Tombstone 2 Disc Set

Discussion in 'DVD' started by ChuckSolo, Mar 3, 2004.

1. ChuckSolo

ChuckSolo Screenwriter

I have a copy of the "Tombstone" 2 disc set which comes in the folding case like the "Alien Quadilogy" and noticed something when I played it last night and watched it on my new 40" RCA RPHDTV. When the movie was playing, I noticed that whenever a character was wearing a black hat or coatI coiuld see artifacting around the hat or coat. This was not evident when I watched it on my 36" Panny analog TV. I am wondering if the regular version of this movie has the same issues. Just to make sure it wasn't the TV I played a couple of other movies, "Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines" and "2 Fast 2 Furious" and could not see any artifacting at all. Anybody else have this disc set and noticed this problem?

2. Dave H

Dave H Producer

This DVD has lots of edge enhancement.

3. Andy_MT

Andy_MT Second Unit

and that's the main reason why i've yet to upgrade from the first release. if a studio isn't going to do a re-release properly, they're not getting my money.

4. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

From DVDfiles review.........

"Tombstone has received a brand new, THX-certified anamorphic widescreen transfer that is presented at approximately 2.35:1. Two things are immediately apparent upon watching the opening scene : 1) that the new transfer is head and shoulders improved over the previous non-anamorphic widescreen DVD, revealing a much sharper, more detailed and three-dimensional image, but 2) this new transfer is waaaay too sharp, showing the grossest amount of edge enhancement I've seen in recent memory. This DVD is a real black eye for the folks at THX, who have apparently approved this new transfer in spite of the fact that nearly every scene contains an obscene amount of hard white "halos" on virtually every horizontal and vertical line or "edge" in the picture. I was constantly distracted by the presence of these artifacts, which are the worst I have seen yet on any DVD. How can THX possibly find this outrageous amount of edge enhancement artifacts acceptable? I actually feel sorry for Buena Vista, who has probably paid THX a lot of money to help them produce what is a seriously flawed video transfer.

On the plus side, the blacks are exceptionally deep, yet never crush any shadow detail, and the colors are spectacularly saturated but pure. While very detailed, the image also looks overly "hard" and digital, and less like film than most. While background detail appears solid with practically no pixelization, the overall image is like a TV with the sharpness control cranked way too high- real detail is obscured by the excessive amount of halos and ringing artifacts. While this transfer is obviously way too much of a good thing with respect to the sharpness f the image, it is still better than the original non-anamorphic widescreen DVD, which appeared sourced from the laserdisc master. It's just a shame because it appears that this new DVD could have been better still than it is."

This review stopped me from picking up the 2 Disc VS of this film.

5. Greg_C_T

Greg_C_T Second Unit

Awful EE, plus lackluster "extras" for a 2-disc Vista Series title equals a disappointing release for such a classic Western. [​IMG]

6. Dave H

Dave H Producer

The transfer looks pretty good minus the EE on my ISF'd 61" display. The 5.1 track is even better. Overall, it's definitely a significant improvement over the original. If you like this movie, I recommended buying it. No, it's not reference quality, but that doesn't stop me from buying a movie I enjoy as long as it's OAR.

7. ChuckSolo

ChuckSolo Screenwriter

Well, I'm glad to know that it isn't my TV. The bummer is I really like this film, but like one of the other posters, the EE is definately distracting. Oh well, I will learn to live with it.[​IMG]

8. Dave Kalloch

Dave Kalloch Stunt Coordinator

Anyone else having having trouble playing this on the Panasonic RP56? Mine played once-the first time-now it can't seem to read the disc.

9. JoshB

JoshB Supporting Actor

Joshua Bal
    I still enjoy the film nonetheless. I was hesitant when I first bought it. I heard some good things about the film, and reviews of the Vista title said the audio was good, it had some decent features, but that the transfer left something to be desired.

I didn't notice much of a problem on my 27in Wega, but I know it is more apparent on larger screens. Still, its a great film and worth buying if you are a fan of westerns. I like the performances (Val Kilmer's best IMO) and the shootout is well done, but has since been passed over by Open Range's spectacular gunfight, perhaps the best ever to grace a western and one of the best Hollywood has put out in years.

10. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

The Vista Series transfer has a few faults but is far superior to the original non-anamorphic release which was downright bad, almost as bad as the original release of Costner's Robin Hood or the Mel Gibson/Jody Foster Maverick.