TOMMY:remastered.....my opinion

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by kevin_tomb, Apr 7, 2002.

1. kevin_tomb

kevin_tomb Stunt Coordinator

Just got the TOMMY remaster. Havent really listened to it more than a few times yet, but have a good idea of how it sounds now. Realizing it is taken from the original session tapes (didnt realize the master was burnt)lead me to believe it would sound different but good. Well to me it sounds very clear and bright. I heard some instuments in a way I never did with the record which was my only other version up till this week. I have avoided the old CD cause I heard it was taken from a several generation old copy of the master and was very bad sounding. As far as doing a LP to CD comparison, I wont do that. There are just too many variables beyond turntable etc. I prefer to judge a CD on its own merits and dont think theres even a point in comparing to an LP.

Well bass wise the CD is a bit better. But thats to be expected with a CD, cause there is not low filtering to save groove space. What really got me is how clean it sounded, cymbals and vocals etc. Of course they applied noise reduction to remove most noise. The noise reduction is a 2 sided sword. Sure its very quiet and really cool to hear an old recording without all the hiss etc, but I wonder how much of the low level ambience etc is lost, even if its just barely noticable and maybe mostly something that not noticed audibly but in ones mind. The other thing I noticed is the recording is VERY LOUD. Im not sure if its cause of limiting or compression but it gave it a very powerful sound at first listen, but now its making me think its a bit TOO loud. If it isnt compressed no problem, if it is im kinda upset. I hate when they change the dynamics for no reason other than to make it LOUD. Well all in all very good sounding but I want some imput as to what you guys think about it....just wondering.....

Have fun listening....

Kevin

2. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    Are we talking about the 1969 Who LP, the 1972 London Symphony Orchestra Version (which could stand for a remastering, but I don't think has received one yet) or the soundtrack to the 1975 Ken Russel film which was just released last month?

I'm assuming the latter.

Regards,

3. kevin_tomb

THe only really good one: THe original 1969 WHO version. [​IMG]

4. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    is this the remasterred version thAt was put out years ago on 1 cd or another remeastered versionthat has been released very recently?

5. Dan B

Dan B Screenwriter

Kevin,
    I recommend checking out WhiteFang's Who Site hosted at The Who.net.
    Here is a direct link to his comparison/opinion on the different versions of Tommy:
    List of different versions & artwork.
    Comments & opinions.
    My personal opinion is that the remaster sounds pretty nice, and I prefer it to the other versions I've heard. The mix is slightly different at times & there may be a bit more echo here and there, but the overall fidelity of the remastered version makes it the one to have.
    -Dan B

6. kevin_tomb

TONYD; Im talking about the remaster that was done 1996. Listened to it a bit more and am gonna change my thoughts on it being too loud or compressed. Just something about listening late night that makes it sound different. Goes to show ya your mood even plays into the sound quality of a recording...[​IMG] [​IMG]