Tony Rome(1967): Smokiest movie ever??

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Gary->dee, Aug 25, 2004.

1. Gary->dee

Gary->dee Screenwriter

I watched Frank Sinatra in Tony Rome recently and my god there was something like 168 cigarettes smoked throughout that movie. Ok that might be a slight exaggeration, or maybe it isn't! I should have counted the number of times people were smoking in the movie. The number would be up there. I mean in almost every single scene there's at least one person smoking, mostly Sinatra. Then someone else would walk into the scene and ask for a cigarette or there would already be yet another person smoking a cigarette. At one point Sinatra even gave a cigarette to a guy he just fought!

Anyway I just thought it was funny because it was definitely the smokiest movie I've ever seen, besides a Cheech & Chong movie but that's a different kind of smoke [​IMG]. I felt like coughing just by watching Tony Rome.

Anyone notice other movies with a lot of cigarette smoking in them? I'm willing to bet Tony Rome tops them all.

2. DaveButcher

DaveButcher Stunt Coordinator

Most movies made before 1960 have LOTS of smoking in them, esp the forties movies (esp the noirs), can't think of any off the top of my head that had more then others. I don't even notice it when I watch a movie.

Tony Rome is a great movie though, eh? From that movie he was a front runner for Dirty Harry, how would that have turned out?

3. Brook K

Brook K Lead Actor

On his commentary track for Ingmar Bergman's The Serpent's Egg, David Carradine talks about how he had quit smoking for 9 years previous and thought he had it licked. But Bergman wanted him to smoke in this movie so he agreed. Thanks to all the smoking he did during filming he got hooked again and has been smoking ever since.

4. Edwin Pereyra

Edwin Pereyra Producer

Are you sure it is not Grand Hotel? That one has its share of people smoking constantly onscreen, as well.

~Edwin

5. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

Ebert once wrote (or maybe it was his commentary for Casablanca, I forget) about how he laments the unofficial "banning" of smoking from the movies. He agrees with the reasons given like not promoting a dangerous habit, but he can't deny the use of smoking and smoke itself as an acting and photographic aid. Would Bogart be Bogart without the ever present Chesterfield, even though it killed him? Would the scenes in many Hollywood movies be the same without the haze of smoke and the cigarettes hanging from a lower lip or more importantly, giving an actor something to do with his hands besides hide them in his/her lap. Say what you want about a nasty, filthy habit, but there is a certain "cool" quality to characters that smoke and smoking has been used to enhance hand movements, facial expressions and add character filler to many a movie. Ebert agrees, so I can't be that far off.[​IMG]

6. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

Millennium Mambo. I saw it in a film discussion group and it just clobbers you with the tobacco, so much so that we were assigning meaning to the one sequence where it didn't seem like every character had a cigarette.

7. Haggai

Haggai Producer

DaveButcher mentioned '40s noir films--specifically, Out Of The Past has wall-to-wall smoking.

8. Richard Kim

Richard Kim Producer

Here's a modern example:

In The Man Who Wasn't There, Billy Bob Thornton smokes in practically every scene.

9. Bill Huelbig

Bill Huelbig Second Unit

Bill Huelbig
    The Bette Davis thriller DEAD RINGER (1964) is full of smoking. It's even an important part of the plot.

10. Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek Insider
    Insider

One of the all-time best for smoking - 1951's LOST CONTINENT. While they're climbing the mountain (and once they reach the plateau) they seem to be lighting up at every opportunity.

They could have killed all the prehistoric monsters with second-hand smoke.