What's new

Too late for 1st batch of X-box? (1 Viewer)

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
no he wants it, the mexicans building the damn things can only work so fast and so many hours a day.

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
John,
Just go to a 24 hour Wal-mart or K-mart, or even a Meijer. Get there at midnight and you should be able to get a console. Plus you don't have to buy one of those godforsaken bundles.
-Dean-
------------------
My HT Equipment
"I've seen you and you are not cool."

John Tillman

Supporting Actor
Thanks guys... Ok, thats a plan Dean. You mean there will be limited stock at the B&M's? I guess Best Buy & Kmart in my area might due.
There was a news blip yesterday about it being delayed a week so now we're looking at Thanksgiving?

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Nov 15 is a Thursday. I got off of work that day so I could wait in line the night before. Remember how bad it was with the PS2? Even though it was very overhyped I'm glad I got it on launch by waiting in line also. Wasn't until the following year you actually saw them on shelves.
No one really knows how bad it will be with the Xbox. If news arises saying that M$ will have 1m at launch then maybe I'll try the Wal-mart scheme.
Anyone else waiting in line? Hey I'm a poor college student with nothing to do...
/Loser

Ugo Scarlata

Stunt Coordinator
the mexicans building the damn things
Can you say maquiladora?
angry.gif

------------------
[ http://ugo.scarlata.it/?pid=about&cid=3

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
Hey if someone is pissed off about my mexican comment, I cannot say I am sorry, because that is so true.....Mexicans are building the damn Xbox, atleast the US and Japan model....i believe Austrians are building the damn European model.
I just looked up some info about Maquiladoras.....damn thats really low:
Maquiladoras are also known as "Maquilas", "twin plants" or "in-bond" companies. The term Maquiladora is applied to companies registered with the National Maquiladora Industry Registry that are entitled to special custom provisions to import raw materials duty free into Mexico for manufacturing assembly, repair or other processing. Maquiladoras can save U.S. corporations an average of $17,000 per worker per year, this savings provides a very attractive option for those corporations to compete in today's demanding market.
[Edited last by Kelley_B on October 26, 2001 at 08:54 AM]

Ugo Scarlata

Stunt Coordinator
quote: Maquiladoras can save U.S. corporations an average of $17,000 per worker per year, this savings provides a very attractive option for those corporations to compete in today's demanding market.[/quote]Very good! But I don't see any mention about the people employed in maquiladoras, and the conditions in which they work and live. You might want to look that up as well...
wink.gif

Anyway, I don't see why anyone would be bothered by your comments. No disparaging remarks were made toward the good people of Mexico, as far as I could tell, so no harm was done.
My brief comment, on the other hand, was meant to point out the tactics used by Microsoft to bring their coveted Xboxes to millions of customers. Judge for yourselves whether or not they live up to your moral standards.
Cheers.
[Edited last by Ugo Scarlata on October 26, 2001 at 10:23 AM]

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Another important question might be: Do the people who work at the XBox Maquiladoras factory in Mexico work under better conditions than they had in that area before the factory opened?

Ugo Scarlata

Stunt Coordinator
Err -- I can tell from the last couple of responses that you guys don't grasp the whole concept of maquiladoras. It's okay, don't take it the wrong way -- it's not exactly something they would teach you in school -- I thought it was common knowledge, but it obviously is not.
And since I would hate for this discussion to turn political, it should probably end here, before we violate the Prime Directive of this forum... Sorry for bringing it up in the first place, and enjoy your Xboxes!
wink.gif

If you're actually interested in the topic, there are plenty of sites where you will find more info, as well as forums where you can discuss these issues. Try a search on Google, for example. I just tried it and the third hit I got was this article.
Cheers.
[Edited last by Ugo Scarlata on October 26, 2001 at 11:27 AM]

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
Ugo,
One last thing....when I said that it was low, I meant that it was wrong. Thats really sad that the Mexican government does that to their own people to get companies to locate shops there.....but I also have to see it as Micheal sees it, those who work at the Xbox plant, maybe its better for them than working out in the fields. I guess you'd just have to be living there as one of them to see it for good or bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks