What's new

Tone Controls for Multichannel SACD/DVD-A? (1 Viewer)

Ken Cerce

Agent
Do all receivers/pre-amps prohibit the use of tone control (bass & treble) for the multichannel analog input or is each receiver unique? I have read about the Sony receivers not allowing any tone control at all for 5.1 input but i was wondering if all receivers behave the same. If tone control is possible, does it have any effect on the music quality? Can all the 5.1 channels be adjusted? THANKS! :D

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Ken, the multi-channel analog inputs on pre-amps and receivers are designed to bypass all processing, so you may not be able to find a component that has the tone controls active on these inputs. Multichannel analog inputs, of course, allow one to play formats that a pre-amp or receiver cannot decode itself (e.g., Dolby Digital, DTS, SACD, or DVD-Audio). As a result, these inputs usually bypass the DSP section and tone controls.

Now that I think of it, the Denon AVR-5800 receiver allows bass management on the multi-channel analog inputs, but that feature is uncommon.

Ken Cerce

Agent
Keith, Thanks for the response. I too have a Sony ES receiver, but an older model without 5.1 ch inputs (DA30ES). I am looking into replacing this receiver with one that has 5.1 ch inputs so I am trying to evaluate my options. I currently can adjust all tone controls for 2 ch SACD playback since my receiver does not have a "direct" mode. Do you find yourself wanting to adjust the tone controls for MC SACD playback in your current system? I have adjusted the bass to max on all my Energy Take 5 speakers and I am concerned that MC SACD may sound bass deficient without tone control. What is your experience?

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Ken, I don't mess with anything with multi-channel SACDs when connected to the 5.1-channel inputs on my Sony STR-V444ES. As for bass deficiency, many multi-channel discs, whether they be DVDs, DTS CDs, DVD-Audio discs, or SACDs, lack discrete LFE channels. So, without tone controls, you will hear little or no bass.

Ken Cerce

Agent
Does anyone that owns a receiver other than a SONY have the ability to adjust the tone control for a SACD/DVD-A player input through the 5.1 analog inputs? If you can, which speakers can you adjust? :confused:

Brian R

Stunt Coordinator
I have a Denon AVR3300, I just checked and I can adjust the tone controls while using the 5.1 inputs from my DVD Audio player. It only affects the main left and right channels, not the center or the surround. I can also adjust the channel levels for the 5.1 input for all 6 channels using the receivers channel level controls.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks