Tom & Jerry

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Douglas R, Nov 29, 2001.

1. Douglas R

Douglas R Cinematographer

Doug
    Warner Home Video may not be releasing any Looney Tunes or Merrie Melodies on DVD for a while but apparently they have announced Tom & Jerry's Greatest Chases in February for Region 2. I assume this will also be coming to Region 1. The early MGM Tom & Jerry cartoons were consistently superior to most of the Warner Bros product in my opinion.

2. Christian Preischl

Christian Preischl Screenwriter

Christian Preischl
    Hi,

that DVD has been out on R1 since 2000.

Also, it's already out in Germany, and unfortunately the short "The little orphan" is censored both on the US and the German disc. So the UK disc will probably be the same.

Chris

3. Scott_J

Scott_J Cinematographer

4. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

If you're in R2 and a Tom&Jerry fan, why not just pick up the Japanese boxes? I don't know if they're uncensored, but they're pretty cheap ($40 for around 40 cartoons, quality is excellent)

5. Mark Anthony

Mark Anthony Second Unit

Does anyone know if any of the T&J cartoons are likely to be released in the future (presumably by MGM) - obviously restored,uncut and in complete collection(s) in date order would be a must [​IMG] - Disney's mickey mouse set has shown what can be done....
    On a related note, perhaps any cartoon fans can help me - I remember a 'toon as a kid - it was a spooky cartoon in some kind of chemist's shop with lots of dancing bottles and evil looking alchemists bottles at - I'm sure it had a character in it, at one point who got trapped in the bottles and sifted round the pipes - I can't rememeber any more, - does anyone know what this is?
    Respects and a happy christmas to all
    M

6. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Well, these aren't the complete, in-order set you do want. But my wife, as a T&J fan, picked this one up when it first came out:
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00003JRAJ/qid=1009051161/sr=2-2/ref=sr_2_75_2/002-4642302-7039232
    It's not bad at all, even to a non-T&J fan like me. [​IMG] It even includes "The Worry Song from the motion picture Anchors Aweigh, showcasing Jerry's still-amazing dance with the great Gene Kelly".
    Also coming on March 12, 2002 is Tom and Jerry - The Movie and Tom & Jerry - The Magic Ring, for you T&J DVD pleasure convenience! [​IMG]

7. Daniel L

Daniel L Stunt Coordinator

Tom and Jerry are controlled no longer controlled by MGM, Warner has the distibution rights.

I'll never say never, but considering Warner's general attitude towards releasing animation on DVD, I think the odds are slim to none that we'll ever see Tom and Jerry released in complete, un-cencored, collections on DVD.

Looney Tunes seem to be more of a priority at Warner, and you know how little they seem to care about releasing those on DVD.

Daniel L

8. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    The reason for WB's lack of animated shorts on DVD is because they need to restore and remaster nearly 2000 cartoons.

They own all the theatrical Popeye cartoons (1933-1957), Warner Bros. Cartoons (1929-present), MGM (1930's to 1980's), and even all the Superman cartoons made in the 40's.

The cartoons owned by Turner have had their negatives untouched since the 1950's. The negs are in great shape, but what you see on TV are usually very old prints or digitally restored prints (DVNR).

Many 1948-1964 cartoons never owned by Turner have been restored, but it's a small percentage out of the 1000 general release cartoons (there's another 100+ of special shorts either novelty, government sponsored (snafu), and even scenes within movies.)

WB isn't the only studio that needs to restore/remaster their cartoons. Republic owns a truckload of Betty Boop, Max & Dave Fleischer cartoons, Terrytoons...

The only studios to release cartoons to DVD in more than one volume are Disney and Blackhawk (the own Ub Iwerks' cartoons along with many RKO toons)

Some on Paramount/Republic, Warners, Universal, and also Columbia (who recently had a ton of their cartoons restored), animation on DVD soon!

9. Mark Anthony

Mark Anthony Second Unit

Thanks for the info guys [​IMG]
    If anyone out there can answer my other query....
    "On a related note, perhaps any cartoon fans can help me - I remember a 'toon as a kid - it was a spooky cartoon in some kind of chemist's shop with lots of dancing bottles and evil looking alchemists bottles at - I'm sure it had a character in it, at one point who got trapped in the bottles and sifted round the pipes - I can't rememeber any more, - does anyone know what this is?"
    I'd really appreciate it - thanks
    MA

10. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart
    That cartoon is "Bottles" which was made at MGM by Hugh Harmon and Rudy Ising.

It was probably made in 1936 or 37.

11. Mark Anthony

Mark Anthony Second Unit

Patrick, you have no idea how grateful I am - I first (and last) saw that cartoon when I was about 5 and it's stuck in my mind ever since - but I couldn't remember anything about it!
    Thankyou, thankyou, thankyou [​IMG] you truly are a [​IMG]
    I don't suppose you happen to know if it was ever released on home video or if it is likely to ever turn up on DVD (the later part a silly questions I know)....

12. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart
    A complete box set of "Happy Harmonies" which had pretty much all of the Hugh Harmon and Rudolf Ising cartoons (they produced and directed)...on laserdisc.

Cartoon Network frequently airs these cartoons on "Acme Hour" and sometimes on "Droopy"

13. JeremySt

JeremySt Screenwriter

Jeremy
    Quite a few of the Tom and Jerry shorts were released theatrically in Cinemascope. Does anyone know if the DVD contains these, and are they shown in OAR?

14. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart
    None of the CinemaScope cartoons have been put on DVD yet.
    They were OAR, though, on laserdisc.
    Check out http://looney.toonzone.net for pictures comparing P&S and LBX versions of some of those cartoons.

15. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer