What's new

Tombstone appreciation thread! (1 Viewer)

LennyP

Supporting Actor
*looking for an excuse*
OH man, now this means I gotta finaly get that 2disc Vista? Argh. :D

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Jeff:

I think Tombstone is terrific, but quite far from the best western I've seen. I think Unforgiven, The Wild Bunch, a couple of the 'spaghetti westerns' and others are better films, and I'd encourage you to check them out.

Val Kilmer's performance in this film astonishes me every time I watch it again.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Tombstone is awesome. Can't say it's the best ever though but still terrific! There are some older westerns that I still love like:
Shane
The Outlaw Josey Wales
and more modern ones like:
Silverado
Tombstone
Tombstone never disappoints whenever I see it. Great screenplay, acting and direction. :emoji_thumbsup:

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Tombstone is one of the better modern westerns, but I still like the Sergio Leone/Eastwood sphagetti westerns better. There is just something about the way Leone put together the imagery and the music, that I really enjoy. "The Good,The Bad, and The Ugly", along with "the man with no name series", are some of the best westerns I have seen.

"The Wild Bunch" is pretty good too. I wish Warner would redo that disc and put out an anamorphic transfer.

I've never cared much for John Wayne's westerns, but "The Shootist" was an exception. I thought that film was one of the best, if not the best, he ever did.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
The best western starring Kurt Russell and Val Kilmer ever made!
George Cosmatos best western ever made in 1993!
Some of the most impressive (and scariest) mustaches ever seen on film!
The most effective utterance of the line "You tell 'em I'm coming! And HELL is coming with me!" in any film to date!
The most quotable western in the history of film!
Val Kilmer has never been better! Forget Batman, forever!
See Kurt Russell bitchslap Billy Bob Thornton!
See the long awaited showdown between Val Kilmer and Michael Biehn!
See Bill Paxton in a western! Game over man, game over!;)
ps. One of my favorite westerns! :)

Mark Barnhill

Stunt Coordinator
I have to admit, I had not seen this movie until the night before last. I was totally blown away. It was hands down the best movie I've seen in a while. While I was impressed by the performances of all the actors,(with the exception of Heston), Val Kilmer was Awesome. I had never really noticed him being exceptional in anything before, but I'm a believer now. He nailed it in this one.
I never would have watched this one if not for the Vista Series, as the original release was not anamorphic. I do appreciate this release.

Trevor H

Second Unit
For me it is a tie for favorite western between Tombstone and Unforgiven, Tombstone is funner to watch though,

"Why Kate, You're not wearing a bustle, How lewd."

David Hicks

Stunt Coordinator
By far my favorite western and easily in my top ten movies of all time. For those who enjoyed Val Kilmer in this, check out The Salton Sea. Totally different movie, but another great Kilmer performance.

MichaelW

Stunt Coordinator
This movie is the source of one of my most vivid movie-going memories ever...

My brother and I are sitting there watching the movie in a large Houston theater, Kurt Russell says "You tell 'em I'm coming! And HELL is coming with me!"

My brother, out of the blue and totally uncharacteristically yells, "YEAHHHHHH!"

The entire theater erupts with applause and screams. To date, I've still never seen anything like it happen again in a movie theater.

Alex-C

Screenwriter
The guy who played Ike Turner was really convincing too...I love all of his scenes.

"And I don't take lip from no bartender neither."

DaveGR

Stunt Coordinator
Hmm,,
Tombstone isnt bad,,its decent,but I like Digornos,,it has the rising crust,,its pretty tasty, Tombstone is cheap,so thats a plus and its a decent pie, Red Baron isnt bad either. Alot of these companys have come along way over the years,,theyve gotten alot better,including tombstone,I remember them not being good,,but now,,pretty good, thats just me though,,purely my opinion,,my FAV is Peperoni. Good stuff,,About time someone get a great thread going about the highly under rated pizza that is Tombstone. Thumbs up

DaveGR

Stunt Coordinator
Alas I have posted without reading exactly what the thread was about or what it meant.
I indeed liked Tombstone the FILM as well. It was a bit cooky at times,but Val Kilmer helps it along quite a bit. "Im your Huckleberry".
good times

John^Lal

Stunt Coordinator
Man, Henry Fonda was so awesome as Wyatt Earp. And so was Victor Mature as Doc Holliday, though he wasn't given the chance to have a more hearty role dying of tuberculosis rather than being shot and killed. John Ford's direction was great, making the film what it is...
wait a second, this thread is about Tombstone, with Val Kilmer and Kurt Russell :laugh: that movie sucked.
I love it when they show people riding on horses shooting arbitrarily. not. :thumbsdown:

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
I love it when they show people riding on horses shooting arbitrarily. not.
You accidently left the word 'not' at the end of your sentence, otherwise I agree with that. I like it too when they show people shooting arbitrarily in westerns, every western ever made has that, its exciting, but horses never seem to get shot, bullets seem to zing around them.
ps. My favorite Wyatt Earp western is still 'Gunfight at the OK Corral', Burt Lancaster as Wyatt Earp and Kirk Douglas as Doc Holliday, great film, lots of arbitrary shootings in that too, if I recall.:D
For a good snooze watch Kevin Costner's 'Wyatt Earp', which lasts about 5 hours and for me only noteworthy for Dennis Quaid's Doc Holliday and James Newton Howards score.

John^Lal

Stunt Coordinator
ok, sorry about what i said, i'll correct myself...arbitrary shooting going on for 60 seconds+ without showing any bad guys. if it has happened in other westerns..i haven't seen it, and if it has, i doubt it was done as badly as it was in tombstone

John Stone

Supporting Actor
I'm not a fan of the genre, but I really love "Tombstone". As for my favorite, "Tombstone" is right up there, but I'd have to give the favorite nod to "Unforgiven".
I've been disappointed with Vista releases in general. Not enough extras, and the ringing on "Tombstone" is terrible and distracting. Same deal on the Vista release of "Unbreakable". :frowning:
This is a "Tombstone" appreciation thread. Go away if you feel like farting.

Marshall Alsup

Second Unit
Although I've already commented in this thread, after watching Tombstone again last night, I feel I must comment again.
Man, this flick is fantastic. I think its my favorite western ever. I love Unforgiven, but Tombstone is just far more watchable for me. I think my favorite parts are the scenes with both Ringo and Doc. I also really like Doc's loyalty and devotion to Wyatt. Fantastic movie!!

-Marshall

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
Yes it is fantastic. What I like about this movie is you don't have to be a fan of the western genre to enjoy this movie. And I also agree with you again about the best parts of the movie are the encounters between Doc & Ringo. There first encounter in the bar was awesome. "He reminds me of, me, Oh how I really hate him."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks