What's new

Tombstone appreciation thread! (1 Viewer)

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
First of all, I wanted to respond to Ronald Epsteins thread regarding the very professional and utmost respect shown to all Forum members. I have been a member of this forum for a very long time and have interacted with many other people on this forum. I have been so impressed with the type of people I have talked to here and their opinions have influenced me very much. So thank you very much for a very professionally ran website. I have visiited alot of different sites and none have come close to the caliber of this site. Anyway, I just got done watching Tombstone for the 25th time or more and have to say that I cannot come up with another drama/western film that comes even close. And beleive me, I have alot of western dvd's in my collection. Every performance put in on this film is absolutely top notch. The first that stands out is Val Kilmer as Doc Holliday. Has there been anymore of such a bad ass,intimidating smart allick character as him? No way. I cannot get over the quality of this film. The Vista Series was so much appreciated by myself. I watch this movie over and over again. Thank you George Cosmatos for such a deep engrossing film. And I especially appreciate the new Vista Series Edition. Kudos. This film is seriosly contending for my most favorite movie of all time, Scarface.

Marshall Alsup

Second Unit
Jeff, I feel the same way man. This is a GREAT flick! I love everything about it. I don't yet have the Vista Series but its at the top of the list!
I've got two guns, one for each of ya :D
-Marshall

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
I love the film too. I bought the first DVD, and then I picked up the remastered one. :emoji_thumbsup:
Hmm, how do you pronounce apprecitarion? :laugh:

Mike Graham

Supporting Actor
Tombstone is easily one of the best American Westerns. I'm not even a fan of the genre, but when I heard there was a Vista Series DVD coming out, I picked it up first chance I got. Kurt Russell and Val Kilmer turn in some of their best work here, along with many of the other actors.
The opening sequence with Michael Biehn's monologue about his prediction from the Bible concerning their fate after killing off an entire wedding party sets the tone perfectly.
I would highly recommend this one to people who aren't fans of the genre, like me, as I think they'll be pleasantly surprised. :emoji_thumbsup:

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
"And you music lover, you're next" There are so many great lines in this film. Yeah, Max, I bought the original dvd when it first came out. It drove me crazy waiting such a long time for them to release a remastered edition. The first one was not that great as far as sound and picture quality but this Vista series one is reference quality. I also agree with you Mike, when I saw this movie at the theatre years ago, I was not a big fan of western movies but I loved this film. "Say when" :)

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
I just looked at the topic of my thread. I can't beleive that nobody has given me a hard time for spelling "appreciation" wrong. Man I feel so illiterate. I just get to typing so fast and sometimes I do not check what I have just typed. Oh well, I got my point across about the movie anyway. ;)

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter
Easily one of my favorites. Kurt Russel ws great as the tough as nails Wyatt Earp, and Val Kilmer was just awesome as Doc Hlooiday. This movie's your huckleberry.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Jeff thats the worst spelling of apricot ever!;)
I'm with ya. Tombstone is one of my favorite westerns of the past 20 years, far more enjoyable than Kevin Costner's dull epic 'Wyatt Earp' which popped up about the same time and disappeared fast.
Full of quotable lines and Val Kilmer has never been better, ever!
"You tell him I'm coming! And hell's coming with me!!"

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
I've never seen Texas Rangers or American Outlaws, but I think it's safe to say that there hasn't been a decent western since Tombstone.

It's probably one of my favorite Westerns I've ever seen. I'd rank it up there with the Spaghetti Westerns of Sergio Leone.

Jarrod_L

Stunt Coordinator
**get's that glazed-over look in his eyes**

"Alright, lunger....let's do it!"

Definitely one of the best westerns I've ever seen...and the most quotable too!!!

Michael Martin

Screenwriter
Count me in as a huge fan of the film. Kurt Russell was perfectly cast, and Kilmer does a bang-up job as Doc.
What is amazing is not how much they got wrong (had to compress for the time allotted and the usual Hollywood plot idiocies), but how much they got right.
And I for one have NO problems watching Dana Delaney in anything. Watching her in nothing at all is preferable, of course. ;)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I'll get in on the love fest...
Despite some of the worst ringing I've seen on a "re-release Special Edition DVD" (second only to Stargate), this movie still shines (literally and figuratively) ;)
I love this movie and the actors, director, heck basically everyone nailed it perfectly. This is one of my favorite movies regardless of genre, and among Westerns I rank it up there with The Good, The Bad & The Ugly (which I consider one of my top 10 favorites of all time).
:emoji_thumbsup::emoji_thumbsup:

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
Carlo, can you explain to me what you mean by ringing? And you are right. Everbody in the entire film nailed the role. And I can say that every actor put in the best performance oh their career. Well except for Bill Paxton, he was damn good in Frailty. Even Billy Zane and Jason Priestly were excellent. I wanted to bring something up that I caught last night that I always wondered about. It's minor and I never really paid attention to it, but at the begging when the Cowboys shoot up the Mexican police, I always wondered what Johnny Ringo was standing on an hopped off of after the fight. It was that water fountain. I always noticed that he was higher than everyone else and that he hopped down after the fight but never knew what it was.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Hi Jeff, I'm referring to the ringing that most people attribute to edge enhancement (using it as a catchall phrase). Whether this ringing is due to EE or MPEG encoder processes, or whatever, they are pretty bad in Tombstone.
Check out Bjoern's Guide to EE for an explanation. Basically if you have an HDTV (ISF calibrated ideally) or a computer monitor where you can watch high-quality display of DVDs, pause any scene where there is a dark/light border on Tombstone. You will most likely see haloing/ringing on the dark to light edge.
This movie deserved a better transfer.

Jeremy_Watson

Stunt Coordinator
I was thrilled to see this topic. I have never been a fan of Westerns (been meaning to see Sergio Leon's again now that I'm older), but I love this movie. For years I just had the VHS, which was decent for getting the great story and better quotes. But once I saw they were releasing the Vista Series DVD I had to pick it up. During even the first scene I was amazed at how beautifully shot this movie was, just wonderfully cinematography.
I also agree that this was, without a doubt, the highlight of Val Kilmer's career.

Turkey Creek: "Friend? Hell, I gots lots of friends."
Doc: "I don't."

Tony_Faville

Supporting Actor
Everyone in that movie was at the top of their game....the best cowboy movie I have ever seen and I have seen it 50+ times.

"That's okay, I got two guns, one for each of ya!"

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rekhasharmatdiu
Recent bookmarks