Tony Hawk 4 review up at IGN

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Paul_Fisher, Oct 24, 2002.

1. Paul_Fisher

Paul_Fisher Screenwriter

Hey everyone, here are the closing comments from the Tony Hawk 4 review for the PS2. I thought you all might want to see it.

Easily the best Tony Hawk game yet, and online multiplayer makes it the best complete package in the genre. Even the silliness of the edited soundtrack isn't as bad as what happened to "Police Truck" in the original game, or the empty chorus to "Guerilla Radio" in Hawk 2. The score would make a little more sense had we not gotten so carried away last fall with Hawk 3, but some things you can't do anything about.
    Unless you consider yourself completely burnt out on the skating genre, this comes highly recommended, and even the jaded may find that Hawk 4's expanded career mode breathes new life into the series. We still wonder when this series will eventually run out of gas, but it won't be happening this year.

-- David Smith

Presentation
    The load times are a little stiff, but otherwise the interface presents gameplay and creation modes with ease. 9.0
    Graphics
    While the details haven't changed much in the interim, the size of the game world has increased without a hitch. 8.0
    Sound
    Killer soundtrack, intelligent sound design, boneheaded lyric editing. Don't mind me, I'm just funny this way... 8.0
    Gameplay
    Rock-solid fundamental control, a thoroughly redesigned career mode, and great online multiplayer. 9.5
    Lasting Appeal
    You could play this one forever. 9.5
    OVERALL SCORE (not an average) 9.3
    Click Here for Ratings Guide

2. Adam Tyner

Adam Tyner Screenwriter

3. felix_suwarno

felix_suwarno Screenwriter

any soundtrack? i bought soundtrack for number 3 last year. it was cool.

4. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

Looks very cool to me. I wonder what if there really any difference between the three versions beyond online play...looks like I'll be picking this one up soon.

5. GlenHaag

GlenHaag Supporting Actor

I like the fact that they did away with the 2 minute time limit and just opened the areas up so that you can skate around quite a bit more.

I loved 3 on my Gamecube(it was the only console I had at the time). Now I just have to debate if I should get it for my PS2 for some online lovin'.

Glen

6. Adam Tyner

Adam Tyner Screenwriter

7. Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark Cinematographer

The GC version has less MP modes due to the fact that there is no way to play online or system link.

8. Jean-Michel

Jean-Michel Supporting Actor

9. Peter D

Peter D Stunt Coordinator

It's a real disappointment that the Xbox version doesn't support online play. [​IMG]

10. Eric Alderson

Eric Alderson Stunt Coordinator

I got the PS2 version today. The soundtrack seems to flow better. I didn't care much for the rap tracks on THPS3, but I like them here now (NWA, Run-DMC). The graphics and frame rate are excellent. I was floored at the detail on the Alcatraz level. BTW, there is 16x9 mode on the PS2 version. I'm not sure if THPS3 had it but it looked good.

11. Dean DeMass

Dean DeMass Screenwriter

I've played Tony Hawk 4 (PS2 version) for about 5 hours and it is the best in the series, IMHO of course. I was worried about how the game would look since I opted for the PS2 version instead of the X-Box, and I can safely say that the game looks incredible on my Toshiba 50h82. I am running it s-video and the game looks solid. I'm going to rent the X-box version just to see how it looks.

I'll some more thoughts about the game after I have played it a bit more thoroughly.

-Dean-

12. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

I am postponing a game buying frenzy until Christmas, but glad to hear Hawk 4 is all good, I've not touched a Tony game since 2 on the Dreamcast, and I am now looking to return. [​IMG]
    Despite having the run of the 3 consoles, I will probably go PS2 on this one for it's cheaper and I don't have controler S for the x-box so the PS2 pad would seem the better option. Can't wait!
    Dan