Too many choices! AACH!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Trace Downing, Jul 2, 2002.

1. Trace Downing

Trace Downing Supporting Actor

Trace Downing
    I'm ready to replace my 40" widescreen Samsung (plh403W), and went out to SoundTrack to check out their X-Mas in July sale.
    I have a 10' viewing distance, and the calculator site says I can go up to something like 75" (sounds ridiculously huge for such a small space to me).[​IMG]
    I went in with the idea of test driving 3...
    Mitsubishi WT46809 tabletop.
    Panasonic PT47WX51
    The new JVC I-Art AV48WP30
    The JVC has DVI/HDCP built in, so if I want to, I could buy into D-Theater. The salesman didn't know if the Panny & Mitsu could be capable. The JVC is also SILVER! ICK!:p)
    I then started looking at the Mitsu WS55819, and approximated my viewing distance to them, it looked very doable. ALso, I saw the Panny PT56WX51 which was a bit more grainy, but had more natural flesh tones than the Mitsu. I tweaked the Mitsu a bit, but didn't get it just right.
    My question is, should I go with the 55 or 56" jobs, or stick with the sub-50" TVs? I have a real aversion to artifacting, and EE. I know they will be more noticeable on the larger ones, but at a 10' viewing distance, would it be acceptable? JVC either doesn't make a 50+ TV with DVI, or the store doesn't carry it.
    I also have a Panny RP-91. My Samsung just can't be bothered with it. My next TV must be able to accept a PS signal.
    Thanks in advance.[​IMG]

2. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Trace,
    With a 10' viewing distance you should easily enjoy dvd and HD on a 55-57" set. I'm 13 feet away from a Sony KP57HW40, and honestly feel like I could go up to a 65" model. NTSC stuff might look a bit better on one of the 50-53 inch models, but I see no reason to stick to the under 50 inch models.

Toshiba and Sony both make nice sets in the 50 and 51 inch sizes respectively, as well as basically similar 57 inch sets. Also very much worth consideration is the 53" Pioneer 533HD-5, though it is about $700 more than the 57 inch Tosh or Sony.

If you're going to be watching much ntsc tv at all on the new set, I'd recommend the Sony, Tosh, or Pioneer over the Mits, they have better line doublers and stretch modes.

I had one of the current Hitachis for 2 weeks and hated it for a number of reasons not the least of which was an inability to get realistic fleshtones, swapped for the Sony and couldn't be happier. Red push can be totally eliminated in the service menu, as can SVM.

3. Jim FC

Jim FC Stunt Coordinator

I agree with what Steve said about the size of TV you could be happy with - from ten feet a 55"ish TV would be just about right, although a 46-51" TV at that distance would be nice too. My rule of thumb is that if it looks too small in the store, it'll be just about right at home... if it looks just about right in the store, then it's too big.
    I also agree with his assesment of the current Hitachis... not my favorite TV. I disagree with Steve about the Mitsus' line doubler... at least in the Platinum Plus Mitsus (55819 and 55859) the line doubler outperforms those in the Sonys, which add too much to the picture IMHO. The Mitsus are also the only RPTVs (other than Pioneer) that allow you to manually adjust the convergence, at multiple points on the screen, through the user menu... a big advantage over Sony's flash-focus system, which automatically goofs up your TV's convergence at the touch of a button. [​IMG]
    If you're going into a Soundtrack, they carry Pioneer Elite rather than the standard line Pioneer, so check them out. Elite will blow away any RPTV you're likely to find, on any type of input, but since they're the best they're priced like the best.

4. Craig

Craig Second Unit

Go with something in the 50"-60" range. I'm 11.5" ft (eyeball to screen) from my Toshiba 56" widescreen using a Panny RP-91 and the picture looks fine. I think a 65" wouldn't be out of place in my situation. I was pretty impressed by the picture on the 53" Pioneer I saw at Best Buy a few months ago(non-elite, can't remember the model number), you might take a look at that one also (just to add to the confusion).

5. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    Hi Trace, I hope all is well with you.

You cant go wrong with either the Mits or the Panny. Both have issues, including red push. But both can have them corrected. Let me know when your ready for a calibration, I will be coming to CO in either August or October.

Regards

Gregg

6. Dwight Amato

Dwight Amato Stunt Coordinator

I have the 47" Panny which I sit 7 feet from. It is perfect for my distance. Anything larger would be too much. Since you are sitting 10' away, you can easily get something bigger. Regardless, the Panny is a great set for the money.

7. BruceSpielbauer

BruceSpielbauer Second Unit

I agree with what most others have said here. Good brands would be: Pioneer (probably the best, but priced as if it is, too); Mitsubishi ; Panasonic ; and, Toshiba (which I do not think has been mentioned).
    My advice: Resist the urge to base your decision too much on the image you see on the showroom floor, since there are so many things going on there that can drastically alter appearances. Unless you think you can compensate for ALL of these:
    1.) What type of signal am I seeing? Satellite? OTA? Cable? DVD? Progessive Scan DVD? Is it the same as my own signal? How many times did the store split their signal? How is it cabled? How many in-line amps do they have? Is this set fed directly to the source, or indirectly, or very indirectly? And, is their satellite aimed better than mine? Worse? Is their antennae better than mine? Worse? Are they using any line-doublers along the path, that even the salepeople have not been told of?
    2.) How much light is in this showroom. Does it even come close to approximating mine? Do I have flourescent tubes? The store probably does. Do I have windows? Did the store?
    3.) How is this set shipped, in terms of settings? Is it deliberately shipped with the contrast turned way, way up, to give a false appearance of being "brighter" than the one sitting next to it?
    4.) How many 14-year-old kids have since jiggled with those settings, to further confuse the matter?
    5.) What is my viewing distance? What is my viewing angle? Is the set on the floor, or raised on a platform? Am I sitting, or standing? Am I watching from the same side-angle as viewers will be?

I could go on, but I think you get the idea. Some of these brands, by the way, deliberately set things so they will look "*brighter* than the others, even while they have no detail. Others (reportedly) add deliberate red push because this, too, gives an artifical appearance of being more pleasing, especially when you are just looking for brief periods of time (as opposed to watching it for two and three hours). They set them to SELL, not to WATCH.

So, instead, do research. Read reviews. Read what others who have bought them have to say. Read test reports.

Good luck,
    -Bruce

8. Trace Downing

Trace Downing Supporting Actor

Trace Downing
    Thanks for the replies, and the still more brands (Sony, Toshiba, Pioneer) to add to my confusion.[​IMG] I know everybody has a favorite, and I knew this would happen. Suffice to say, I'll give Sony and Pioneer a chance, but I have a personal cap of $3000, and will only consider the Pioneer if it's THAT much better than everyone else.
    ST doesn't carry Toshiba, and Best Buy cooled me on their delivery problems the last time I got something from them (No dolly, so they dragged the carton onn the concrete sidewalk), so I'd rather not buy from them, at least this type of item. BB is good for small stuff.
    The Mitsu is a Platinum Plus series Jim, so thanks for the heads up on it.
    It appears you need more info...
    Bruce, you're answers...
    #1 It was a DVD of "The Man in the Iron Mask" playing the P&S side, so that the 4X3 TVs would be filled up. The 16X9s were zoomed in, or stretched. EVERY TV had severe artifacting, but I chalked that up to the source.
    #2 Not much. It's a dedicated octagonal room with a small opening and minimal light inside, probably 60 watt track lighting (I didn't bother to look).
    #3 No way of knowing that, But the Mitsu was set at "High Temp", and the tint was set way over to the green side. I got it a "cool" or 6500 degrees, and still had the green slightly favored.
    #4 They sell car stereos too, so I would say plenty! [​IMG]
    #5 All except the 47" Panny were on platforms near my eye level. I have a stand, that I was thinking of removing a shelf from, making it about 12" off the floor, but I could just set it on the floor if it's too high in my room. I have a Sliding glass door in the HT, with blackout blinds.
    Thanks for the offer Greg. I would insist on paying you though. I'll definitely take you up on it.[​IMG]
    First! I have to sell that Samsung LCD 40". A friend offered $500 for it.[​IMG]
    So, the progressive scan issue with my RP-91 is fine for all of these models?

9. Michael Lomker

Michael Lomker Stunt Coordinator

Trace, I don't understand your reference to DVI and D-Theater. The current JVC recorder has component video outputs as well...it'll work with pretty much any HDTV.

I'd take a close look at the Mits Platinum. The Pioneer Elite is around $5k. They're very nice but quite expensive.

10. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    The RP91 is a fine player and will work well with any choice.

11. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Toshiba and Sony both allow fairly easy access to convergence in their service menus.

I've had 2 sets with auto convergence now, an Hitachi analog and the current Sony--it has worked perfectly on both.