What's new

Tons of Questions (New Poster) (1 Viewer)

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Well, yes and no.
In many cases you'll get the film soundtrack no matter which track you pick, so you'll likely get some sound either way- but there is a difference.
It's like playing a record versus playing a CD: the audio on LD is stored both as an analog linear track (like a record or tape) and as digital info (like a CD). You get to choose which version of the audio you choose. Certainly whichever you choose will come out the same hole in the back of the player- but the tracks will likely be different in sound quality- and most people prefer the fidelity of the digital tracks.
Also, on some lds, they omit including the film soundtrack on the analog tracks, and instead include a director commentary or other audio supplement there. In that case, you can't hear the actual audio from the film unless the digital tracks are selected.
So, I would say, set the player on DIGITAL tracks, and make sure the receiver is set to Dolby Pro Logic or Pro Logic 2 decoding- and you'll have surround sound on your lasers.
-Vince

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
1. There is a digital/analog selector on the LD player, I forgot it even existed since it had been so long since I used the remote for the player itself. I have it set to analog since I am using analog connectors and the appropriate jacks on the AV/R
No, no, no, no, no.
Set the LD player to play the digital track. It will almost always be superior, and as Vince has noted, on many LDs, it will be the only way to get the film's soundtrack.
I don't know why your receiver won't give you sound from all speakers when you apply Dolby ProLogic or THX Cinema to the Jurassic Park LD. I used to have a Pioneer Elite receiver (a much earlier model than yours), and that's how it worked.
M.

DonaldM

Grip
Hello again Vince and Michael, before we go further I want to thanks you both for all the time youve put into helping me, Im sure Im driving you both nuts by now.
Vince,
The CLD-96 has regular RCA jacks, an S Video and an Optical digital out, I am using RCA jacks.
Michael,
I did, I went back and set the LD player to Digital, it makes no difference, and I agree it SHOULD be playing through all speakers set up the way it is.
The LD

DonaldM

Grip
Sorry hit the wrong key,

The LD player is ten years old and what I think Vince said at one point about it maybe having never played as surround is I guess possible but my wife strongly disagrees.
I think I'll replace the player at some point as its seen a lot of wear and makes a bit of noise on some discs.

Thanks again for your help guys, its sure been an adventure and an education.

Don

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
The LD player is ten years old and what I think Vince said at one point about it maybe having never played as surround is I guess possible but my wife strongly disagrees.
Your wife must be like mine, because she's right! :)
It isn't the player that determines which speakers will be used; it's the receiver. I've had a CLD-95 for 10 years, and I can assure you that LDs played on it from the beginning have driven all of the speakers in my setup. I too have played Jurassic Park on a CLD-95, and it produces very significant activity in my surrounds and sub. There's something odd with your receiver's setup, but I can't imagine what it could be.
M.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Again: YOU CAN GET SURROUND, Just apply Pro Logic to the stereo ld feed. When i said you never got surround, I meant you never got 5.1: the player supplies a stereo feed and prologic can process that into surround!
This seems to still be a confusion. You don't need to replace the player, you don't need to replace the player, you don't need to replace the player. Just turn on pro logic on the receiver.
I'm sure you got surround before, your old receiver/previous setup likely had prologic enabled.
Turn on pro logic.
-Vince

DonaldM

Grip
Im still laughing at the comment about my wife, that is so true, I can argue with her for an hour and she's usually right about most things.

OK she's out there monkeying with the thing as we speak, I dug up a Surround sound Video tape (Armaggedon) and we played it in regular Dolby Pro- Logic mode and sure enough all speakers were firing beautifully.
Which makes no sense, if it's not the player (which I agree with you) why do all other players (VCR and DVD) not have a problem with the same receiver, all I do when I go from one player to another is change the selection (i.e. VCR to DVD etc).
Also she just came in and told me that per the instructions for the CLD 95 the video out should be in the #2 audio out jacks so I'll let her try that, this is so funny, its driving us both mad cause she knows it worked before, I'll keep ya posted guys.

DonaldM

Grip
No new news, still not working, one of the other members has emailed me and it appears he and a few other members live in my area and he's offered to come over and help me figure this out.
Thanks again for the education, I learned a lot from you guys and saved all the emails for future reference.

Don

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
I'm not sure what the problem is. Set the receiver to the input the LD is connected to. Turn on Pro Logic (see your receiver manual on how to do that). Most inputs are independent- meaning just because pro logic is on for VHS input, it might not be on for LD.

Do you not get surround when doing this? Is the pro logic mode on?

-Vince

DonaldM

Grip
Hey Vince, sorry if Im driving you nuts with this but Ive done just what you said in your last reply.
I select LD/SAT and then select dolby pro logic or THX and still I only get the left and right channel.
And actually the mode will not change to a default when I change players. If I have the VCR on with THX and change to DVD, it will still be displaying the THX mode, I have to force a change by selecting another mode.
I know this is a hell of a problem and makes no sense whatsoever but I'll keep pluggin away on it, I may go into setup for the AV/Receiver and see if theres something I missed, it doenst make any sense but I'll do it tomorrow.
Thanks again.
Don

DonaldM

Grip
Great News Guys and Gals :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
My wife and I finally figured it out, it makes no sense but it works.
By isolating the subwoofer we determined it was working, it appears that all speakers were firing we just couldnt tell as the LF and RF were drowning them out.
I took several attempts but we ended up in speaker level set up a half dozen times till we ended up with the LF and RF level set at -3 while all others except for the Sub set at ten. Now how this is going to affect the levels when we watch a DVD again I dont know but at least we've got the LD player working as it should.
My main speakers are Polk Audio SDA-2's, they are huge and I guess they are VERY efficient compared to the rest of my setup, the other factor was that my surround and center channel were set as small rather than large speakers in the set up mode on the AV/Receiver.
Thanks again for all your help guys< I really appreciate all you did for me and the uncredible amount of time you worked on this for me. I wasnt gonna give up till I got it even if I had to hire someone to come over and figure it out.
I have a couple of local members of this board coming over with an Avia disc and a Sound Level meter tomorrow and we'll get this thing fine tuned.
Everybody have a great weekend.
Don

DonaldM

Grip
Sorry for the typo's I was in a hurry to go watch a laser disc. That should have read "Incredible amount of time"

Don

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks