What's new

Tommy: SACD or DVD-A (1 Viewer)

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
His use of words in that review have somehow brought up the notion that he is "one of those SACD haters" or that "he doesn't know how to review the two formats equally", but in the many SACD reviews I have read from him over the years he has voiced quite an affection for the format, in fact in another review he stated that the SACD version of Elton John's Goodbye Yellow Brick Road was superior to the DVD-A version.

Don't jump to conclusions regarding the reviewer just because you may disagree with his opinion or might find his description incomplete. As I said, my impression from reading his reviews was not that he was biased towards one format or the other, just that he preferred the DVD-A version of this particular album......man, I'm glad I didn't mention the name Lucas for fear of bringing those two camps out of the walls......DOH!

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
All I know is that the stereo of Tommy was a strong effort and analog tape to DSD and it sounds terrific. Goodbye Yellow Brick Road is also excellent.

Super Audio and its underlying DSD sound analog because of the high sampling rate, accurate recreation of the waveform, and simpler playback chain.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
I picked up the SACD and really enjoy the 5.1 mix but was wondering about the rest of the who catalog. Who's Next is a temptation but hard to find and very expensive considering I already bought it twice before. Anyone have this one?
Are they putting out the rest of the who in SACD? I would love to hear Quadrophenia in 5.1 or 4.1 considering I believe it was originally put out in Quad way back when.

I was at Amoemba Records yesterday and noticed the $35.99 pricetag for Elton's GYBR which I got for $5.99 from yourmusic.com YYYOEEWWWIE what a markup!

PaulT

Supporting Actor

I don't believe they can find the original Master Tapes for Who's Next so getting a surround version would be very much a long shot. I'd line up for it and pay whatever price as it is my favorite Who album.
Baba O'Riley, Won't get Fooled Again and Behind Blue Eyes in 5.1 would be awesome.

As far as the SACD/DVD-A goes, I prefer DVD-A but buy whatever I can find when I want the album.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman

Hey, I have a 563a and didn't know anything about the firmware upgrade! (Of course, that may be because I have the SACD -- although my DVD-A of In Absentia works just fine.)

I'll have to check that out. . .

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman

The review there implies that the 2-disc Deluxe Edition uses the same masters. . .is it an inferior mix to the linked budget disc?

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Actually... So the Canadian budget version is the best followed closely by the 2 CD deluxe version. (I like all the extra tracks, myself. Live at the Red Vic.)

I'm accidentally lucky in that I already have the Canadian Meat, Beaty, Big, and Bouncy too! ;)

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
The Deluxe edition is the same mix, but different mastering. Steve Hoffman (excuse me, the great Steve Hoffman!) mastered the Canadian disc. If you're picking up one or two other items to help defray the base shipping costs, the Hoffman-mastered Canadian disc is an absolute bargain.

I'm nice to the neighbors in my building - at least I don't play super loud music super late - but the only volume complaint I've ever gotten had to do with this disc. I was shocked- I had no idea it was that much louder than usual! It's one of those masterings that sounds so good that you just keep nosing the volume knob up and up and up and it doesn't sound shrill or harsh but just better and better and better until all of a sudden you can just barely make out the sound of someone pounding on your front door...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks