What's new

Tony Hawk 3 Coming to XBox (1 Viewer)

JoelH

Stunt Coordinator
Just saw this over at GameSpot:
Tony Hawk 3 Coming to X-Box
I am very excited about this. I have held off purchasing Tony Hawk 2 because I figured they would be working on porting 3 to the X-Box. The reviews I hear from the GC side sound pretty good, so I expect a nice release here.
Anyone else looking forward to this?
----
Joel

Ryan Peter

Screenwriter
I am. It says it won't have Internet support, but it actually will, just like Halo does. Hopefully they will throw in some nice higher res textures and clean up the frame rate issues. The best thing is being able to rip songs. I got tired of the TH3 songs about half an hour after I started playing.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
It will have that internet support like Halo, but not like the PS2 does.

Why don't they hold it to the late Spring and then when MS starts the internet stuff in summer, allow people to use it?

Eric Alderson

Stunt Coordinator
They are stupid for not putting internet play in. The PS2 version has it and there is no modem available from Sony. X-Box has it the Ethernet built in. Besides, the consoles themselves act as the server so what’s the problem? I love to play THPS3 online since it's a refreshing change of pace from single-play and 2-player split screen.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Did you ever think that they might not have had the time to do it?

Think about it this way-THPS3 has been out for Ps2 and Gamecube for a couple of months now, and longer than that by the time it's released for Xbox. To make sure that people are still interested when it's released, they want it out as fast as possible. Add to this that the game is a Ps2 port, and you'll end up with a good reason for no internet play. Mayby if Tony Hawk 4 is actually designed with the Xbox in mind rather than the Ps2, you'll see full internet support.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
They released Tony Hawk 2 for N64 only a few months ago. Waiting until the summer to release THPS3 for X-Box and including broadband support would not be that big of a deal.

If anything, I think they saw it as the X-Box not having that big of an installed base or MS is being strict about how online games work on the X-Box. AFAIK, you need to do something with them that would set up billing information (for games that charge) with your console, and they probably want all online games on MS' servers.

Dan B

Screenwriter
I'm looking forward to this one. Even though the previous games in the series have not been my cup of tea, this version seems to have made a change in gameplay that appeals to me...hopefully.
On a side note, since this game got a perfect 10 at sites like Gamespot, and the Xbox version will likely be smoother, better looking, better sounding, and have more features*...who wants to make a guess as to how much lower Gamespot will score it than the PS2/Gamecube versions for "not taking advantage of Xbox's capabilities"? Even though I haven't played it, My money is on a 9.0.
*aside from the missing online support, of course
-Dan B.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
What would tell you that it would have better graphics, modes, etc.? They won't add anything to it (like extra modes) because the PS2 and GCN gamers would miss out and it only has the potential to have better graphics and such, but that doesn't mean it will. SSX Tricky was best on the PS2 because of purely direct porting to the GCN and XB.

Because of the time between releases, THPS3 for XB will probably have better graphics from the GCN and PS2 versions, but thats only if they decide to put those things into it.

AFAIK, the group who is porting it made the game from scratch for the PS2, then ported it to the GCN (by themselves), and is doing the same for the XB, so the time difference between releases could be due to them doing it by themselves.

Dan B

Screenwriter
What would tell you that it would have better graphics, modes, etc.? They won't add anything to it (like extra modes) because the PS2 and GCN gamers would miss out and it only has the potential to have better graphics and such, but that doesn't mean it will.
Have you read the article at Gamespot from the first post in this thread? Here's what is says: "Activision does have some specific enhancements planned. For starters, much like Microsoft's own Amped and Project Gotham Racing, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater on the Xbox will let players create their own soundtrack by saving songs on the console's hard drive. Along with all the returning levels, the Xbox version will include an entirely new area. Additionally, the career mode has been updated, giving players more character-specific goals, and the game has been better balanced for the beginner as well as the expert player. Finally, although there will be no online options, up to four players will be able to compete head-to-head via the Xbox system link."
I didn't mean it would be much different than the other versions, just equal to the other versions with some enhancements. The fact that it will score lower is a pet peeve of mine lately. :)
--Dan (in hell)

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
All thats being added is the soundtrack feature and a new area. Those are good additions, but they will do nothing to the graphics, and as GameSpot says, that wouldn't be taking full advantage of the console.

In GameSpot's defense, MS shouldn't have said how great the X-Box would be with all its features and then not have any games use all of them well in its launch. Halo looks and sounds excellent, but no soundtrack feature (AFAIK there isn't one) or legit online play. The DC could at least go online out of the box, so it could hype the modem, but the XB has a useless piece of hardware (unless you own a broadband modem). I guess the GameSpot guys are pissed that there are no XB games that reached their expectations, though Halo did get a 10.

