I never got "into" Star Trek, and the attendent fascination with same therefore baffles me. I did, however, watch X-Files for it's entire run. Reruns of the show, like most others, rarely interest me for more than a few minutes, though, and I could never justify the expense of buying the DVD boxes. Besides, my local Blockbuster has most of the better TV sets for rent, so if I got a hankerin' for a particular episode and didn't want to wait for syndication, I know where I could find it.

There's barely enough time for many posters in this thread (and the one I've linked) to get through the feature films they've amassed over the years. Loading up on TV shows that run into the hundreds of hours SHOULD seem too daunting to even bother, even to the most ardent fan.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks