Tone Controls for Multichannel SACD/DVD-A?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ken Cerce, Feb 12, 2002.

1. Ken Cerce

Ken Cerce Agent

Do all receivers/pre-amps prohibit the use of tone control (bass & treble) for the multichannel analog input or is each receiver unique? I have read about the Sony receivers not allowing any tone control at all for 5.1 input but i was wondering if all receivers behave the same. If tone control is possible, does it have any effect on the music quality? Can all the 5.1 channels be adjusted? THANKS! [​IMG]

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Ken, the multi-channel analog inputs on pre-amps and receivers are designed to bypass all processing, so you may not be able to find a component that has the tone controls active on these inputs. Multichannel analog inputs, of course, allow one to play formats that a pre-amp or receiver cannot decode itself (e.g., Dolby Digital, DTS, SACD, or DVD-Audio). As a result, these inputs usually bypass the DSP section and tone controls.

Now that I think of it, the Denon AVR-5800 receiver allows bass management on the multi-channel analog inputs, but that feature is uncommon.

3. Ken Cerce

Ken Cerce Agent

Keith, Thanks for the response. I too have a Sony ES receiver, but an older model without 5.1 ch inputs (DA30ES). I am looking into replacing this receiver with one that has 5.1 ch inputs so I am trying to evaluate my options. I currently can adjust all tone controls for 2 ch SACD playback since my receiver does not have a "direct" mode. Do you find yourself wanting to adjust the tone controls for MC SACD playback in your current system? I have adjusted the bass to max on all my Energy Take 5 speakers and I am concerned that MC SACD may sound bass deficient without tone control. What is your experience?

4. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Ken, I don't mess with anything with multi-channel SACDs when connected to the 5.1-channel inputs on my Sony STR-V444ES. As for bass deficiency, many multi-channel discs, whether they be DVDs, DTS CDs, DVD-Audio discs, or SACDs, lack discrete LFE channels. So, without tone controls, you will hear little or no bass.

5. Ken Cerce

Ken Cerce Agent

Does anyone that owns a receiver other than a SONY have the ability to adjust the tone control for a SACD/DVD-A player input through the 5.1 analog inputs? If you can, which speakers can you adjust? [​IMG]

6. Brian R

Brian R Stunt Coordinator

I have a Denon AVR3300, I just checked and I can adjust the tone controls while using the 5.1 inputs from my DVD Audio player. It only affects the main left and right channels, not the center or the surround. I can also adjust the channel levels for the 5.1 input for all 6 channels using the receivers channel level controls.