Tom/Ron - Questions on hookup of SVS+ & S1000 Amp

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Shawn Sefranek, Dec 28, 2001.

1. Shawn Sefranek

Shawn Sefranek Second Unit

I have a pair of SVS CS PLUS Subs on order with the Samson S1000 Amplifier.

I figured others may have these same questions, so I would ask them here instead of a private E-Mail.

My current system has (2) 20-39CS subs powered by a pair of Parasound HCA-1201A Mono Amps.

The Amps are sitting nearby the Subs with a short (2-3 foot) length of Monster XP-HP speaker wire.

When the new toys come, the S1000 Amp will probably be mounted in my system rack on the other side of the room which means about a 40-foot run to the Sub in the far corner.

Questions:

1) Will the Monster XP-HP wire, which I believe is 12-guage, be enough to handle 500+ Watts of signal from the Amp on a 40-foot run or should I run something heavier?

2) Do you recommend the use of a Surge Protector/Line Conditioner with the S1000?. My other (2) system Amps (Parasound HCA-2003A & B&K Video 5 Sonata) and other equipment are connected through a pair of Panamax 1000+ units. I’m near the 1,800 Watt A/C maximum for both units.

3) How HOT does the S1000 get and does it need good ventilation? The front of my built-in rack is open to the room, but closed on the sides and back.

4) I see the S1000 has a “hard” power switch and no trigger on/off. Must this switch be used or is it possible to power the Amp ON/OFF by use of an X10 switched outlet? Would this produce an undesired “thump” through the Subs?

Final question:

5) From the spec sheet I see that the S1000 is only 9.75” deep.

I have another spot I could put the Amp that is at the rear of the room on a small 11” deep shelf, but this would only be about 4-foot from my main seating position.

When the cooling fans come on would they be too distracting being this close to the seating area?

Thanks guys and I look forward to receiving my new toys in a few weeks.

I’m still having a hard time convincing myself that they are going to sound any better then the current 20-39’s I have, but I trust they will.

Shawn S

PS....If anyone has any observations from using this Amp with the SVS Ultra’s or other equipment, please post your findings here as well.

2. Shawn Sefranek

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

3. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

>>>I have a pair of SVS CS PLUS Subs on order with the Samson S1000 Amplifier.

I figured others may have these same questions, so I would ask them here instead of a private E-Mail.

My current system has (2) 20-39CS subs powered by a pair of Parasound HCA-1201A Mono Amps.

The Amps are sitting nearby the Subs with a short (2-3 foot) length of Monster XP-HP speaker wire.

When the new toys come, the S1000 Amp will probably be mounted in my system rack on the other side of the room which means about a 40-foot run to the Sub in the far corner.

Questions:

1) Will the Monster XP-HP wire, which I believe is 12-guage, be enough to handle 500+ Watts of signal from the Amp on a 40-foot run or should I run something heavier? >2) Do you recommend the use of a Surge Protector/Line Conditioner with the S1000?. My other (2) system Amps (Parasound HCA-2003A & B&K Video 5 Sonata) and other equipment are connected through a pair of Panamax 1000+ units. I’m near the 1,800 Watt A/C maximum for both units.>3) How HOT does the S1000 get and does it need good ventilation? The front of my built-in rack is open to the room, but closed on the sides and back. >>Final question:

5) From the spec sheet I see that the S1000 is only 9.75” deep.

I have another spot I could put the Amp that is at the rear of the room on a small 11” deep shelf, but this would only be about 4-foot from my main seating position.

When the cooling fans come on would they be too distracting being this close to the seating area?

4. Rick Radford

Rick Radford Supporting Actor

Shawn,

I have the Samson S700. Do not believe the dims as given either on the SVS site or Samson's site. I even called Samson to verify the dims.. and they INSISTED the dims as listed are correct. sheesh.

Fortunately, Tom or Ron measured the S700 for me and gave me the right dims. The dims as listed wouldn't have fit my rack.

RE: cooling. My S700 runs extremely COOL. Before I took the back of the rack off, I had about 4 inches behind and absolutely NO cooling problems at all. This is one cool running amp. I imagine the S1000 would be similar.

RE: thumps on power on. I've not experienced any thumps whether powering the S700 on before or after the receiver.

I used to leave it on all the time, but lately have been turning it off so the fans won't continue to circulate air and create additional dust build-up inside the amp. (or so my theory goes)

5. SVS-Ron

SVS-Ron Screenwriter

Rick,

Thanks for reminding me to fix the dimensions on our site. I started once and our authoring software locked up and I forgot to go back!

The measurements will be right tonight you can be sure of that!

I'll remind Samson of this failure again too. Trying to move a 600lb monkey on that one (vice the scrappy upstart at SVS).

My experiece witht he Samsons is this: Turn it on, calibrate, forget it. I NEVER turn mine off (in a back equipment room of my HT) and if it was two feet from my HT chair (it isn't but...) I couldn't hear it. The fans are practiclly inaudible and I've yet to find the Samsons get even mildly warm even in a tight rack.

Ron

6. Dave Barretto

Do you recommend the use of a Surge Protector/Line Conditioner with the S1000?. My other (2) system Amps (Parasound HCA-2003A & B&K Video 5 Sonata) and other equipment are connected through a pair of Panamax 1000+ units. I’m near the 1,800 Watt A/C maximum for both units
    Shawn: With your past experience of down power lines & surges it would be a cheap insurance plan. You may never have that problem again but you never know.
    PS: Take care of my SVS & Amp[​IMG]

7. SteveBjr

SteveBjr Stunt Coordinator

8. SVS-Ron

SVS-Ron Screenwriter

Steve,

I have no idea, I've only had mine on about a year.

Ron

9. SteveBjr

SteveBjr Stunt Coordinator

Hehe sounds pretty safe to me [​IMG]

10. Shawn Sefranek

Thanks for the answers to my questions and the dimensional info on the Samson.

If it really is 16” deep it definitely won’t fit on the rear shelf I spoke of.

I guess I will be going with my original idea of mounting it in my system rack with a LONG run of 12-gauge wire and I will experiment with the X-10 control.

Thanks all,

Shawn S

Dave Barretto said:

11. Doug_B

Doug_B Screenwriter

12. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer