What's new

Tombraider DVD Featuring DTS 96/24- (1 Viewer)

HenrikTull

Second Unit
Seeing who Paramount hasn't re -released a single DVD yet and has neither to release a single DVD with DTS audio... sure! :D

Randy B A

Supporting Actor
top gun and titanic would be a perfect place to start on both accounts.
re-issue in 16x9 W.S. with DTS ES. A guy can wish can't he? :D

Mitch Stevens

Supporting Actor
Hey, does anyone remember way back when "Tomb Raider" first came out, the director said how he'd like to release several versions of the film on DVD?

Theatrical Cut

Director's Cut

(etc.)

I believe he said that he wanted about 3-4 different versions of the film on DVD.

Eric F

Screenwriter
It's interesting that it's DTS 96/24. That eats into the video track.

What decoders support it? I have one DVD-A with a 96/24 track and all the DVD software I have see it as a standard 48k disc. I was hoping that WinDVD4 would support it, but apparently not.

Iain Jackson

Second Unit
I just read a review for a new Pioneer amp that supports DTS 96/24 (the first of its kind in the UK).

And as for the 96/24 track eating up video space, it shouldn't be that big a problem, as that Italian release is on 2 discs (look at the cover image - it says 2 DVD).

Eric F

Screenwriter
Well, I think most of us aren't going to invest in a new decoder for DTS 96/24 right away, and DTS has really clouded the issue with this new format.

I can't tell you how many fairly educated audio people I spoke to thought that DTS 96/24 would be able to be decoded on current equipment. (myself included) DTS put out vague statements to that effect. I don't really see what the point of another lossy audio format for DVD is anyways? It really won't be used that often, especially since it takes up so much space. I think many of us would just be happy with full bitrate DTS discs instead of having to upgrade our current receivers.

That said, it should be a relatively simple thing to implement in current software decoders. I'm not sure why they haven't done it yet. I'd hook my soundcard up to my discrete inputs just to check it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kp100
Recent bookmarks