Tom & Jerry Aspect Ratios

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ernesto Santos, Jan 27, 2002.

1. Ernesto Santos

Ernesto Santos Stunt Coordinator

Last night I was watching a Tom & Jerry toon on the Cartoon Network and it was very obvious that the 4:3 formatiing of the presentation was leaving a lot of image information out. Were any of the T&J cartoons made in widescreen? It seems that they should have since the better ones were done in the fifties. Are they available in their OAR on DVD? I heard that those available on DVD have been censored (edited for content).

2. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

I was wondering this as well. Not only with Tom and Jerry, but with some of the Looney Toon cartoons as well.

But as far as T and J goes, there was one shot a few nights ago where Tom and his Cousin where under a rug, tom head in front, cousin tail in back, running across a long hallway. Jerry's reaction was cut out, because he was off screen..... This seems like a widescreen shot to me...

3. JeremySt

JeremySt Screenwriter

Jeremy
    Yes. Many Tom and Jerry shorts were done in Cinerama widescreen. Often, Cartoon Network will show the opening credits to those particular shorts in OAR, so it is easy to see which ones they are. As a station devoted to treating classic cartoons much the same as TCM treats classic movies, it confuses me that Cartoon Network would not have some sort od "special" devoted to showing widescreen cartoons in OAR. Or, dare I dream, show them in OAR as a general rule.

4. Adam Buchsbaum

I believe those cartoons are available in their OAR on the "The Art of Tom & Jerry Volume 2" laserdisc box set.

5. Justin T

Justin T Agent

Yes, Tom and Jerry had ARs between 2.35:1 and 2.55:1. Panning and scanning does occur on most 4:3 versions.

6. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    The Tom & Jerry cartoons made BEFORE the CinemaScope cartoons came out (all CinemaScope T&J's have the CS credit.) were meant to be seen at 1.33:1

The cartoons during the CinemaScope period (1955-1957) were meant to be seen at 2.55:1. BUT...there's a few CinemaScope cartoons made at this time that were filmed TWICE...once in Academy Ratio (1.33:1) and then again in 2.55:1 CinemaScope.

The Gene Deitch and Chuck Jones Tom & Jerry cartoons made in the 1960's are meant to be seen at 1.66:1 or 1.77:1

7. paul o'donnell

paul o'donnell Second Unit

What Patrick said, apart from the fact that the Gene Deitch and Chuck Jones T&J cartoons aren't meant to be seen at all [​IMG]
    personal note: Tom and Jerry attained perfection just before the widescreen era. (50-53) [​IMG]
    Also, check out this pirate set, that I found on ebay:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI...tem=1504920601
    Also, a list of the Hanna Barberra cartoons in order:
    http://tomandjerrycartoons.com/tj.html
    I think Neapolitan Mouse was the first widescreen one, but dont take my word for it, its around there somewhere though.

8. Neil S. Bulk

Neil S. Bulk Screenwriter

Neil S. Bulk

9. Daniel L

Daniel L Stunt Coordinator

Volume 3 of The Art of Tom & Jerry was devoted to all of Chuck Jones' catroon, which were full frame.
    Out of mercy, MGM never bothered releasing the Italian crap on Laserdisc. Of course since Warner now controls all of these catroons we'll probably see them before we ever see the widescreen catroons. [​IMG]
    Daniel L

10. GerardoHP

GerardoHP Supporting Actor

Gerardo Paron

11. Ernesto Santos

Ernesto Santos Stunt Coordinator

Wow, you guys really know you T&J facts. Thanks alot for the responses. Another case of the studios not recognizing a real demand for this material. What a shame.

12. Richard Kim

Richard Kim Producer

The 2.55:1 T&J cartoons have the CinemaScope logo in the credits. Unfortunately Cartoon Network presents them in pan'n'scan, and they look like absolute crap.

13. Kwang Suh

Kwang Suh Supporting Actor

WTF?!?! I feel as though part of my childhood has just been ripped out, pan&scan style. Damn it, all the T&J I've seen but actually haven't. Arg.

14. JeremySt

JeremySt Screenwriter

Jeremy
    Sorry.Cinemascope. My bad.:b

15. Brian Cruz

Brian Cruz Agent

16. Patrick_J

Patrick_J Agent

Wow, this is timely. I was just investigating T&J cartoons on DVD this morning. Now I guess I'll wait.

Thanks for starting this thread!

-pjc

17. paul o'donnell

paul o'donnell Second Unit

That website has "Pet Peeve" as the first of the cinemascope Tom and Jerry cartoons, so I'll go with that one. Strike my earlier "Neopolitan Mouse" remark, I was only out by 2 though [​IMG].
    Also, cartoon network over here (UK) have shown "The Egg and Jerry" in cinemascope many times, and it is very cool that they do. None of the others though :

18. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

You can get tons of Tom & Jerry box sets from Japan, I don't know if they're OAR or not (or uncensored). The listings are out of order, but each disc runs around 2 hours for $15 a pop (discs are R2)
    http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/search.html...y&restrict=DVD
    Much better than the 1 craptastic disc Warner gave us here

19. bill lopez

bill lopez Second Unit

Hey answer me this please.

I remember in some episodes they had a black house keeper but would only show her from the knees down. Because of this Political Correct b.s. did they cut those scenes out?

20. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    That's part of the joke.
    She's called "Mammy Two-Shoes" because you only see here legs and arms (usually with a broom...) (although...in one cartoon, you can see her face for a split-second.)
    There was a funny artwork made that showed the true identity of Mammy...it's Groucho Marx wearing fake pants. [​IMG]