What's new

A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood (2019)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Title: A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood (2019)

Genre: Drama

Director: Marielle Heller

Release: 2019-11-22

Plot: An award-winning cynical journalist, Lloyd Vogel, begrudgingly accepts an assignment to write an Esquire profile piece on the beloved television icon Fred Rogers. After his encounter with Rogers, Vogel's perspective on life is transformed.

Tom Hanks putting on his loafers in Mister Rogers Neighborhood.

http://money.cnn.com/2018/01/29/media/fred-rogers-tom-hanks-movie/index.html

I enjoyed Mister Robinson's Neighborhood a little more.:)

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/mister-robinsons-neighborhood/n9101?snl=1

Last edited by a moderator:

WillG

Senior HTF Member
As beloved as Fred Rogers was, did he really have that interesting of a life story?

I can already see the movie ending with him speaking before congress about funding for PBS.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
As beloved as Fred Rogers was, did he really have that interesting of a life story?
They were wondering the same thing on Howard Stern this morning and they said how the movie would be about how a cynical journalist got assigned to do a piece on Mr. Rogers that wasn't particularly interested in doing it but meeting Rogers changed his life for the better (check out Robert's link in post #2). I'd say that it loosely seems to be more in the vein of Saving Mr. Banks (where it picks a small period of time involving two people) rather than a straight up Mr. Rogers biopic.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
More and more, I'm enjoying that kind of "small focus" biopic over the "all encompassing entire life" style that used to be more heavily favored. It's a better opportunity to see a character portrayed in depth rather than just checking off boxes of career highlights.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
More and more, I'm enjoying that kind of "small focus" biopic over the "all encompassing entire life" style that used to be more heavily favored. It's a better opportunity to see a character portrayed in depth rather than just checking off boxes of career highlights.
I agree with you as you can capture the essence of a person in a short period of time without having to show their whole life.

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper

I can already see the movie ending with him speaking before congress about funding for PBS.

Wait, wasn't he a trained assassin for the CIA? https://www.snopes.com/radiotv/tv/mrrogers.asp ;)

As a child of course I never thought about it, but now it seems to me that having a character named Mr. McFeely on a kids show probably isn't the best idea.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
While I don't think Hanks is right for the part, I can't think of any actor today who'd be right for the part. Mr. Rogers had a most unique persona and presentation style and a calm demeanor that simply isn't called for in any scripts. Most actors become stars by playing more expressive characters at much higher volumes. I thought of Bryan Cranston, but there's such a coiled-spring quality to his performances that if you watched him playing Fred Rogers, you'd keep waiting for the man to explode and when he didn't you'd feel let down, like we were missing something.

Truth to tell, Hanks is the calmest star of his generation, so he gets the role by default. However, if Keanu Reeves were a little older...I'm only half-kidding. To be honest, I'd actually find that a more interesting idea than Hanks' casting, although I don't know if the finished product would meet with as much approval. That is, I'd be more inclined to see said film with Reeves in the role, but I'd probably be in a strict minority.

Actually, if you were making a movie about a character like Mr. Rogers, but he happened to be black, Eddie Murphy at this stage of his career, as Robert Crawford obliquely (and slyly) suggested in his opening post, wouldn't be a bad choice, although Denzel would certainly get that part by default.

Last edited:

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
As a prelude, Colin Hanks played Fred Rogers in a recent episode of Drunk History.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
While I don't think Hanks is right for the part, I can't think of any actor today who'd be right for the part. Mr. Rogers had a most unique persona and presentation style and a calm demeanor that simply isn't called for in any scripts. Most actors become stars by playing more expressive characters at much higher volumes. I thought of Bryan Cranston, but there's such a coiled-spring quality to his performances that if you watched him playing Fred Rogers, you'd keep waiting for the man to explode and when he didn't you'd feel let down, like we were missing something.

Truth to tell, Hanks is the calmest star of his generation, so he gets the role by default. However, if Keanu Reeves were a little older...I'm only half-kidding. To be honest, I'd actually find that a more interesting idea than Hanks' casting, although I don't know if the finished product would meet with as much approval. That is, I'd be more inclined to see said film with Reeves in the role, but I'd probably be in a strict minority.

Actually, if you were making a movie about a character like Mr. Rogers, but he happened to be black, Eddie Murphy at this stage of his career wouldn't be a bad choice, although Denzel would certainly get that part by default.

Well, unlike Denzel, Eddie Murphy has had some previous experience! ;)
eddiemurphysnl.jpg

CHEERS! :)

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Thought about SNL a little bit when he's singing and taking his shoes off, but soon I accept Tom Hanks as Mister Rogers. I think it will be fine. Just proves NOBODY, not even Tom Hanks, can't fill that man's shoes.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks