What's new

tone generator (1 Viewer)

Randy Noel

Stunt Coordinator
I downloaded the NCH tone generator. Can someone tell me exactly what steps I take to burn test tones onto a cd using my computer's cd burner? I want to do some measurements on my new sub.

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
Why don't you just send the output from the soundcard directly to the input of the receiver or pre/pro?

Otherwise you need to loop the output from the soundcard back to the input. And record the test tones into a folder. Then burn the file to a CD.

Randy Noel

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Thomas, but you have seriously overestimated my technical knowledge!:b First, my computer and my receiver are in separate parts of the house. And I don't know how to loop from my soundcard's output to its input. Just getting to the back of my computer is not an easy task! If there's not some way to save tones as a wave file or something and then burn it to a disc, I'm probably in over my head! Sorry for my extreme ignorance.

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
Nope it's not that easy............

When you run the tone generator, all it does is send the tones to the output of your sound card.

You have no option but to access the soundcard (audio input/output on the PC) unless you buy someone's premade tone disc, or have a high speed connection and download premade tones.

From the output of the sound card there are two options, IF the sound card is full-duplex (this means it can both playback and record at the same time).

One is get a REALLY long cable and attach it from the output of the soundcard to your receiver or pre/pro aux inputs.

Two is get a short cable that will attach from the output of the soundcard to the input of the soundcard (that's called a 'loop-back' when you feed the output to the input).

With that set up and some recording software you can send tones out from the soundcard back into the soundcard (hence the need for fullduplex.) Those can them be recorded in realtime to your hard drive.

The other option is of course just to buy something like the test tone disk from Stryke or some place else.

Randy Noel

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Thomas. I do have a high speed connection (Cable). Is there a good site you could point me to where I could download some test tones? It sounds like that might be the easiest. Thanks for your help.

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
If you look at the top of the main HTF DIY and Advanced Projects forum you'll see a link that says Sonotube Project Links Toward the bottom of that page there are quite a few different test tones. Or you can click on the link above.

Jon W.

Stunt Coordinator
This can be done easily without using soundcard outs and ins and special cables. Make your tones with NCH then save them as a .wav file. If you have Nero just select burn music cd and add in all the .wav files and it will convert them to cd audio. I'm sure Easy CD Creator (Roxio) will do the same.

To do the tones with NCH go up and select TONE, then under number of tones select 1. With the RIGHT mouse button click on the SINE 1 FREQUENCY and then hit EDIT VALUE. Enter the frequency of the tone you want. Then with the RIGHT mouse button click the SINE DURATION and EDIT VALUE and enter the length you want the tone to play. Hit PLAY to test the tone and see if its what you want and then under FILE hit SAVE AS .WAV and put it in a folder where you can find it for burning later. Do this for each tone you want then burn as stated above. Easy peasy japaneesy.:D

Hope this helps you.

Jon W.

Stunt Coordinator
Oh and when I said test them to see if its what you want, I mean watch the duration to see if its the length you want because if your making low tones for your sub you probably won't be able to hear them thru your puter speakers.

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
Jon W.

Thanks for that tip.

I have a older version of the tone generator program, and that isn't an option in the version I have.

Jon W.

Stunt Coordinator
Sweet Randy! Glad I could help!:emoji_thumbsup:

Thomas I have version 2.01 and my trial period has expired and it still lets me do it. It won't let me play the tones from NCH anymore but I can still make them and play them with WMP. Download the new one.

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
Jon W.

If you want a copy of the old freeware version of the program (it never expires) email me I'll get it to you. The zipped file is a bit over 200k.

Jon W.

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks anyway Thomas but I don't guess I'll need it as long as I can make wavs (pun intended):D ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks