Tonight's Sex and the City- One Long Commercial!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Todd Hochard, Aug 11, 2002.

1. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

Now, I get the idea of product placement in shows, since that's the way "real life" is (although, the chicken-and-egg aspect of this is not lost on me), but this episode was out of control.

The Amazon bit was a flat-out tutorial; The Krispy Kreme and Weight Watchers overdone, AOL, and, of course, the Apple logo in every episode.

Anyone else think they went too far?

Todd

2. MickeS

MickeS Producer

No, I don't think they went too far. These are all names and products that people talk about often in real life (just look at this forum!), and it wasn't out of place at all in this episode.

What I hate is when a not-at-all-well-known product in a show is treated as if it was a household name.

/Mike

3. BrianB

BrianB Producer

It seemed completely done on purpose & "pushed" to make a point. I mean the Krusty Kreme bit could easily have just been a 'regular' donut without the label.

Could it have been done to 'get back' at HBO? As in they were 'asked' to mention sponsors throughout this mini-season & the writers/producers of the show did this to ram home their dissatisfaction with the idea? Because it seemed /very/ poorly done.

4. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

5. BrianB

BrianB Producer

6. Jodee

Jodee Screenwriter

I initially thought the Amazon one seemed over the top, but then after she got all those crappy "recommendations" I thought it served as a good anti-commercial. [​IMG]
    And I doubt Krispy Kreme would have paid for that kind of product placement - since they basically equated the glaze on a donut to a woman's "juices" from oral sex.
    Ultimately, Miranda could no longer eat a Krispy Kreme donut!

7. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

So no comments on fellatio in the office or in the bathroom? [​IMG]
    I will look at my next glazed donut in a different light...then devour it with exquisite pleasure!

8. Michael Reuben

9. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

I didn't find the "product placement" to be distracting, but rather natural. It did remind me of Seinfeld in some respects.

10. Larry Price

Larry Price Stunt Coordinator

This morning I logged onto Amazon for another reason and the title book on the main page was the one that was discussed in last nights episode. Skipped by it since I wasnt interested anyway.

Searched again now after seeing this thread, and found this:

Looking for This Book?
    No-Help Self-Help
    In a recent episode of Sex and the City, Charlotte--too timid to buy a certain self-help book at a bookstore--turned to Amazon.com for a copy of Dr. Jane Raab's Starting Over Yet Again. The secret's out: the book doesn't really exist, but we're sure you'll find what you're looking for in our self-help bestsellers--and have fun exploring our Sex and the City Store.

Also, I dont exactly remember them saying it was B&N (although it was obviously the interior of the store).

And they chose not to mention a well-known brown shipping company.

11. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

I've been watching Sex & the City for a long time, and I've never seen it so blatant as last night.
    The thing that I fear is that this will (and apparently is) become more prevalent down the road. I have visions of a two-hour commercial, with an insignificant plot included to tie it all together.[​IMG]
    I don't care for it. I don't wish to be continuously advertised to, although it appears that many are OK with it. And, yes, I think it's a problem in "real life," too.
    Todd

12. BrianB

BrianB Producer

13. Max Knight

Max Knight Supporting Actor

I've actually heard the appearance of a man after "going downtown" referred to as a "glazed donut" for quite a while. I found the tying of the act with the snack quite funny.

The placements didn't bother me at all, because the show has always named brands.

14. Pete M

Pete M Stunt Coordinator

15. Michael Reuben

16. BrianB

BrianB Producer

Michael, I do hear what you're saying & understand what you're getting at. I don't think you're hearing what /I'm/ saying - they went from the occasional mention to complete overload.

And I did like the episode outside of the product placement.