What's new

Tony Hawk 3 for Xbox (1 Viewer)

Peter D

Stunt Coordinator
Since I haven't seen anything posted on this yet, just thought I'd pass along my impressions of TH3 for Xbox after a weekend of gameplay.
First off, I've never touched a Tony Hawk game on any platform, so I don't know how it compares to other versions. The graphics are excellent (fast & silky smooth with not a hint of slowdown through the five maps I've played) and the sound is fine (seems to use all of the surrounds, but it's not terrible noticeable). It lets you use custom soundtracks, which is nice, but you can't mix your tracks with the TH tracks, which is a bummer.
Where this game *really* shines, though, is the gameplay. I finally got to see what all of the fuss was about the TH games. It really strikes that perfect balance between challenging and frustrating. And with all of the customization that's possible, it's hard to see this title getting old for quite a while.
Between TH3, JSRF, and Rallisport, the last couple of weeks have been very good to Xbox owners. :D

Dave Falasco

Screenwriter
I was a huge THPS2 fan on the PSX, and I enjoyed 2X on the Xbox (although I never ended up buying it), so I was really anxious for 3 to finally make its way to the big black box. And I agree, it is an excellent game--clearly the best of the three, and with Tony Hawk, that's really saying something. But for the first time I am having trouble with the controller on this game. I guess I am just conditioned to have the grind button directly over the ollie button in the classic Playstation cross pattern. I love the game, but I can't wait for my Japanese controllers to get here!
Also, playing Tony Hawk after 20 hours of Jet Set can be disorienting at first. I found myself skating towards telephone poles and wondering why I couldn't grind straight up them. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks