tone controls and surround modes

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Daryl_hawk, Sep 22, 2004.

1. Daryl_hawk

Daryl_hawk Agent

I have a question about tone controls on recievers. My current receiver is a Denon AVR-1603 and it appears that the tone controls only affect the front 2 speakers in any surround mode (5.1 DD, Analog 6 ch input, 5 ch stereo etc) and not the centre or rears. Why is this???? This seems really bizarre to me. Basically I have to keep them at neutral so the fronts sound the same as the other speakers. Other than volume for each channel, there appears to be zero flexibility in adjusting the sound.....if you don't like it, tough [​IMG] Typically we can't here the lows and highs at low volumes so it sounds muffled unless I turn it up good. Trouble is I'm currently in an apartment and constantly have to be on the volume.

Are other receivers like this to or are there some that allow tone controls to adjust ALL channels???

thanks.

2. Daryl_hawk

Daryl_hawk Agent

Does anyone have comment or experience that they can share? I know the "experts" say that you are not supposed to really touch the tone controls but every room is different and speakers are different as well etc. It would be nice to have a little flexibility if needed.

Can anyone comment on if theirs does or doesn't?

thanks,
    Daryl.

3. PaulDA

PaulDA Cinematographer

Paul
    Although I'm one of those who doesn't touch his tone controls, I have played around when my friend (who loves the LOUDNESS button on his 22 yr old receiver) comes over and it seems to affect all channels. However, I've read a number of manuals for various receivers and the story seems to be the same as yours on all of them. I don't know why this is the case, but it seems to be a majority. I'm currently helping another friend with his HT purchase so I'll be investigating a number of receivers in the next few weeks. If I find one that says tone controls are active on all channels (I'll check what my manual says--never bothered to verify), I'll post back.

4. Nathan Stohler

Nathan Stohler Second Unit

My understanding was that treble/bass controls typically only affect the L/R channels, but things like loudness affect all channels. And in your case Daryl, if your receiver has a loudness control, that might be what you need.

5. Daryl_hawk

Daryl_hawk Agent

Paul - that would be cool if you could post what you find.

Nathan - Unfortunately mine does not have a loudness control. However, I have tested a marantz 9300 that a friend has and an Onkyo (model????) and on both the tone controls affected the center channel as well. I never thought to check the rear channels as I just assumed it would affect all if the center was affected in addition to the L/R.....but I really should have tested that too to be sure.