What's new

Too bad about Denon and Sony (1 Viewer)

RichardMA

Second Unit
They have bailed out of the surround preamp market.

Receivers only from now on. Double-bad because the

Sony TA-E9000ES "could" have been upgraded to 6-7.1

and Denon's AVR-5803 has a preamp section that would have

been a very logical extension of their slightly

better built AVP-8000 surround preamp.

Now, we basically end up with superb preamps coupled to

"satisfactory" power amps. This is no negative reflection on the Sony or Denon receivers, since they do what they can

given space and weight limitations in receivers.

David Judah

Screenwriter
Where did you hear about Denon bailing out? In March, Jeff Talmadge Product Manager of Denon, mentioned on the AVS Forum that they were working on several and would show them late this year or early next year.

DJ

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Richard, did you actually read somewhere that Sony will not replace the 'E9000ES, or are you speculating as much since the 'E9000ES is an old model and hasn't been replaced yet?

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
Sony will be introducing their new pre amp soon according to what I've seen posted around on the Sony user forums. There's talk that someone saw a prototype so it might not be that far away. And as far as I know the TA-E9000ES is not physically capable of 6.1...it can now do a matrixed 6.1 mode but not 6 discrete channels

RichardMA

Second Unit
from Kevin;

I have heard relatively recently that Sony killed the rumored TA-E10ES...

I've been told the same thing regarding Sony.

I also observe Denon has deleted (some time ago)

the inexpensive 2000 DD processor and the higher priced

AVP-8000 unit. I like their products (I had an 8000)

products very much, but don't want to go back to

receivers, but it's clear Denon's AVR-5803 is the most

"advanced" preamp section going, from what I've seen.

-Rich

David Judah

Screenwriter
Go to AVS and do a search for DenonJeff in the Special Guests section. He was talking about several completely new products in development, not discontinued existing products. So unless Denon changed their mind in the last two months, there should be some pre/pros to look foward to.

DJ

Alex Yang

Stunt Coordinator
Richard,
You are absolutely correct DENON has not had a pre/pro for quite a while, BUT about TWO months ago, Jeff Talmadge of Product Manager of Denon, claims that they are working on a Pre/pro to be release either year-end 2002 or early 2003...
This was separately confirmed again earlier this month by one of our users who contact DENON (Jeff Talmadge???!?) directly and was told on the phone the same thing... :)
So while the DENON AV-R5803 is the Cream of the crop for DENON (presently) things might be different year end...
Sorry don't know anything about SONY...
-Alex

RichardMA

Second Unit
That is good news about the Denon processor.

It's also nice that Denon is upfront about possible

product releases, unlike the annoyingly secretive Sony.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Me, myself, and I: I'd like to see some competition for Outlaw and Rotel from more than one of (!) Sony, Denon, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Marantz, etc.
The Sherwood is coming, but hopefully they fix some of the problems that the receiver had...
For now, I've settled on the Outlaw, but in spite of "upgradeitis" and all the positive comments :), I've *vowed* to myself not to order one until Sept. That way, 1) I'll get hardware/software "rev 2.0" in case there are any updates along the way, and, 2) Gives the Japanese manufacturers time to put something out...
Had a Yamaha Dolby Digital (before DTS!) receiver once that I absolutely loved. Even if they announced *today* that they'd have a pre/pro, but not until next summer, I'd still wait. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks