What's new

Tom's Hardware: HD DVD wins, Blu-Ray loses! (1 Viewer)

jervis961

Agent
Real Name
Cy Jervis
The PS3 is a cheap Bluray player if you own a tv that can accept the correct signals otherwise it is all 480p.:angry: This is another reason the XBOX 360 HD-DVD add on player is doing so well because the system has a scaler built in. :cool: I am very happy with my HD-DVD and see no advantages to Bluray over it.

Flemming.K

Stunt Coordinator
How come I feel people are a little bit subjective, when it comes to HD-DVD and Blu-Ray? Obviously many who owns an X-box 360 or PS3 have to either say or hear from others quite often, that "the other console" is a bad machine, obviously to reaffirm themselves, that they did make the right buy and to get others to make the same choice.

Bottomline, it is B.S!

Both consoles gets excellent reviews, also for the movie experience. XBox are earning itself due to low production costs, while PS3 will be about 200$ cheaper than its cost price, due to excellent quality build and Sony want to gain marketshares.

That is the lowdown in a nutshell. Whatever dayly insults are flying around about these consoles you'll have to deal with it, cause neither one will be dead in two years. Sure, one will maybe have 60% of the market and the other 40%. The bad part is you want to own movies, that are only available on either HD-DVD or Blu-Ray. So you better start hoping for them universal players to come out, cause both players are excellent and both are backed by huge consortiums.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann

I do not believe any one in the thread (or the link for that matter) is calling either the PS3 or the XBox 360 a bad console, but are critical of Sony's mis-steps and blunders over the last six months. The BD manufactures and content suppliers have been banking on Son'y original 2 Million numbers and have watched that cut down to 1 million, and now, it is very much looking like 500,000 PS3's will be a stretch for the holiday.

This in no way discounts the PS3's potential, but points the finger directly and the PS3 marketing group.

Watching the sales numbers, with the expectation that any PS3 or WII that hits the sales floor will sell, the big winner has been, and will probably continue to be the XBox, who sales numbers this season have been very good, and will continue to shine as long as the PS3, and to a lesser extent, the WII do not have adaquate supply to meet demand.

Ryan-G

Supporting Actor

A little too early to say those things for certain. Especially since Sony's got games that were exclusives suddenly announcing 360/PC support, and Grand Turismo HD has now been cancelled.

A console's success is determined by games, but if the 360 has exclusives, and the PS3's library is mostly available on the 360, the PS3 wouldn't be a good investment.

There's really no evidence at this point that PS3, with it's ultra-high price tag and eroding library, has legs. All they've done is sold ~250,000 units to the ultra-hardcore games(More likely the E-bayer in truth). The fact that the vast majority of people interviewed during the launch events were talking about E-bay, and not the games, says volumes about the public perception of the PS3. People lined up for PS2 because they wanted to own and play one, people lined up for PS3 to E-bay it. IIRC the first PS3 sold was to a chinese homeless man who was hired to wait in line by an E-bayer was it not?

Uni players are coming though, too many big names working on it. Even Broadcom is looking into making it happen.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Yeah but the PS3s being sold on eBay are going to people who want to own and play it. That doesn't mean that the system is going to last but the eBay ones are just taking a detour before getting into the hands of gamers.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint

I hope it's more excellent than the PS2's build quality. I went through three of them in as many years before quitting Sony products forever. Meanwhile, my circa 1982 Atari 2600 still works.

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member

And if that's the criteria then in my estimation the Wii is the best gaming machine out there. It may not be have as "purty pictures" but it sure as heck has some very entertaining and innovating player involvement. To me, this is the PSP/DS battle all over again (I own both). The PSP has superior technical capabilities but the vast majority of the DS's games are far more entertaining to me. I'd say (conservatively) that I use the DS 20 times more often than my PSP.

With the PS3 versus the XBox360 the gameplay will be mostly a wash once the PS3 gets off the ground (the Xbox360 has a year's head start.) I have an XBox360 since Day One (and also an HD-DVD add-on) and I'll also eventually have a PS3 when they become available at retail and not the ridiculous price some people are asking on EBay. And I'll probably use both for viewing HD media. It's going to be a long time before any winner is declared in the HD/BR format wars. Remember, technological superiority does not guarantee success.

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member

Brian,

What would you propose a fairer wording for this thread title might be? I have no problem making the title less confrontational and a little more indicative of the spirit of the article. Come up with something better and I'll edit the title.

[moderator's cap]Speaking of "confrontational": A lot of members here have picked up on the fact that certain zealots of both formats are, once again, clogging the airwaves with bashing the "other" guy. This is getting old very quickly and the moderating staff is fully aware of (and watching) this thread. Don't be too surprised if a couple of heads may be rolling (regardless of favorite format) if some of this behavior continues. It is my understanding that warnings have been issued and action will be taken if the discussion doesn't keep within forum boundaries. Despite what some might believe, this forum does not favor one format over the other and the rules will be applied equally to any offenders in either camp. [/moderator's cap]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks