Tom Petty!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Anthony Moore, Jun 13, 2002.

1. Anthony Moore

Anthony Moore Supporting Actor

Just got tickets on the floor, 3rd row center, for a concert in August...

Too bad I have to drive to Birmingham, AL for it though..

Anyone from there or been there? Is there anything to do in Birmingham?

2. Matt Stryker

Matt Stryker Screenwriter

There are some civil rights landmarks there, nothing super cool though. I would have thought the Atlanta show would be closer to you; Gainesville is only about 5.5 hours from ATL.

I saw him the last time he came through (the tour after the Echo release) and he absolutely kicked ass. I've seen quite a few older groups (CSN&Y, James Taylor, Willie Nelson) that seemed like they should probably go ahead and retire, but TP was absolutely fantastic. You'll have a great time.

Why isn't he coming to Gainesville?

3. Paul_Fisher

Paul_Fisher Screenwriter

4. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

You are not going to believe this, but I've actually ridden through Birmingham when doing a crosscountry motorcycle tour once. Pretty small for a place called a city. No offense, but nothing about Birmingham stood out. Huntsville, on the other hand, has much that appeals to somebody who's given to my interests--as in the Redstone Arsenal, as well as the Huntsville Space Museum (with a full-sized, real Saturn V launch vehicle lying on its side, its stages segmented.

The weather in the South: I don't know how you guys handle that humidity.

5. Anthony Moore

Anthony Moore Supporting Actor

Dont know why he's not coming to gainesville. He should.

Im goin to ALA cause I didnt get to ticketbastard.com in time for that Atlanta show.

I'll be in Alabama all weekend. Is there anything close at all to Birmingham thats even semi-cool to do?

6. Paul_Fisher

Paul_Fisher Screenwriter

If you like science stuff you can go the McWain Center, its like a science museum. But thats about all I can think of.

7. John Spencer

John Spencer Supporting Actor

If you like shooting things off the tops of rusted out vehicles, you should be able to occupy yourself for quite a while down there. Or if you like looking at butt-ugly city planning in action, you'll be in heaven. The city just sort of sprawls out like a beached squid.

8. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

"Sprawls" seems too strong, John--from what I remember the place is tiny. Not quite a small town, but not really a city either. Well, the nightlife may be lacking in that corner of the Deep South, but the scenery is awfully pretty from the perspective of a motorcyclist. Too bad there are no canyon roads.

9. John Spencer

John Spencer Supporting Actor

It is tiny, Jack, but there is no aesthetic to how the place went up. They just piled all this stuff into a little space, and it gives it a cluttered closet kind of look. And I agree, the scenery while riding can be very pretty. But then again, if you've ever ridden down I-40 from Jackson, TN to Nashville, you'd swear that you caught a glimpse of what the plains of Avernus must look like.

10. Paul_Fisher

Paul_Fisher Screenwriter

Its nothing compared to the loveliest village on the plains. I'm talking about Auburn of course, home of Auburn University.

11. Tom Rhea

Tom Rhea Second Unit