Tomb Raider: exciting soundtrac

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian Fineberg, Nov 5, 2001.

1. Brian Fineberg

Brian Fineberg Second Unit

Well, I picked this one up today and found the sound to be extremly aggresive. The seperation is wonderful with very active surrounds. The low end was good but nothing to shake a stick at SW:TPM (but what will ever?). The movie is not that bad and the sound just makes it that much better. I haven't finnished watching it so I will write more on the features and others later. Just figured I would give poepl a heads up. If you liked the movie I would DEFINATLY buy it. If you thought it was ok I would still buy it for the sound. If you didn't see it well then that depends on weather you buy your movis just fro sound and action as opposed to script quality.
    enjoy!!
    -B

2. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

Wasn't there a picture of the coverart somewhere, that was all black with Tomb Raider written in gold or something like that?

3. Brian Fineberg

The cover is blue with silver writing with Laura on the front . It has "special collector's Edition" in gold.
    -B

4. Matt Wooten

Matt Wooten Second Unit

man WHERE did you get this so early???!!! to me Tomb Raider left me with the good summer movie feeling after i saw it. it actually was the only one this summer that i just really enjoyed.. well next to Swordfish. with that being said.. where did you grab this thing? i thought this wasn't coming out til next week.

5. Brian Fineberg

There is a Mom And pop store near me that ALWAYS puts their stuff out as sson as they get it in. They know they break strret date but they sort of keep it hush hush. So hey if they want to risk getting caught I am just a consumer who happens to play dumb :)
    -B

6. Martin Blythe

Martin Blythe Second Unit

Gee Brian, breaking street date! Shame on you. However, something that I'd like to draw your attention to is the DVD-ROM section where there's access to an exclusive website where you can play games as you watch the movie (on a PC obviously). Check it out. No one's ever done this before (top third of the screen runs the movie; bottom two-thirds is reserved for gameplay as the movie unspools). Racing games, shooting games, puzzle games, etc etc. We're very proud of it.
    BUT: it won't be live till street date which is NOVEMBER 13....

7. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Tomb Raider was a pure summer action flick, which is why it was good at all. Can't wait for the DVD.

8. Luis A

Luis A Second Unit

I saw this Fri. night and I will say Tomb Raider is well mixed. However, it did seem to lack dynamic punch. It almost seemed, when there was an explosion or when Lara fired her guns, that the sound all of a sudden became compressed or muffuled. I found I had to turn it up even farther than when I watched Star Wars Ep.I. Like I said it was well mixed, each speaker had something coming out of it at one time or another, but no impact. I've noticed this with a few Paramount titles like Enemy at the Gates, Star Trek: First Contact, and Forrest Gump where there was no "oomph" so to speak.
    L

9. Jonathan_M

Jonathan_M Stunt Coordinator

Luis,
    I completely agree with you. The audio just did not seem to match the excitement on the screen. Things you thought should have sounded loud came up... short. Oh well.
    Jonathan [​IMG]
    ------------------
    "We're hosed. We lost the remote."