Tony Hawk 4-Wow, this is hard...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Bardon, Feb 20, 2003.

1. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

Ok, so I'm a little late to the Tony Hawk 4 party, but this is starting to get crazy. I thought that I was reasonably good-I beat ALL of 3, and was holding my own on 4. Some of the goals were tough, but I managed to get the first 90. Still couldn't get the slalom on Kona, but all the other basic goals were done. Then, the pro challenges. Harder-got one of them (mullen), which unlocked a whole pile of other goals. Tried a couple of those (some tougher than others), and decided to use some cash to buy the Carnival level.

Up until this point, I'd thought that they were going easier on the scores. I remembered the cruise ship with it's 500,000 pt Sick Score, and thought that they'd gone soft when they only had 100-250k in the regular levels. Then-750,000 in the carnival? Managed to get this one, but 1,500,000? I have no idea how the hell I'm going to get this? Has ANYONE finished all of the goals in this game?

2. Dave Falasco

Dave Falasco Screenwriter

You ain't lyin', brother. I thought I was a pretty good TH player, having mastered 2 and 3, but 4 is just sick. The Carnival level is silly-hard, and forget about Chicago. I wish I could give you some helpful tips or something, but that was one game that joined Project Gotham on my shelf as "too hard to be enjoyable" after a while. Crazy!

3. GaryAR

GaryAR Agent

hawk 4 is pure evil. you don't even want to know how many hours it took me to get a 1.5 million point score at the carnival...

here's my advice: learn two or three different special tricks really well (i used the barrel roll and indy 900). start your run by getting special on the first ramp you're heading toward. do a special trick on the next ramp, and manual over to the track (make sure you've finished the goal where you have to clear the ramps out of the middle of it first). then, grind around the perimeter and especially on top of the awning that goes around it. once you're in that ring, a typical run (for me) is special (900) to barrel roll to invert up on the top, grind to pick up some speed, and then do a couple of laps around the top where you have a continuous circular lip to grind. after that, drop back down, do another invert, and finish with some flatland tricks to get your multiplier up even higher. once you get the hang of it, 500,000 point combos aren't too hard to come by.

-gary

4. Chris Bardon

Progressing slowly but surely-trying to knock off some of the pro goals at this point. Got a few of them so far, but there's a couple of goals where I just can't figure out what they're talking about...

-One of the pro goals (Andrew Reynolds I think) involves pool skating in alcatraz. I can get to the last trick (liptrick on the grommet of the water tower), but I can't figure out where the hell I'm supposed to plant. Anyone found this one yet?

-Also, I'm missing one of the regular goals in the Zoo level. There's a guy in the aquarium, but I can't seem to get inside. I'm sure it has something to do with the elephant, but I've tried everything I can think of with it, but no luck. Any idea what to do here?

Managed to get the 500,000 pt combo in the carnival, but the 1.5 mil is still eluding me (as is the stupid "ride all the rides" goal). Haven't tried Chicago yet-have to earn cash to buy it. Wasted money on the the most craptacular set of hidden skaters ever...

5. Joseph Young

Joseph Young Screenwriter

THPS4 is a beast, much more difficult than the previous entries in the THPS series. One of the advantages of timed runs is that the goals are crafted to be more concise, whereas the open-ended approach, while a necessary step forward for the series, gives you some wild variance in terms of goal difficulty.

I personally found the 'collect skate in one combo' goals to be most challenging for me. While the manual and revert make the stringing of tricks quite easy, it can be difficult to ride the length of several hundred meters with a manual while hopping hurdles along the way. A lot of room for error. I actually stopped the game at Kona and went back to THPS3; for some reason, I find the level and goal design in that game much more concise.

And don't even get me started about the 'pro goals!'

Fun game overall, though.

~j

6. John Royster

John Royster Screenwriter

Yeah, its pretty tough in the later stages.

I've only got maybe 6 goals total left (got most of the pro challenges already) and am struggling.

The slalom at Kona was really difficult for me.

7. Chris Bardon

Well, it's hard but not impossible-got goal 190 of 190 last night. Found out that the trick for getting the sick scores is with one of the hidden characters. If you use Jango Fett, he's got this nice special trick called "Jango Jump Jet" which basically blasts you up really high. It's useful, because you can pull off another special right after, in a case where you normally wouldn't have enough height to do it. The trick is-find a halfpipe (or any set of ramps), build up special meter, go back and forth 3 or 4 times with the jump Jet/900 (brings your base score to around 30,000), manual, and do a pile of handflips etc to build the multiplier. Ended up with a 1.2 million pt combo this way on the carnival (but I did add a couple of special grings in as well).

Overall, I'd say that this is the strongest Tony Hawk game yet. The open ended structure is wonderful, and the variation on the goals was a lot of fun (albeit frustrating). Bring on Hawk 5!

8. Dave Falasco

Dave Falasco Screenwriter

Good job, Chris! That had to be one of the harder videogames to finish. Even with Jango I wasn't able to complete more than about half of the game. I don't know what it was, but I just didn't have the willpower to stick to TH4 like I stuck to TH3. Maybe I'm getting burned out on the Tony Hawk series? [​IMG]

Anyway, congrats dude! I suspect that not too many people can say they've completed that game.