Dan B

Screenwriter
I'm not going to get all worked up over this Morgan, but I find it funny that you're now using the Dreamcast as a defense against the Xbox. (given some of your comments on the DC in the past)

Back to the topic, I'm looking forward to this one. For some reason, the new level layouts sort of remind me a little more of Jet Set Radio for some reason. Can anyone who's played this one as well as the previous games in the series explain the changes for better or worse?

-Dan

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Hmm, not taking advantage out of the box you say? Useless piece of hardware? I guess that 3 xbox system link game of Halo we had the other night then was just a figment of my immagination then.

How long did Sega take to get their online network up anyhow? Out of the box at launch? I think not.

And as for broadband, how many people are actually still using the internet via dialup? Really, most people who will be interested in any sort of gaming online will have cable/dsl or possibly better at this point, and most of those that don't will probably have it in the next 8-10 months.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Can anyone who's played this one as well as the previous games in the series explain the changes for better or worse?
The levels in THPS3 are generally much bigger, with more areas to them vs the levels in 2. There are more goals per level, and the goals tend to be a little more interactive - like grinding a snow covered tree to dump snow on a bully below, causing an earthquake that opens up new areas, things like that. Generally, the area design is good - some good enclosed indoor areas, some good more 'spread out' outdoor ones. There's no 'nightmare' section like the dam level in THPS1, a good thing to me.
The initial character speed is higher than the previous games - you go faster initially than you did originally. Grinding is definitely easier than it was before. The balance indicator has changed graphically - a big deal to some people.
They dumped the 'cash earning' system of THPS2 in favour of a goal total like the first game - complete enough goals & you unlock the next section, just like the first one.
Create-a-skater is definitely much improved. Haven't touched the skatepark editor.
Generally, the THPS-aholics in work love it. I know I really enjoy it. Wasted too much time on the PS2 version today instead of working ;)
Nothing they mention on the XBox version seems like a 'major deal' TBH. The screens/movies I've seen don't really seem like a graphical upgrade at all. Models seem a little 'duller' lighting wise. Ho hum. This isn't aimed at THPS3 owners on the PS2/GC TBH.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Brian is very very correct here. Trust me I work for an ISP:frowning:. Broadband is still not as widespread as allot may think. It still has a long way to go. The number of dial up users far outnumber the those with cable/DSL. Immerging satellite and wireless technologies are helping to bridge the gap for those that either cannot have DSL provisioning done on there phone lines or those who simply dont have cable available. Nonetheless, there is still allot of work to be done.
Its a very risky and gutsy move for Microsoft to have made the X-box broadband only. If you watched the concept video for what Microsoft has planned for there network you start to get an understanding of why they went the broadband route only. I hope they can pull it all off. If voice communication and smooth internet play can be achieved on any console its a good thing for us all.

Ike

Screenwriter
Hey, I'm just glad I got broadband! I still, however, will have to see if there's any games that will make me pay to play online-no Halo, and no THPS3 (which I couldn't get to go online on PS2, although it recognized my cable modem), means what? It needs some killer app that goes online. I'm sure they will launch it with the network.

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
I have to admit that having ethernet rather than a modem seems like a very bad move here in the UK, where only a tiny minority have broadband, and most of those are from cable providers that only supply USB adaptors, not ethernet ones.

You'd be surprised how far away from the lead edge most people are; when the voice-patch for Half-Life came out on the PC about 6 months ago, it included an optional hardware survey. The single most popular graphics card by far was the TNT series; only a small minority had upgraded to any type of GeForce.

On the other hand, I don't see much on the consoles (maybe PSO on the Dreamcast) that I'd want to play online against a bunch of strangers, so ethernet connections to make LAN games possible is great in that regard.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Well, the general rule that I use for these kinds of things is that a technology is mainstream when my father gets it-especially when it's something PC related, and even he has cable. Maybe it's just that I'm used to talking to other University students, but everyone I know is on either cable or DSL. Is Canada just more "connected" than other countries perhaps?

JoelH

Stunt Coordinator
While I agree that not including a modem seems right now to be a problem (for some) for the X-Box, I think that Microsoft is obviously aiming for something larger.

Despite the immediate gratification, pomp and circumstance and general goodwill that including both a modem and a broadband connector might have generated, I think that 5-10 years from now, we will be saying, "Gee, the X-Box was the first system to exlusively support broadband gaming!"

Microsoft, in some ways, doesn't really care about some of the complaints that are arising now. As long as they sell enough product (games included) to firmly establish a foothold in the market, their eyes are on the prize ten years from now. This isn't anything that hasn't been said before.

I can almost guarantee that most of us (with a few exceptions), will not remember or care about the lack of broadband gaming in the first year of the X-Box. I will remember, though, the pleasure of slicing through Convenant and Flood in Halo.

----

Joel

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks