Too many components (not really)

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Ronald C*, Feb 11, 2004.

1. Ronald C*

Ronald C* Auditioning

I have a small dilemma. I now have 3 components that use component video. HDTV, DVD, and now TIVO. Right now I have 2 12 foot component cables going to my tv and my tivo is connected through s-video. Since the tivo will do a progressive out picture I would also like to run component from it to the tv. The receiver that I own will do C-video switching but my question is, if I run all three units through my receiver will the quality of the picture be degraded on the HDTV or DVD?

I have COX cable and they say the their HDTV boxes will be supporting the DVI out at the end of the month and maybe I will only have 2 components that need C-video connections..

Equipment

Onkyo TX-SR601 receiver
    onkyo DV-SP501 DVD Player
    Toshiba SD-H400
    Sony HDTV can't remember the model.

2. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

Look in the manual for your receiver. Find the bandwidth of the component switching. If I remember correctly, HD goes up to around 33MHz, so if it is higher than that you will not likely see much degradation.

3. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

But.. you want your reciever/switch to have a bandwidth about 100 Mhz to handle the 33 Mhz video signal.

Your reciever may have Component switching capability, but that does not mean it works well for HD Video.

Inexpensive HD Video Switching may be just what you need.

4. Ronald C*

Ronald C* Auditioning

I went out today and purchased the best Monster Cable had to offer for all of my equipment (a whopping $420) and was sadly disappointed. With everything hooked up I noticed a considerable amount of loss in detail in my HDTV and DVD pictures. I did a little more looking and my receiver is 50MHz not 100. This really sucks. Now I have to either wait for the "special" people at cox to enable the DVI out on my cable box so that I can free up a component video in. I am going to look into the hd switch, i guess.

Thanks Everyone!

5. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Ronald: for your component video cables - did they say "HD Rated" on them?

Both standard and HD video use component cables. But HD Video pushes 35 Mhz max frequency while standard video tops out at about 4 Mhz.

This means "Component Cables" do not promise to handle HD video frequencies.

The best value for your money with AV cables are the custom cable sites. They use production-studio grade coax and connectors and are usually a lot cheaper than Monster retail prices. Look for the banner ads at the top of this and the "Tweeks and Connections" fourm for some sites.

(I cannot give you direct links to the sites because I dont want to favor one or the other, but both sites build what I consider some of the best cables available.)

6. John S

John S Producer

I am shocked that it degrades at all, I have switched through pretty many 50mhz AVR's, and never could discern any difference at all. I use $20 GE cables myself.

7. Ronald C*

Ronald C* Auditioning

Ok, i have a new question close to this topic. I found that I was using a bad/old cable when i tested this. I know a guy that has this huge home theater in his house and he told me that he would get me some custom made cables from his "installer" for about 2$ a foot plus connectors. He has some of the best equipment and his "diplays" look great. The HD monitor that he has in his kitchen look as good as my 51" Sony. He said that they are solid conductor coax the have a bandwidth of 400mhz. If he can get this stuff so cheap and it looks great, why the heck is Monster cable still in business? Does this info sound right? Will my HDTV look like VHS?

8. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

One word - Marketing.

9. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

Go with those cables your friend is recommending. There are many custom cable companies on the internet that sell great cables for low prices. As for Monster, they are still in business because every Circuit City and Best Buy carry them and so many people will only buy their stuff from those places. Also, they make a decent product. Are they overpriced? Of course they are, but they are still good quality, so people buy them and they are not disappointed so see no reason to buy anything else.