What's new

Tomb Raider publicity photo (1 Viewer)

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
tombraider_ad.jpg

Not bad. Thanks for the scoop.
But one thing that bothers me:
Why do the WORST movies get the sweetest DVD treatments? There's no way I'll be buying this one or Pearl Harbor. No amount of special features could improve these films.
As Robert Prosky so eloquently stated in John Carpenter's Christine:
"You can't polish a turd."
:)
------------------
Scott
Check out my Movie Reviews at Epinions. Help support my debilitating DVD addiction!
AOL IM: TheAngryJew29
[Edited last by Scott Weinberg on August 19, 2001 at 10:50 AM]

Quint van der Vaart

Second Unit
Well that's a personal opinion Scott.
I for one loved Tomb Raider and Pearl Harbor and I will be
buying both of them only if it's just to use as demo-discs.
As for the extra's bit, well what can I say.
Studio's try to push the movie again by doing very nice
SE on DVD so that they will sell good.
All I can say is bring them on !!!
drool.gif

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
It's all about sales.
I'm sure there are many who'll purchase TombRaider and Pearl Harbor on DVD because of the stellar treatment it recieved and all the extras included - even though they didn't necessarily love the films.

Joel C

Screenwriter
I have to admit, I am looking at the Pearl Harbor set (but then, I didn't see that one in the theater).
OTOH, I DID see TR in the theater, and it will not be sitting on my shelf, as it left me profoundly dissapointed. But I'm glad to see Paramount is going all out on the disc.
------------------
Joel
[email protected]
"I've been very lonely in my isolated tower of indecipherable speech."
digitallyOBSESSED

Tim Kline

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim Kline
I didn't even see Tomb Raider or Pearl Harbor, yet I'm planning to buy both (Well I'm gonna get the directors cut of PH). Even if the movie isn't all that great they're still 2 titles that I want in my collection just cuz they look cool and all that stuff. If I buy it, and I really REALLY don't like it, I just go to half.com and sell it there and end up losing maybe $3 .. about the price of a rental :) So, this is my rent-to-own way of buying DVDs :) But, I still just get ones that I really think I'm gonna like. I'd say half the movies I have are ones I bought without seeing first, and I just went on what I heard about them and stuff.
------------------
Tim Kline
HT Newbie Extraordinaire!
[email protected]
Link Removed
My DVD List
Link Removed

Derrik Draven

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
I didn't see either, either.
I'm more interested in seeing Tomb Raider than Pearl since I played Tomb Raider on the original Playstation the week it came out. Killer game! Tomb RaiderII was pretty good too but, got burned out an skipped TR3. Played TR4 on the Dreamcast and liked it pretty well too.
SO...all the reviews of the movie I read, by game players like myself, all said that Angolina was incredible but the movie still sucked ass.
That's a real bummer. No critics changed my mind, but fellow players of the game did.
Has anyone here played the actual games? If so, what exactly about the movie sucked? Was it stupid? Cheesy lines? Poor acting? Boring????
Curious to know why it ended up being a summer dud. It looked so promising and Angolina IS Lara Croft.
------------------
"...it is an excellent day for an exorcism".

Tom Ryan

Screenwriter
Derrik, I played the original Tomb Raider way back in the day on the Saturn and I loved it. This is why I went to see the film. The film is horrible because it's basically the same as the game, but with no interactivity. The plot is pretty inane, and the action is boring and uninspiring. This is probably the worst movie I saw over the summer. Tomb Raider was fun because you got to surmount the challenges yourself, and it loses its interest on the big screen.
-Tom

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
The movie is just like the game: the action focuses on Lara Croft running a lot while things blow up. The plot just acts as a reason for her to run and shoot stuff.
I liked the movie because it was actually close to the style of the series. The games never had complex or detailed plots.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks