What's new

Too All Markertec Referral Posters (1 Viewer)

John Dolby

Auditioning
Hi All
I have been following all the posts on the Belden cable referrals. Can't afford to buy 1000' of 1694a cable and the tools to make my own composite cables. Here is a link to another cable that Markertec sells. Tell me what you think. I am going to use these as interconnects from pre-amp to amp (5.1) as well as all RCA connections for all componets.
[http://www.markertek.com/MTStore/pro...tem=SPDIF1%2E5
At 18.99 ea. its alot cheaper than making my own cables.
About $200 in all.
Their speaker wire looks good also.
Any thoughts?
Thanks
John

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
You can also look at places like www.milestek.com for custom made cables. Decent quality audio cables are $14.99/pair for 3 ft. Video grade single RCA cables are $12.00 plus $0.20/foot annd component cables are $29.95 for a 6 foot length. Have Inc., www.haveinc.com will also make up Canare stuff but I think they have a $75 minimum.

John Dolby

Auditioning
Thanks guys

I just started looking for good/great cables for my new home theatre system.

What do think of pure silver cables vs. copper? I know they are extremely expensive but I saw a pair on ebay that were about 2-3 times more than the copper interconnects I found on Markertec. Are the silver cables gonna give me twice the performance vs. the copper? Is there a rule of thumb for component cables like speaker wire?

Example- 12 gauge for 20ft or more.

I need .5M rca cables in my rack. (Would like to find 1 foot cables) With the longest runs 6 ft. to TV and 8-12 ft. for the subwoofer. The silver cables are 26 gauge. Seems awfully thin. The copper cables are ? gauge.

Any advice here is needed.

thanks in advance

john

"Can I get 2 estimates from your competitors, You know... I don't want to pay too much"

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
John: Many places will sell you less than a full spool of cable for something like a $7 "cut charge".

Silver vs Copper: Considerable debait here. My working theory is that you should not buy expensive cables unless your system is SENSITIVE enough to notice the difference.

Example: Radio Shack vs Monster Video 3 component cables will look nearly the same on a 19" TV. But between a Progressive Scan DVD player and a Projector - very visible difference.

The custom sites will give you the production-studio quality Belden/Canare cables for a bit less than the Monster Series 2 prices, so this makes them an outstanding value.

Cables: Almost all video interconnects are made with RG6 coax which has a 18 ga center conductor.

I believe you should consider buying real good Video cables (as your eyes are more sensitive than your ears), your Coaxial Digital cable can be a generic Video cable (Digital is much less sensitive than analog to the cable), and the subwoofer cable can be any long run of even CATV coax with RCA plugs on the ends.

So put the money where it counts is my advice.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Duhhh make a statement and it proves me wrong...

I just looked at the Markertek catalog and found lots of 75 ohm coax made with 25/22/14 ga coax so ignore my previous statement about "all video cables are RG6 with 18 ga conductors).

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
There is a lot more to it than to just make a blanket statement that silver or copper conductors are better. There are many other factors related to the wire, its dialectric, shielding, resistance, capacitance, etc. It would be like making a blanket statement that ported speakers are better than non-ported ones. There are good designs and not so good designs and not everything works equally with all components. One co., JPS Labs, www.jpslabs.com makes what some would consider great highend cable from materials described below:
"What’s even more striking is the materials we use which is our exclusive trademark. Our unique Alumiloy wire is made with ultra-pure alloy conductors in a blend never before perceived in the world of audio. JPS does with wire what no one else does. We put aside the typical copper and silver conductors all the rest are confined to using and created a new reference unique to JPS Labs (Look for Alumiloy wire in a growing list of high-end equipment for the best possible performance)."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks