What's new

Too funny for words: The Meatrix (1 Viewer)

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
I actually do appreciate the message that they're trying to say. You guys made it seem like it's some kind of ridiculous PETA anti-meat statement.

Personally, I'm the kind who tries to support the local businesses anyway. That's why I'll go to the local hardware store if I know they'll have something that I could get for cheaper at Home Depot, and why I go to local orchards and farms for fruits and vegetables when possible.

All that "The Meatrix" is saying is to support the traditional farmer. I don't see what's so offensive or argumentative about that to that point that some think it warrants shutting the thread down. It's certainly not anywhere nearly as caustic as a typical PETA in-your-face-and-often-full-of-sh*t statement.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
It's not the message, it's the delivery. The ends doesn't justify the means if the statement being made is false. If the situation shown in the video is not true (I consider it to be true if the majority of farms are like this), then the statement is false, and the message is, too. If that's the case, then I refuse to listen to what they say.

Not trying to get political, but if there's a problem in society, it should not be blown up or dramatized in order to force people to make the "right" decision.

Mike SJ

Supporting Actor
"Not trying to get political, but if there's a problem in society, it should not be blown up or dramatized in order to force people to make the "right" decision. "

Doesnt the mainstream media try to do that every day?

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Doesnt the mainstream media try to do that every day?
Saying that doing pot will lead you to harder drugs is a false statement (the correct statement would be that if you do harder drugs, you most likely started with pot). Saying that 2 people being injured in a car accident was a "horrible tragedy" is not in the same league. Mainstream media will use bigger words to dramatize things, but usually they don't flat out lie about something in order to push a point or a message.

And just because someone else does it doesn't make it right.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
It is unreasonable to call the people behind "The Meatrix" liars. Unless you have evidence that the people who made "The Meatrix" are lying. Do you?

Have you ever heard of a book called "Fast Food Nation"?. The author brings up many of the same things these "Meatrix" people do. It was quite an eye opener.

It was interesting to read how employees at a major packing conglomerate used to breath sighs of relief when they slaughtered animals for export to the EU. "EU days" were considered to be like "days off" because the slaughtering rate went from something like 6 or 700 animals an hour to about 300/hour, IIRC. The lower slaughtering rate was due to the EU's strict beef standards. Apparently, they don't like feces and intestinal fluids contaminating their beef.

The only things treated worse than meat plant employees were the animals they slaughtered.

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
In before the lock! :D

Some of the things they do are actually quite clever, but I don't really find it funny.

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
It seems to me that europe has for more troubles with their meat than the USA (Madcow - angry moophious?)

I have yet to notice a trend of higher mortality rates in the us - in fact lifespans are on the increase. I also do not see any mass food related diseases.

It is safve then to assume that most of the objection to 'sanitary' conditions are baseless or along the lines of 'did you know that before your potatoes were served up they were buried in maneure and dirt?!"

Mike SJ

Supporting Actor
"the correct statement would be that if you do harder drugs, you MOST LIKELY started with pot"

that is still an allegation without any evidence, or one would say, one's own opinion.

What Im trying to get accros is that the mainstream tries to cover up the facts of animal manufacturing because it is not a pretty site. Therefore they would not show pics of cages with chikens on the front of a box with frozen chiken fingers, they show a pristine setting where the chickens can roam freely like the Meatrix. again one's own opinion

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
"the correct statement would be that if you do harder drugs, you MOST LIKELY started with pot"

that is still an allegation without any evidence, or one would say, one's own opinion
A friend of mine who is a huge marijuana legalization enthusiast was talking with me about how some universities were given government funding to study the spread of drugs on campus and other things. One thing they found was that the people who did harder drugs (students and non-students) most of the time started out by trying marijuana. In this sense, it is a gateway drug. But, mass media has said that if you do marijuana, you will most likely move on to harder drugs, which is not true.

Say a million people try marijuana, then 10 of them do cocaine. 100% of those who do cocaine started with marijuana, but a minute fraction of a percent of those who did marijuana went on to do cocaine.

Mike SJ

Supporting Actor
"They are obviously blowing it at least a little out of proportion to make people side with them."

I just thought it was a good way to get awareness out to people, because The Matrix is so popular right now and the story they tell sort of fits along with it. I'm not saying things arent exactly as they say it is. But I doubt if any of us here at HTF discussing this have seen what really goes on first hand [not just on TV].

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks