1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

UHD Review Tomb Raider (2018) UHD Review

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Todd Erwin, Jun 11, 2018.

1. Todd Erwin

Todd Erwin Producer
    Reviewer

Todd Erwin
    Todd Erwin

Tomb Raider (2018) UHD Review
    [​IMG]

Warner and MGM’s reboot of Tomb Raider arrives on 4K UHD Blu-ray with a stellar transfer, but the movie is seriously lacking in joy and humor.

[review]

Osato likes this.
  2. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    I missed this in theaters but my wife was able to see it - her reaction was very similar to yours, that it was technically well made but not as fun as it should have been. Seeing this wasn't a high priority for me but given her response and now your review, I don't feel bad about missing it anymore.

Osato and dpippel like this.
  3. Todd Erwin

Todd Erwin Producer
    Reviewer

Todd Erwin
    Yeah, my wife and I are glad we saw Black Panther instead of this, as those were our two choices for date night back in March.

Osato and Josh Steinberg like this.
  4. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Lead Actor

It's a disappointing movie. I didn't love the Jolie film, but it had some entertainment value, while this one's a bit of a chore to watch.

Also wasn't impressed by Vikander. She's undeniably talented but she lacked the charisma and strength the part needed.

She just seemed like a little girl too much of the time and wasn't convincing. Granted, I get this is an "origin story", but she felt too insubstantial and not as tough as needed.

It's funny to realize that Jolie was younger in 2001 than Vikander is now! Jolie seemed so much older and more mature as Croft than Vikander!

It's a stellar 4K UHD though - it looks stunning!

Osato likes this.
  5. Todd Erwin

Todd Erwin Producer
    Reviewer

Todd Erwin
    I have updated the section regarding Digital Copy after redeeming my code this morning. Must be UV due to MGM's involvement in the production.

Osato likes this.
  6. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Lead Actor
    Supporter

Let's see. The Jolie movies were basically panned as bad video game films and this one gets panned for actually being serious. The makers of video game movies can't win. They get panned for being stupid and too video game-like or panned for not being campy and stupid enough.